The Best Man Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

So, in about a years time i'm due to be a best man. I'm mainly starting this thread to seek a bit of advice on organising the Stag, but thought this could be used as a general thread for discussing being a best man and advice and tips on taking the honour.Now, i'm not usually the type to organise a big night out or do things like that for my birthday and shit like that. So a lot of my mates are enjoying giving me some stick in thinking i'm never going to be able to get a Stag organised. Also, obviously with the speech, but i'm not sweating that at all really, I more or less know what i'm going to say already. They may have a point on the Stag though, as the Groom to be initially decided he wanted to do a crawl around Europe over a week. I loved the idea, but realised I had a serious fucking mission on my hands. He wanted to go with no real luggage or anything, just a continued piss-up with brief sleep stop-offs. Knowing the sort of state he can get in at the best of times and that when i'm out and on a special occasion I enjoy a good drink too, but would be having to make sure everyone and everything was on schedule (which I hate too much of on a holiday as it is) the chances of pulling it off successfully did seem slim. He's since changed his tune though and is happy to just go one place in particular, perhaps foolishly though i'm determined to make it an epic trip and said I reckon we could hit a few spots over Europe over a week if we're logical about it. Starting to look to put this into action, I txt him the other day to give me the names and contact details of everyone he wants to go and 7 places he fancies hitting. With the idea that, depending on what he gave i'd select 3 places to try and go. He gave me:PragueBarcelonaBerlinBerneBudapestViennaCopenhagenI'm quite pleased with the choices as I've never been to any of them and fancy a few, which makes it less of a burden sorting as i'd actually like to hit and experience a few of those spots. Currently i'm thinking of going with Prague, Barca and Budapest. But would appreciate any feedback, advice, recommendations on those 3 or any of the others and if any of you have ever put together something like this. I intend to get in touch with everyone and start up a pot that everyone contributes a small amount (say

• Paid Members

I've been best man twice. First time for my brother in law (sister's now husband) and the second time for one of my best friends. Sorting out the stag do for the first one (only Watford, as it had to be a cheap, cheerful and relatively local affair) was a joy- everyone was helpful, suggestive, easy-going and paid up without a problem. We had a cracking night and everyone got on like a house on fire. Second stag do- which took place in Bristol over a weekend- was a fucking mare to sort out. Mainly because my mates now-wife is a massive cunt and her family are full of cunts too. Proper scumbag washouts from Edmonton. I lost out on more than

• Paid Members

Starting up a pot for everyone to put in gradually is a good idea. You'll be fine with it, you can't go too far wrong really, especially if you're able to go to all/any of those places. I think it's more about who turns up than where you go really. If you get a good group together you'll have a great night wherever you go.

I was best man at my brother's wedding a couple of years ago, we didn't do anything massive and it was easy enough to organise. We went to Dublin for the weekend and it turned out to be an awesome couple of days.

I thought my speech was shit on the day but it seemed to go down well enough. The speech was the bit I was dreading most, personally.

EDIT - Punkstep's Stag advice is spot on. Don't fuck about too much asking everyone what they want to do. Just organise something and tell them.

• Paid Members

I've been to Prague & have mates that went on a stag to Barcelona. Prague is a cheap city to eat & drink in, friends said that in the clubs & main bars of Barcelona it got quite expensive. An important factor to consider IMO as the group will likely consist of people with different levels of disposable income & the euro rate is wank at the moment (I bet Vienna would be expensive). Noticed a few nightclubs & strip bars/brothels catering for stag parties & if any of were feeling particularly adventurous there's always this - Big Sister (NSFW)

Some lads I know did an afternoon trip to a shooting range & usedt AK47's, Uzi's & pump action shotguns,which they said was awesome.

• Paid Members

Cheers for some of these responses lads. I certainly intend to just organise it and tell everyone, rather than asking the group what they'd fancy. I only asked that of the Stag himself, and i'm happy to go with one or a few of his responses. My mates are a fucking nightmare for this sort of shit in general, so to ask them what they reckon is a definite no go. There's one who's the tightest cunt in the land and always thinks he knows what's best to do, what's hot and what's not and is almost always completely wrong with it as well. He'll have a moan up on whatever's selected, but fuck him i'd be perfectly happy to cut him.

Deadman, the shooting range with AK47s and Uzi's sounds all sorts of awesome. I fancy a bit of that myself and I know the stag would absolutely love that shit, as would most of the group actually. I'm all over that, that's definitely a great shout for an activity. More info there please would be very much appreciated.

• Paid Members

Arranging a Stag Do can be a nightmare. If it's your responsibility to arrange it all you certainly need to be a bit ruthless about it. It needs to be a 'This is what's happening, are you in or out?' type of deal. I haven't had that responsibility myself, but I've been involved in the process a few times. The amount of fannying about can be absolutely excruciating. It is a real shame if some friends find themselves priced out of it or not able to attend a foreign excursion due to other commitments (families etc), but ultimately you have to do what is best for the main man himself and make sure that he gets the send-off he'll never forget. The mates that really want to be involved will find a way, but there is certainly a difficult balance to be struck between 'ultimate Stag Do' and what is reasonable.

• Paid Members

The main advise ask the dam Stag!

After all its his night/weekend. Unless of course he has told you to do what ever. I ran everything past my Stag before booking it as thats the way he wanted it. The result was he got what he wanted and the people he wanted.

Its hard to arrange something when sometimes you dont know the people going. I have been on one that had a 50% drop out as they went to abroad and the bestman didnt bother asking the stag if everyone could afford it or take time off work.

Ended in a huge row.

The main advise ask the dam Stag!

After all its his night/weekend. Unless of course he has told you to do what ever. I ran everything past my Stag before booking it as thats the way he wanted it. The result was he got what he wanted and the people he wanted.

This is a good point. I basically worked out the options (we were renting a big country house for a weekend and then did assorted activities around there), worked out a top 3 with all the info then just went for a pint with the groom and he decided which he liked best. That way I knew he was getting roughly what he wanted but without him feeling he had to do very much to get it sorted (far too many other things to think about at that point)

• Paid Members

I've got my stag weekend next April, so still quite a while to go, but I'm hoping for a big lads weekend in Amsterdam. Im normally a bit of a control freak, especially when it comes to holdays, but unfortunately my best men (I've got 4, don't ask) have told me that I'm not allowed to know anything until the day, which is pretty worrying.

Btw, anyone on here that knows me and wants in just let me know and I'll make sure you're kept in the loop

• Paid Members

We didn't have a stag do due to the groom thinking he would wake up tied to a crossbar in the scuddy. I wish we had went paintballing as was rumoured. Would have been great. Feel like he's missed out.

Bro's mate, Brian, did a cracking job as best man. Did all the stories and everything. Can't fault him. He was excellent.

• Paid Members
We didn't have a stag do due to the groom thinking he would wake up tied to a crossbar in the scuddy. I wish we had went paintballing as was rumoured. Would have been great. Feel like he's missed out.

Bro's mate, Brian, did a cracking job as best man. Did all the stories and everything. Can't fault him. He was excellent.

This seems to be the main problem with stags they think they will get stripped bollock naked painted and sent to the Sudan, Which is why i always like to run it past them.

I think at somepoint people have to work out this isnt the "hangover" and its not all about them. Sure some guys love all that stuff but fuck me it gets a bit nasty when they dont and the "best man" allows others in the party to take over.

Nothing worse than a night that ends with the Groom calling all his mates Cunts before stomping off to the hotel

Archived