First mag, first video, first figure. GO!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my first ever pwi mag i bought, it had loads of information in there that i never knew. Reading that was when i found out the genious was macho mans brother. Probably my favourite mag ever that one. Gutted a cut a few pics out of it to cover my school books.

First magazine

I was really into WWF, but this was the first wrestling magazine I ever saw on the shelf of a newsagent, specifically John Menzies in Newcastle-under-Lyme. It was just after ITV had started showing WCW Worldwide on a Saturday afternoon so I knew Sting was feuding with Big Van Vader, and this cover looked awesome:

WCWMagazine.jpg

I also confess to it having a spread on the Madusa v Missy Hyatt Bikini Contest featuring both of them in very, VERY, skimpy bikinis. For a 10 year old, this was amazing.

beachblast.jpg

First Video

Bought as a present one weekend for helping my dad clean the car, this was the first WrestleMania I owned on video. I loved it, from the new look for Shawn Michaels to the Bret Hart v Roddy Piper match, to Flair v Savage, to Hogan v Sid. I thought it was awesome.

j76p76.jpg

First figure.

I figured there was no point having a wrestler without the ring, so I saved up for the ring and got this Hogan figure free from Argos.

il_340x270.438895133_rlcn.jpg

My mum generously bought me the Ultimate Warrior figure with his legs stuck together so he could fight him. My first fantasy match was recreating the main event of WrestleMania VI!

Fantastic Thread.

My First Magazine

December_1991_-_Vol._10,_No._12.jpg

First Video, A birthday present, the local video shop copied these for me

WWE-RoyalRumble-1990.jpg

159d024128a08950d9c9f010.L.jpg

Two first figures got both at the same time, and didnt know who either of them were cos i had only seen British wrestling at the time.

sdjones.jpg

P4021038.JPG

Aren't custom Hasbro's fucking brilliant?! If these were a click away in 1992, I'd have had my folks remortgaging their fucking house getting me stuff like this.

4878260127_5c937315a9_z.jpg

Those Virgil and DiBiase customs are fantastic!!

Ive often thought about starting a collection of custom Hasbros (and came really really close one time when I seen a custom Hayabusa!) but I always stop myself when I consider just how much money Id end up spending on them!

• Paid Members
sdjones.jpg

Shit, I always thought the was Koko B Ware! I had a few of those types as a small child and remember they were great for doing Figure 4's, because they were made of rubber. I always assumed they were knock offs or fakes, like those shitty 'thumb wrestlers' you'd see at the cheap shops and pound stores. Does anyone know who produced them?

As for my firsts:

JWF-391.jpg

I couldn't for the life of me remember my first magazine, but a quick Google image search brought a shedload of memories flooding back to me. I love the cover on this. Full of colour, as they all were. The magazines always really stood out on the shelves. Dazzling to a 8 year old boy. Probably bought from the Indoor Market, which was where I first discovered them on sale. I wish I had kept them all now.

survivorseries88.jpg

This seems to be a pretty popular choice on here. Cherished this as kid and watched it at every opportunity. I love that yellow background. It will always catch your eye. Pretty sure this tape is in a wardrobe at my parents house. I'll have to check on that.

akeem.jpg

I'll always remmeber Owen Whitcome's mother coming up to the school at lunchtime and passing him a newly purchased Hulk Hogan Hasbro through the bars at the school gate... It was the first time our local Woolworths had stocked them. I remember pleading with my Mam that night for one. I came home the next day and was given Akeem. It wasn't quite Hogan, but fuck it, it was a bonafide WWF wrestler. He would take pride of place for some time after a swift babyface turn.

• Paid Members

The thing that bothers me about those custom Hasbros is the fact that they knock them up in packaging with 'Official WWF' all over it, making them look like bootlegs and detracting from the fact that they are actually fantastic, lovingly crafted artistic tributes.

sdjones.jpg

Shit, I always thought the was Koko B Ware! I had a few of those types as a small child and remember they were great for doing Figure 4's, because they were made of rubber. I always assumed they were knock offs or fakes, like those shitty 'thumb wrestlers' you'd see at the cheap shops and pound stores. Does anyone know who produced them?

Yep they're LJN Official WWF figs. The series ran from 84-89 and because of the length of time it took for them to go from planning stages to being produced they churned out some very odd names such as SD Jones, Outback Jack, Corporal Kirschner, Ted Arcidi and others.

Archived