First mag, first video, first figure. GO!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

did anyone actually use the 'moves' the wrestlers were intended to do? i always found that stuff pretty pointless, i hated the jumoers. Skinner was the worst hasbo though, he was fixed solid on the hips and his legs didnt move.

My favorite type was always the Earthquake style one which had free moving legs and arms, you could pull off a mean leg drop with them badboys.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
To be fair some of them weren't bad replacements, I mean you can't tell me the turtles' Bebop didn't make a good Brian Knobs ;)

14vs76a.jpg

The best figure swapping ever was former poster The Masked Avenger, who'd combine the Ghostbusters firehouse with Ted DiBiase to play Noel's House Party.

did anyone actually use the 'moves' the wrestlers were intended to do? i always found that stuff pretty pointless, i hated the jumoers. Skinner was the worst hasbo though, he was fixed solid on the hips and his legs didnt move.

Some of them worked ok. The spring loaded punches Hogan, Jake and Virgil could throw got an occasional outing, likewise the gorilla presses. The clothesline ones used to throw plenty of clotheslines but I rarely used the actual spring-waist feature for it. The Bushwhacker who did the stomp/punch had his feature used almost purely for stomping on the mat on the outside of the ring to try get the fans clapping while his partner got smacked around. I'd say bearhug Hogan was the the worst, he could do one of Hogan's poses, bearhug, sort of Piledriver and thats it. You couldn't even pin the bastard properly so daft was his pose!

First video was wrestlemanias greatest matches! Used to hire all the videos from my local newsagents, and looking back its strange to see how delayed the releases were! First mag must have been a wwf one prob around 1991. I've still got so many pwi's and all their affiliates from the mid 90's and all the issues of powerslam from 96-2003 but I'm

Fucked if I know where they are! Loved getting PS back in the day before I had the net in the mid 90's! Still think the period of 96-2001 was the best period of wrestling! Loved flicking between TNT and sky sports 2 on a Friday night, especially when the hart foundation were in full swing! Ahhh, the good old days

I had been watching one and off from around 97 so most of these likely aren't the firsts but their the ones that stand out from around 2000/2001

First Magazine

PWIDec02.png

I didn't really know much about the indies or Japan at the time so found this really interest, was also really weird finding out what former WWF and WCW guys I remembered were doing after they left the company, i'd assumed they'd just fallen off the face of the earth

First Video

41W7SG7VF9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This also had WWF Capital Carnage on it which if I recall had a confrontation between Shane McMahon and Vinnie Jones. The King of the Ring show was good and I always had a fondness for that gimmick after this/

First Figure

WCWGNF-03.JPG

I remember I wanted a Kane figure at the time so I was most perturbed when these guys showed up, I didn't know much WCW at the time apart from the likes of Hogan and Savage so I had no idea who these guys were and the magnets that attached them together made them pretty much useless in my figure federation. That alone relegated them to jobber status and I probably got more use out of the trash can that came with them.

Out of curiosity are the apter mags still going?! Kayfabe and all..

I had been watching one and off from around 97 so most of these likely aren't the firsts but their the ones that stand out from around 2000/2001

First Magazine

PWIDec02.png

I didn't really know much about the indies or Japan at the time so found this really interest, was also really weird finding out what former WWF and WCW guys I remembered were doing after they left the company, i'd assumed they'd just fallen off the face of the earth

First Video

41W7SG7VF9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This also had WWF Capital Carnage on it which if I recall had a confrontation between Shane McMahon and Vinnie Jones. The King of the Ring show was good and I always had a fondness for that gimmick after this/

First Figure

WCWGNF-03.JPG

I remember I wanted a Kane figure at the time so I was most perturbed when these guys showed up, I didn't know much WCW at the time apart from the likes of Hogan and Savage so I had no idea who these guys were and the magnets that attached them together made them pretty much useless in my figure federation. That alone relegated them to jobber status and I probably got more use out of the trash can that came with them.

Out of curiosity are the apter mags still going?! Kayfabe and all..

yes one is

My first mag was the Adam Bomb - May 1994 issue, which came with a free sticker book and two packs of stickers, (the black Undertaker one). We got Sky in December 1993 and for some reason never checked out WWF programming, so seeing THAT Adam Bomb front cover, he became one of my faves, until I saw he was managed by Harvey Wippleman.

The earliest one I remember was the one with Warriors face up close that my cousin had.

First VHS was WWFs Wrestling Grudge Matches which I bought with my birthday money in 1992 I believe.

First figure was bizarrely Greg Valentine and Ultimate Warrior. My birthday several months later saw me get the Ring and free bearhug Hogan, Macho King, Tornado and Nasty Boys. I bought LOD, Mr Perfect, Bushwhackers and Million Dollar Man with my birthday money.

It's just dawned on me, my sister bought me an Apter mag which must have predated my WWF one because it had an interview with Tito Santana in (pre El Matador), so about 1991 ish?

Archived