Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

To protect Jon, for reasons we are clearly not privy to at the moment. The theory is based around the fact that there is clearly something more to Jon's mother than just some random whore who had Ned's bastard. And with the keys players in the know are no longer around to tell the story, the reveal is probably going to come in slightly more dramatic fashion, which is rife for speculation.

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

Who claps after a trailer? Is it just an American thing or do audiences applaud films in this country as well? I've never seen it myself.

From my experience, people always clap at films in America. It's really weird.

• Paid Members

Americans will also clap at big moments during the film. I saw Return Of The King in New York and when that blonde bird kills the Witch King everyone started clapping and cheering.

The worst time though was actually in the UK when I saw the last Harry Potter film in Croydon and the ginger mum kills Helena Bonham Carter and there was this really awkward moment when a few people started clapping, there was a pause and then everyone else started clapping and then abruptly stopped a few seconds later looking embarrassed. I had no idea what was going on.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator

I've been to a few films where there's been applause at the end, but thankfully never experienced it (or cheering, whooping, booing etc) during a film. It is my understanding that it happens all the time in America, which sounds awful. Pretty sure a lot of the recent articles about the reception to American Sniper mention it. Is it not a thing in Australia as well?

Edit: I tell a lie, there was cheering during Die Hard when we saw it a few Christmasses ago, when McClane and Powell hug it out.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Moderators

American Sniper sounds like such an awful film from everything I've heard. One of my friends compared it to an American version of the propaganda film they are screening in Inglorious Basterds after he saw it, which make me laugh.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator

Americans cheering on Bradley Cooper shooting people in American Sniper sounds like the most stereotypical American thing ever. Do they boo in cinemas as well? I get dirty looks for heartily chuckling during comedy films.

I'm sure I've heard about them booing villains, but I can't think of where or what films specifically. Possibly Star Wars, but I may be confusing that with something else.

On the American Sniper front, Matt Taibbi wrote an interesting piece about it for Rolling Stone, link here: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/american-sniper-is-almost-too-dumb-to-criticize-20150121?page=2

The bit in spoilers refers to the cheering, a standing ovation no less, but it mentions what I assume is a major plot point hence the caution:

When hunky Bradley Cooper's Kyle character subsequently takes out Mustafa with Skywalkerian long-distance panache – "Aim small, hit small," he whispers, prior to executing an impossible mile-plus shot – even the audiences in the liberal-ass Jersey City theater where I watched the movie stood up and cheered. I can only imagine the response this scene scored in Soldier of Fortune country.