Raw Discussion 15/04/2013

Callum1993

Pretty much everything I liked about last weeks Raw was reversed for this one, I know there was no chance the crowd would be as hot as last week but everything was terrible except for Lesnar, even Fandango's valet didn't look that smart this week

It's tempting to feel sorry for Ziggler being booked so badly but the bloke obviously has no bollocks backstage, if I was him (which I'm not obviously) I'd have told them to fuck off when they told him he was losing to not only someone who isn't over but a fellow heel who isn't over, no wonder they enjoy fucking with Ziggler so much, he must be the biggest mark to ever work for WWE

The Bella's looked belting at least

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agreed, I've no sympathy for Ziggler. He's been guilty of this a zillion times in his career, almost getting as far as he's got in spite of his lack of backbone. Nobody in the history of the company ever has become a tippy toppy guy without fucking standing up for themselves once in a while. It's absolutely no different to any work situation where somebody legitmately good at a task but too nice to ever say no will get work piled on them with no credit for doing all the extra. Every office has one, and I bet half of us have been it at some point. I hope he's happy to do millions of jobs forever because I imagine that's all he'll get to do, whether he's carrying belts around or not.

I thought the Ryback segment was decent, certainly better than him being in the ring live talking. But, yeah, he shouldn't be talking at all. Neither should he be backing away from Cena for that matter, just like Every Other Guy.

When Ryback faced Punk in a cell he spent most of the match being outsmarted and on the back foot. His power was shown as irrelevant. Ryback is every other guy now.

• Paid Members

Wow, that was tosh and a smidgen of cack all rolled up into one.

What a difference a crowd makes, and whoever was editing the show had a stinker all night too, the monumental fuck up with The Shield at the end was the icing on the cake of an awful night where there showed crowd shots of men just stood up with arms folded bored stiff, a long shot of the titantron during Ryback's promo (which was like watching a washing machine drone on spin cycle with BLATANT cuts for line remembrance) where they showed a husband and wife having a cozy chat 100% uninterested. If you're pushing the 'Fandangoing' shit, and pushing it as the new great craze, don't show scenes of 30+ people where only a maximum of 5 people are bothering.

Brock was great.

Henry killing Seamus was great.

Pretty much everything else was a muddy tone of grey.

I bet Fandango is as pleased as fuck it's in London next week, it may rescue the failure of that episode. WWE need to hire a trumpeter for a few weeks to play that in the crowd till it happens week in week out.

WWE need to think twice about going back to these venues that are dead ... fuck 'em, only go there once every two years so they're hungrier, stick to the venues they know are gonna be rowdy over and over. They need to focus on the key demographic again now.

Cena's been with the company 10 years, his gimmicks been solid for 8+, all those 10 year olds that first bit are 18 and CM Punk fans, and yes there's still younguns in the crowd, but there needs to be some movement to keep a hold of the fans Cena brought in now they've grown up and like more adult things.

I'd have hated to have been sat in that crowd ready to outdo New Jersey and have been surrounded by that lot.

One other thing, those poor fuckers during the Swagger/Ziggler match that saw nothing at all because Big E was sat against the barrier blocking their view, there was a brief shot of one of them, a kid, who looked gutted at the fact he was staring at a big black man's back during an important match ... bless him.

• Paid Members
WWE need to think twice about going back to these venues that are dead ... fuck 'em, only go there once every two years so they're hungrier, stick to the venues they know are gonna be rowdy over and over. They need to focus on the key demographic again now.

I was actually thinking about this today having watched the show. Yeah they're taking in more money in ticket sales by covering a larger area, but these shows in Bumfuck, Kansas and Mudslick, Nebraska and so on are really just damaging to the product. Why should we, the television viewers, get excited when it's clear that nobody who's actually in attendance gives even a mouse-sized shit about 95% of the show? Imagine - if only for a few months - WWE stuck to towns like New York, Chicago, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia etc. Granted, most of those are on the Eastern seaboard, but just imagine how much more exciting and engaging the product would be to watch? Those towns are towns that actually give a shit and make a noise. While it makes little sense business wise by eliminating a lot of the country from your TV dates, the actual TV product itself would improve 10 fold just through the presence of an excited and rowdy crowd. Imagine if they'd have done the Fandango thing from Philly last night for example. It seems much likelier that those people would have latched on and at least they'd have done a much better job than last night's lot and the way that will have reflected on TV would have made Fandango seem massively over two weeks in a row allowing him to build more momentum.

I know some towns seem shitter than others, but to be honest I think they're a better barometer for the state of the product. I really enjoyed elements of the show last week, but I was just as annoyed by other parts due to loads of the arseholes in the crowd trying to get themselves over in the name of having a good time. Chicago is an example of getting it right, but to be fair they've been fed probably the two best PPVs of the last two years, and IIRC, a pretty great Raw too, so they're basking in the glory of several ace shows. Ergo, the crowds will still be hot for a few shit ones until the dew's off the lily like it is in these Bumblefuck places. I forget where it was, but there was a great crowd at one of the stronger pre-Mania Raw's, and that show leapt off the screen for it. They were great because they invested in the product, not because the chanted for the LOLz of it all. The Ziggler pop was a real goosebumper, but this week exposed how much of that was down specifically to the type of audience they had in. Those crowds tend not to like Mizark, but he goes down a storm most weeks. Being brutal, if Dolph doesn't get better reactions off the regulars, he doesn't really deserve the spot he's now in.

Cena's been with the company 10 years, his gimmicks been solid for 8+, all those 10 year olds that first bit are 18 and CM Punk fans, and yes there's still younguns in the crowd, but there needs to be some movement to keep a hold of the fans Cena brought in now they've grown up and like more adult things.

In this sentiment you've said "Cena fans are children. The original children are now 18 and CM Punk fans." And then you've said "to keep hold of those fans they need to change Cena." No they don't. You've said that they now like Punk, which presumably means they're watching the product for Punk.

Don't worry, I won't point out your absolute bollocks notion that all Cena fans are children.

• Paid Members

Another thing that made no sense, the commentary team mentioning Cesaro hadn't lost the belt to an American and mentioning Kofi was African, and then Kofi saying he'd brought the belt back home ... eh?

Only thought of this when wondering where they'll go with Kofi now, with his pushing of 'I can fly' and signalling every time he does indeed 'fly' is this the time to bring in a cocky Brit to out-fly him and take his title? There's a WCW Cruiser type fued waiting to happen over that title with Pac going against Kofi now.

• Paid Members

In this sentiment you've said "Cena fans are children. The original children are now 18 and CM Punk fans." And then you've said "to keep hold of those fans they need to change Cena." No they don't. You've said that they now like Punk, which presumably means they're watching the product for Punk.

Don't worry, I won't point out your absolute bollocks notion that all Cena fans are children.

It's not EXACTLY what I was getting at, I was alluding more to the possible shift in direction of the product somewhat.

I equate it to the early 90s fans that grew tired of the cartoon pap, and were reignited in the change of direction ECW, NWO and Attitude brought.

Cena is Cena, and that's great. I don't think anyone can do what he does for that company, great matches and a mahoosive cashcow to milk that may never dry. But when you've worked solid to bring in an abundance of fans of an age, you need to work with their growth and attitude change to hold them. Punk does this to a degree, but a change to grab the attention of those they've drawn to the product somewhat would assist with longevity of the overall product, which is failing in many many areas. With the odd break through, and fly by night cult attractions being the norm nowadays.

There was no sentiment, and by paraphrasing me you've assumed a great deal, when I say " his gimmicks been solid for 8+ " I mean it. It'a a phenomenon! And will roll and roll ... and fucking great as it's bringing people into a world I adore and hope they will too, yeah I hate his jokey ha ha promos, but undeniably he's THE draw and has had THE matches on many a card. Which makes your assumption I said " they need to change Cena " laughable, I was alluding to the product around him.

Don't worry I won't point out your absolute bollocks assumption that I notioned ALL Cena fans are children, but I will mention the vast vast majority are of a younger age, and I do question how many fans have been drawn to WWE by Cena, but then outgrown him and in turn outgrown the product.

To paraphrase myself, Cena is great at what he does and I think it was Dick Murdoch who said he should never change heel as he's past that stage now, but the product does need to evolve around Cena somewhat to hopefully step away from the year long set script of WM to WM that it's seemingly become.

Another thing that made no sense, the commentary team mentioning Cesaro hadn't lost the belt to an American and mentioning Kofi was African, and then Kofi saying he'd brought the belt back home ... eh?

Only thought of this when wondering where they'll go with Kofi now, with his pushing of 'I can fly' and signalling every time he does indeed 'fly' is this the time to bring in a cocky Brit to out-fly him and take his title? There's a WCW Cruiser type fued waiting to happen over that title with Pac going against Kofi now.

Kofi's flying, though. I've seen him do a cross body, and maybe a missile dropkick from the top turnbuckle. It's not exactly daredevil stuff. Even your mid-range guys who barely jump do those. I don't get it.

Cesaro's title giveaway after an 8 month reign is fucking appalling too. They could have built a nice feud with someone new and made it mean something. Is it that bloody hard?

• Paid Members

Kofi's flying, though. I've seen him do a cross body, and maybe a missile dropkick from the top turnbuckle. It's not exactly daredevil stuff. Even your mid-range guys who barely jump do those. I don't get it.

It's where I'm thinking a 'You can't fly ... check this shit out' sort of feud would work wonders.

Cesaro's selling in that match was epic, does anyone do a 'knockout' sell better than him?

Archived