First mag, first video, first figure. GO!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Horowitz used to wrestle as Hart? it was still a strange tape to get, considering i only knew that the WWF and WCW existed, when i stuck that on i was like :confused: i'd love to watch it now though.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Sadly, i've never owned a wrestling figure but I still have my first magazine and video. I'll never forget my mum coming home clutching a Woolworths bag and saying she'd bought me a couple of things.

New socks for school, new tie (the previous school tie fell apart as a result of continued peanutting) and...

chredmag.jpg

wwfsurvivorseries19991.jpg

• Moderators
I'll have to check, but this might be Barry Horowitz using the "Brett Hart" name.

This one is unusual among the series as it doesn't have any commentary.

Looking at the other names on it, it appears to be Mid Atlantic in 1983, so that'd make sense as he'd just been doing jobs in New York as Jack Hart. I had a tape I bought from a car boot of the same era with fucking LOADS of King King Mosca and The Assassins on it. Fucking Mosca this, Mosca that.

I don't post on here often but I like this thread so here goes.

Like all wrestling fans as soon as I got into wrestling as a kid I was hooked and just wanted to collect anything WWF or wrestling related and my first magazine was this

First Magazine

wwf1990-08.jpg

It was late 1990. I was 8 and this magazine was my pride & joy, the first time I saw wrestling was Summerslam 90 & as My birthday wasn't until March I had to wait til Xmas to get my first wrestling toys..so this was a treasure to me. I still remember taking it out after school to show my mates, I had probably read every "article" a dozen times but it was all about the photo's if I'm honest. Then one fateful day after returning from School December 1990 it was gone.

My mum had often said that if i continue to leave things lying she would just bin them, but that was always an empty threat & lets be honest who would throw a fine piece of wrestling memorabilia such as that pictured above in the trash?

Super bitch "Lets get the house ready for Christmas" Mum that's who :(

She "thought I was done with it" :duh: I mean come on, why would I ever be done with it?... 22 years later that one still hurts.

Devastated I carried on in the hope that Santa (Yep still believed at 8 :blush:) would right the wrong & bring me new wrestling stuff for me to fixate on.. He did, although my request for Wrestling video's (3rd on my list behind a ring at #2 figures at #1) would go UN-noticed :angry: It wasn't until the following year Christmas morning that i opened this

First Video

fcifrd.jpg

To be honest this wasn't my first wrestling video purchase. My first was Royal Rumble 1991 purchased at the Barrowlands in Glasgow. It was not an official release some guy taped it directly from SKY and was shilling knock offs at

This is a great thread - fantastic memories.

My first magazine was this one:

WCW_Magazine_-_December_1991.jpg

Sorry - I couldn't find a bigger picture of the cover. I must have read it cover-to-cover at least a dozen times waiting for the next issue to come out. There was a picture in it of Lex Luger with Nikita Koloff in the Torture Rack in a cage, which I wanted to see really badly. Not sure it would live up to me expectations if I saw it now though (although Lex was great at that time and I thought Nikita was better than he gets credit for too).

My first video was The Great American Bash 1990.

WCW_The_Great_American_Bash_1990.jpg

It features some fantastic stuff. My favourite bits though are The Midnight Express vs Southern Boys in what I still rank as the best tag match I've ever seen, Doom vs The Rock and Roll Express (I was a massive Ron Simmons fan so loved it for that at the time. Watching it more recently it's Ricky Morton's selling of the beating he takes that is wonderful) and also Sting winning his first world title against Ric Flair - It's a great match with lots of heat.

Finally, my first figure:

arnanderson.jpg

I'd been gazing longingly at the figures for months and finally, in late 1991 my mum finally relented and let me have this - Arn Anderson. Purchased in Woolworths in Arbroath. I'd wanted Ron Simmons or Sid Vicious but they didn't have either in stock that day. I loved my Arn figure though - and he went on to have a cracking figure feud with another figure favourite, Big Josh, a year or so later over the WWA Media Title (which was one of the galoob belts tarted up a bit with Airfix paint).

• Paid Members

I had been watching one and off from around 97 so most of these likely aren't the firsts but their the ones that stand out from around 2000/2001

First Magazine

PWIDec02.png

I didn't really know much about the indies or Japan at the time so found this really interest, was also really weird finding out what former WWF and WCW guys I remembered were doing after they left the company, i'd assumed they'd just fallen off the face of the earth

First Video

41W7SG7VF9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This also had WWF Capital Carnage on it which if I recall had a confrontation between Shane McMahon and Vinnie Jones. The King of the Ring show was good and I always had a fondness for that gimmick after this/

First Figure

WCWGNF-03.JPG

I remember I wanted a Kane figure at the time so I was most perturbed when these guys showed up, I didn't know much WCW at the time apart from the likes of Hogan and Savage so I had no idea who these guys were and the magnets that attached them together made them pretty much useless in my figure federation. That alone relegated them to jobber status and I probably got more use out of the trash can that came with them.

No idea about magazine. First vid was prob this:

Survivor_Series_1989_DVD.jpg

SS 89. Picked it up a few years after it happened. It already felt prehistoric compared to the stuff on telly. Rick Martel before he was a model? Good guy 'rocker' Shawn Michaels? Macho King? There was even blokes that had no music! Nostalgia and all that but it remains one of my favourite shows, especially Hulkamaniacs v $ Team. Fucking ZEUS man. He's IMPERIOUS TO PAIN. He's blatantly harder than Hogan too and it always pissed me off that the idiot didn't eliminate him and got himself disqualified instead. (I was never into Hogan. I liked Warrior, Jake and all the heels. These Demolition guys seemed cool too.) Heenan Family vs The Warriors is a classic too, although I always felt kinda bad for Andre. Warrior just plasters the helpless giant and knocks him outside, seconds into the match. He's a sad sight struggling to get up for the count, bellowing some drunken gibberish. (I never knew he was French. Hearing him talk and watching him lumber I always thought he was mentally special or something.) I hated Warrior on this night. Poor Andre.

Figure;

m7lALt3XRvBJY5YLt49Cuag.jpg

I had the one in pink tights then swapped it with some kid. Loved this figure, could do suplexes, elbow, neckbreakers, flyiing forearms, brainbusters . . the lot. Never watched WCW for some reason so I invented my own Sting character. He was basically a proto - Steve Austin. Hyper intense, cursing brawler who liked to cut up his opponents. Especially . . .

WCWGUS-11L.JPG

I had loads of hasbros too but everything revolved around Sting v Pillman. Proper blood feud, must have had hundreds of bouts. They were the easiest and most fun figures to play with. Shoulda seen the workrate! My Pilllam made PAC look like Khali. Flippin' insane.

Memories :love:

• Paid Members

My first mag was this;

wwf_jan_1992.jpg

Found the cover quite fightening as a 6 year old. Still do to be honest. Even more frightening at the time were the pictures inside of Savage getting eaten by Jake's snake and the worrying story that the Rockers were apparently splitting up.

This must have been the mag which Shawn Michaels tore up on the Barbershop segment actually, after smacking Marty about and smashing his head through the window.

I've probably still got this and a load more WWF, WCW and Raw magazines in a box at my parents' house along with some Hasbros.

First video;

2007824044141.jpg

Still one of my favourite events to this day. I'd been solely watching WCW Worldwide on ITV until my Dad came home from work with this tape. I watched it relentlessly to the point I could probably have muted it and done the commentary myself word for word at the time. I think I thought back then that Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura must be the commentators on all wrestling. They were the voices of WCW Worldwide at the time and then I get my first taste of WWF and there they were again.

Just great memories of watching this. All the characters, all the colours, the entrance songs. The mental interviews from Piper ("First thing I'm gonna do, I'm gonna eat a garage" ??), Dusty, and Savage/Sherri/Zeus ("HULK HOGAN...BEEF...CAKE BARBER"). Rude and Heenan going beserk after losing to Warrior was ace as well. Everyone seemed off their tits in the interviews. Liz in the red dress was probably my first realisation that girls might be worth looking up from my Turtles book for. Some cracking matches like the Harts vs Tully and Arn, Rockers/Tito vs Rougeaus/Martel. Fantastic tape.

I used to look on the inside cover at all the other Coliseum releases and wish I had them all. My Dad made a rod for his own back with getting me SummerSlam '89 because I was nagging him to get more after that.

He came in with Hulkamania Forever a few nights later which was a great tape considering it had the full Warrior match on there, which I hadn't seen, and also the whole Earthquake killing Hogan bit complete with that awesome video and his comeback at SummerSlam '90.

I had just those two tapes for a while and then I saw my first WCW PPV that Christmas when I got this;

9c0ac27a02a04a6a2893a110.L.jpg

I loved that tape, I was a big Steiners fan so watching them knock the shit out of all the international teams made me happy. That proved they were the best in the world, they beat the terrifying tandem of Col Deklerk and Sgt Krueger of South Africa for fucks sake. And I remember being quite shocked to see actual blood on Barry Windham's head during the excellent Doom vs Horsemen street fight.

First Hasbro, I seem to have got my Hogans and Warriors in a different order to most. My first ever Hasbro was this beast;

warrior3pic.jpg

My second was this;

Hulk3.jpg

Seems most got the gorilla press Warrior and Hogan first. For a while they were having to fight the Turtles, Batman and the Ghost Busters until I got Earthquake, Savage, Dibiase and a few others. And finally the ring with Sgt Slaughter and the belt that Christmas.

First Figure

WCWGNF-03.JPG

I remember I wanted a Kane figure at the time so I was most perturbed when these guys showed up, I didn't know much WCW at the time apart from the likes of Hogan and Savage so I had no idea who these guys were and the magnets that attached them together made them pretty much useless in my figure federation. That alone relegated them to jobber status and I probably got more use out of the trash can that came with them.

I feel your pain, I had the Hollywood Hogan and Goldberg pair of these, the magnet even fell out of Goldberg. The rest of my WCW figures such as Konnan, Buff Bagwell and Macho Man were brilliant though.

Im really not sure what my first video or first figure was but I definately remember my first wrestling magazine. I found it in a little newsagents in Ebbw Vale in South Wales and read it cover to cover so many times.

90-031_zpsf57c5d1e.jpg

Today is a momentous occasion, I finally figured out how to attach a image to my posts, who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

• Paid Members

My first magazine was WCW:

wcw_nov_1991.jpg

I started watching the late night WCW Worldwide after that inane student cooking programme and Americas Top 10.

That then led me to my first two VHS (The other was Collision Course):

20130403-002848.jpg

I got these because I was a fan of Sting and also when I started watching Worldwide they were doing those skits with Paul E. and Missy Hyatt trying to discover what the Chamber of Horrors was going to be and I really wanted to see the Gimmick main event. What a disappointment that turned out to be.

I was going through a too cool for the WWF thing and I would only watch WCW, and ring those Superstars of wrestling incredibly expensive hotlines for a while.

I never collected figures. If I had any I think someone may have given me a Hogan figure. A friend of mine had an original Taker one as he was ahuge Taker fan, but thats about it.

This threads brought back a few memories. I've already said my firsts but somethings that jump out from reading other peoples.

I still have some of those USA Championship Wrestling tapes, most successfully converted to DVD but a few just wouldnt copy. I don't think I had the green one but I know I had the black, blue, yellow and pink ones.

The magnetic Raven was a bitch. I trapped that bit of skin between my finger and thumb on the leg of that fucker when I squeezed the legs to work the magnets so many times I actually started hating Raven. As crap as they were though I still regret not getting the pack with Malenko in as it was the only time I ever saw his figure on the shelves.

As for the Hasbro Ultimate Warrior, can't remember who said it but I bought one off a second hand market about 10 years ago and it had the fingers missing so either I ended up with yours or as you said it was a common problem.

Archived