UFC 161: 'Henderson vs Evans'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll pick Jim via kimura, Round 2.

Not a wise choice,.Despite my love for MMA I run a mile from any trouble and have never had a proper fight in my life. That said, I am quite quick and not in bad shape, so I could out run Wand, let him tire out and push him over with a big stick from the distance.So maybe go by TKO.

• Paid Members

Bit of a flat show really up until the last two fights.

Rashad vs Hendo

I'm glad this surpassed my expectations. I really liked this fight, Rashad looked much better than he did against Nog. Right away just the way he was moving you could see more urgency. Hendo surprised me with his takedown defence. That sounds weird to say of an Olympic wrestler but he has shown weakness there before. And he gave Rashad a good old scare with that knockdown in round 1, Rashad came back well to wobble him back. I thought the two judges who had it 29-28 Rashad had it right. I thought he won the 2nd and 3rd. Didn't really get the booing, it wasn't a bad decision, maybe just disappointment because Hendo is more popular.

Real good fight though. I wish it was 5 rounds.

Nelson vs Miocic

Well I guess we did all overlook Stipe. Roy looked shit. Just relied on that haymaker landing and seemed to have no plan B at all, and he was gassed to fuck within a round. He looks like he's put any weight he lost back on as well. He was slimming down for a while wasn't he? Not anymore. I think Roy's the type of guy who wins a few and gets complacent and slacks off training.

Interesting to see where Roy's contract negotiations go now. That was the last fight on his contract and he looked really bad. He's in a tough spot now. Maybe he was thinking retirement anyway. Who knows with Roy.

Stipe looked really good though. He's bounced back from the Struve fight well. It probably won't happen next, but I'd like to see Stipe vs Hunt at some point.

Jimmo vs Pokrajac

This was dull as dishwater after round 1. Not really much more to say about it.

Davis vs Sexton was a gruelling battle, pretty good technical ground fight, although the standup was ugly. Sexton did a great job surviving that triangle in round 1 and I think I'd actually give her the round on damage from the hammerfists. I gave Rosi the 3rd as well. But I had Davis winning round 2 big, I scored it 10-8 so I actually had the fight a draw. But it was a tricky one to score. Rosi will have earned herself another fight though with that performance, Davis was pretty highly favoured by most going in and Rosi gave her a really good run for her money.

Jordan vs Barry

I was 50/50 going in but I picked Barry. He might be gone now after that. He was coming off a win but he's lost 4 of his last 6 fights and this one was in under a minute. I don't know, maybe he'll get another shot, he is fairly popular and usually exciting. Good win for Jordan though, you'd never pick him out as someone who could do a backflip.

Shields vs Woodley was shit. Sapped the life out of the crowd and me. A bad choice to lead into a PPV with as well, I doubt that fight got anyone rushing to order the show. They were probably hoping Woodley would score another quick KO like in the Hieron fight and get people buzzing and reaching for the phone but Shields nearly always finds a way to negate fighter's strengths, and negate any chance of excitement at the same time. He's a tough fighter and skilled but his style consistently makes for some of the most boring fights you'll ever see. Woodley was as much to blame in this one though.

Wasn't much keen on Robertson vs Pierson either, aside from that mad exchange in the 3rd (I think) it was a bit flat. Same for Clarke vs Maguire. Maguire's probably gone now I reckon. Shame, he looked promising in his first two fights.

On the positives though, I really enjoyed Stout vs Krause (really impressed with Krause, who I only remembered as the guy Cerrone made short work of in the WEC going in), Figueroa vs Delorme (although I was hoping Figueroa would win, great fight though) and Jabouin vs Pague (Awesome first round. Thought Pague should have got the decision though).

It had it's moments but it wasn't the best show, it would have no doubt benefitted a lot from that Shogun vs Nog fight we were meant to have. Barao vs Wineland probably would have been good as well. Glad the main event turned out good though.

Awards were;

Fight Of The Night: Krause vs Stout

KO Of The Night: Shawn Jordan

Submission Of The Night: James Krause

Personally I scored the main event for Henderson but can't argue with the decision. Amazingly, even though Henderson has finally looked his age since the 4th round of the Shogun fight he is still competitive against the likes of Evans and Machida. Thank God he never got to fight Jones because I don't think that would have ended well for him. I'd like him to fight Wanderlei once more as it'd be a super fun fight and, if they're considering retirement, a great way to go out. Is that Big Roy out of the UFC then? He looked terrible.

• Paid Members

A flat event as Wand says but I was extremely impressed with Rashad. He fought extremely intelligently but not in a too caucious way. His flurries were crisp and out moved Henderson. I thought Dan just stood there, same body shape, simply waiting for that big right without having a plan b. Outside of that jab in the first round I thought Evans outclassed him in his movement and game plan.

• Paid Members

Hendo vs Wand 3 is a great shout. Just thinking of possible next fights for some of the winners/losers from last night.

Rashad Evans - I'd go with Glover Teixeira. Makes sense now. Glover mentioned possibly fighting the winner of Rashad/Hendo and it's the bug name win he needs to really make his case for a title shot. A win for Rashad would immediately put him right back "in the mix". Plus we'd likely get to see Glover's wrestling tested which is one of the few remaining questions on him.

Dan Henderson - yeah, a rubber match with Wandy would be awesome. Especially if they're planning on going back to Japan anytime soon. Guaranteed fun fight and it would work out timing-wise. Hendo said at the press conference he wants to fight before the end of the year, Wand's mentioned wanting to fight around December. Why not?

Stipe Miocic - bit of a tricky one. Maybe Todd Duffee? would seem like a step back after Nelson but who else is available? Would be exciting as well. Maybe he could even fight Werdum? He's probably looking at a bit of a wait between fights so they might book him again.

Roy Nelson - let's finally get that Mark Hunt fight booked.

Alexis Davis - I think a fight with Sara McMann is the logical choice. Would be interesting style-wise with Davis' BJJ vs McMann's wrestling. If not, maybe she gets Julie Kedzie if she wins next month.

Rosi Sexton - could do that Sheila Gaff fight which was supposed to happen before they both got signed by Zuffa. There's backstory there with the PED accusations and stuff.

Didn't really get the booing, it wasn't a bad decision, maybe just disappointment because Hendo is more popular.

I think the booing may have been because overall the show was shit. I found myself struggling to stay awake during this event, and I watched it on Sunday morning!

Didn't really get the booing, it wasn't a bad decision, maybe just disappointment because Hendo is more popular.

I think the booing may have been because overall the show was shit. I found myself struggling to stay awake during this event, and I watched it on Sunday morning!
Sounds like Calgary revisisted. Least Hendo vs. Evans was better than their last fights. Gave it to Evans. Bad year for Hendo so far. Unfortunate for him he got injured when he was going to fight Jon Jones for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. The women delivered again, enjoyed this division since it debuted more than the Flyweights.

Alexis Davis - I think a fight with Sara McMann is the logical choice. Would be interesting style-wise with Davis' BJJ vs McMann's wrestling. If not, maybe she gets Julie Kedzie if she wins next month.Rosi Sexton - could do that Sheila Gaff fight which was supposed to happen before they both got signed by Zuffa. There's backstory there with the PED accusations and stuff.

McMann and Gaff have fights booked already. Actually all of the women in the UFC do, so they'll have to wait and see what happens before they choose the next matchups.

Sounds like Calgary revisisted. Least Hendo vs. Evans was better than their last fights. Gave it to Evans. Bad year for Hendo so far. Unfortunate for him he got injured when he was going to fight Jon Jones for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. The women delivered again, enjoyed this division since it debuted more than the Flyweights.

Yeah, Hendo and Evans bettered their last performances, but that's more a sign of how shit they were last time than it is their performances last night. Put it this way, neither of them looks like they'll ever be in contention for the title again, and if this is the level Henderson is fighting at now he was lucky to avoid Jones.

Yeah, Hendo and Evans bettered their last performances, but that's more a sign of how shit they were last time than it is their performances last night. Put it this way, neither of them looks like they'll ever be in contention for the title again, and if this is the level Henderson is fighting at now he was lucky to avoid Jones.
I agree with you on all that. Really didn't like the last fights Hendo and Evans had before last night. Lucky we got Rousey vs. Carmouche as the main event on the card Machida vs. Hendo was the co-main event on, UFC 157. Rousey vs. Carmouche is still one of the best fights this year matching the great build it had.

Archived