First mag, first video, first figure. GO!

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First mag would be PWI about 1990 from newsagents in Burton where is was studying.

First video was Lords of the ring. when it came out over here there was a video shop in meadowhall which had just opened and they had that and the Ringmasters one so got both.

Never bought a figure.

IMG04106.JPG

I remember seeing this in WHSmiths and thinking "Wow! A wrestling magazine, I never thought there were magazines for wrestling". Then I ended up collecting them for years, I must have over a decades worth of wrestling magazines but now the only one I collect properly is FSM.

nomercyuk1999.jpg

I remember getting this in Stockport the Sunday afternoon of No Mercy 1999 (the American one) which was a coincidence. I actually loved this video, might have been something to do with it being in my hometown too but yeah I thought it was a pretty fun event. Also I remember being freaked out by how Xpac's shoulder on the front cover looked so abnormally large when in proportion to the rest of the photo.

Rock_WM_XV.jpg

Before I bought this figure I actually got some of those sets of little wrestling figures with the mini rings and thought I'd never have to buy any of the big figures but then I caved, bought The Rock as he was my favourite and then an onslaught of collecting figures began. Only thing was his signature faded off his shirt.

4d623ca9c6e1b_74388n.jpg

hogan3pic.jpg

Actually after thinking more that Rock figure was the first wrestling figure I got after getting into wrestling, before that when I was very little I was in a toy shop in Ireland with my parents and was told I could have any toy I wanted and I actually chose a Hulk Hogan hasbro, it was the one with the arm that slams down, still actually have it too.

I've no idea what my first magazine was, the earliest one I remember reading was one where there was a feature on the Rockers split and the barbershop incident but theres no saying that was my first.

I remember the first videos I saw were Royal Rumble 1990 and one that was a compilation I think, only match I remember on it was a Superfly Jimmy Snuka opener that I'm sure was a cage match. First one I owned was this classic though:

Warrior%20VHS%202%20pic.jpg

My first figure is, in fact, what got me into wrestling. It was a Christmas present and I wasn't even aware wrestling existed, I always wondered what the weird figures everyone at school had. I felt so relieved to finally be in on it. I ended up loving wrestling more than anyone in my class, and went on to get almost all the Hasbro WWF and Galoob WCW figures. The man I owe it all to:

brutusbeefcake1.jpg

Within seconds of seeing a wrestling trading card of him, Warrior became my absolute favourite, so press-slamming Warrior was next, albeit the bastards at Argos tried to give me bearhugging Hogan instead. My mum was really embarassed because I demanded they change it, I didn't want him. This was made all the worse by the fact I asked for that Hogan figure the next week. Bruti was reduced to jobber status for a while, but once I built up a collection my nostalgia for him as my first wrestler led to him having a pretty decent career in my figure-fed.

On a slightly separate point in all of this, just was the point of those WWF figures with their legs stuck together? There was a Warrior, Brutus, Koko B. Ware, both Rockers, Superfly, one of the Headshrinkers. There was no connecting feature, so why did they end up with their legs stitched together?

Yeah, Bruti and Warrior were a fun loving white meat tag team in my fed. The 'High Hoppers' or something shit. The Warrior was my favourite as a kid but he was always a jobber in these parts cos of the shit figure (didn't like the press slam one either). In fact all the hasbros would generally lose out to the galoob superworkers, as well as various American Gladiators, He-Man baddies and Ninja Turtles.

I actually rated the press slam Warrior as one of the best. You could do his 2 signature moves well, and even his shaking the ropes. Absolutely every other Hasbro with that feature (except his mate Animal) had a high profile feud with him based entirely around the fact you could do a test of strength with them.

Purple Warrior on the other hand only got used for squash matches and entrances (I thought his arms madly swinging looked a bit like running...)

For anybody that ever turned Warrior heel, the purple one always made the best one for some reason. Evil glint in his eye maybe, I dunno. As soon as I got that figure, he joined the Corporation, and the white and green Warriors didn't return until he famously left Ted Dibiase following The Million Dollar Mans decision to go with Hogan as his title contender against Bret Hart. I don't think any of us will ever forget the pop from the invisible crowd when he returned from time off as a face to save Bret from Hogan and The Corporations beatdown.

Yeah, Bruti and Warrior were a fun loving white meat tag team in my fed. The 'High Hoppers' or something shit. The Warrior was my favourite as a kid but he was always a jobber in these parts cos of the shit figure (didn't like the press slam one either). In fact all the hasbros would generally lose out to the galoob superworkers, as well as various American Gladiators, He-Man baddies and Ninja Turtles.

This has reminded me of when I used other franchise figures as substitutes when my Hasbro collection was only around 8 or 9.

To be fair some of them weren't bad replacements, I mean you can't tell me the turtles' Bebop didn't make a good Brian Knobs ;)

14vs76a.jpg

• Paid Members

The jump action Hasbros may not have been the best looking (especially with the lumps on their backs), but they were among the best ones to play to actually play with. Brutus in particular was dexterous enough to be able to pull off loads of moves, plus he could call someone a wanker, and give them the V's. Bad. Ass.

Being a WWF fan in 1989 was the first time I saw it properly, remember the Hart Foundation wrestling in the opening match. Got my brother in Birmingham to get me this magazine as no shops here stocked anything before 1990.

wwf_dec_1989.jpg

First WWF video is a easy one. I remember getting the WWF sticker album and in the back you could order one of 3 videos being best of Hulkamania, Wrestlemania's greatest matches & Best of the WWF Superheroes.

So I chose this one

61s8i6m8OYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

First wrestling figure well I would love to say the Hasbros but I remember in a Norwich store they had two of the rubber LJN figures. One was Jumpin Jim Brunzell & the other Andre the Giant.

wwf_ljn_andre_giant_1.jpg

Not exactly as I remember as im sure the figure was bigger than this one as he had black trunks but best one I could find.

The jump action Hasbros may not have been the best looking (especially with the lumps on their backs), but they were among the best ones to play to actually play with. Brutus in particular was dexterous enough to be able to pull off loads of moves, plus he could call someone a wanker, and give them the V's. Bad. Ass.

Yeah, but how do you do a sharpshooter???

Archived