Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

I was sure I'd heard it mentioned in the TV show that Joffrey was 17 (I remember this specifically because I nearly fell off my seat when I found out the actor was 22). I looked it up, and the GoT wiki puts him at 19 now:

Tyrion states that Joffrey is 17 years old in Season 2, "The Prince of Winterfell"

I know they're younger in the book, but obviously they've aged them all by 3 or 4 years in the show so it's not too Harry Potter and we don't feel too guilty about perving on Dany.

No, they are too central to the show to be recast. Make up and costume can keep the girls looking young and the others are due to get older. The only one I think there will be an issue with is Bran who has shot up in height and looks a lot older in real life.

Edit: Magnum, I had a look at the wiki and edited my post with their ages according to that.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
The only one I think there will be an issue with is Bran who has shot up in height

That's ok, it's not as though he's going to be running around or anything, so they can get away with the height issue.

*It's been 2 years of story time between seasons 2 and 4? It doesn't seem so long, guess they'll be ok then.

I was wondering this earlier. How long was Jaime Lannister captured, or knocking about with the big girl? How long has Sansa been in King's Landing? I'd be interested in a timeline of the TV show events. Also why the Stark girls have different accents to the boys, although was that already explained somewhere?

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Isaac's voice is notably deeper now, I don't think we'd buy Bran as 10 if they'd followed the book ages. Although Rickon barely does anything so I might believe he was 6. If he hadn't been 6 for three years already.

EDIT - in terms of the time, in the pilot, Sansa tells Cersei she is 13. Last series, she told Tyrion on their wedding night that she was 14. In the books there was a clear two years between those two instances so let's assume she's 14 nearly 15 at that point. In simplest terms, 1 series = 1 year. There was an episode where I believe someone harkened back to a previous event as "one year ago" and it corresponded to the approximate point in the previous series, but I don't exactly recall it.

Edited by air_raid

I don't think much time, if any, has passed between the end of the last series and the first episode of the current one. Of course, the kids in reality are a year older so they look quite different.

Jamie said it had been weeks he had been back at KL

Also why the Stark girls have different accents to the boys, although was that already explained somewhere?

Although it's not something I can ever see them referring to specifically, I reckon it's something to do with the way girls have been schooled in the ways of 'being a lady' (likely including proper enunciation and the like) by their septa from an early age, whereas the lads education has focused more on swordplay and the like.

Doesn't explain Bran's accent, though. Maybe something as simple as whether they were closest to Ned or their mother?

Edited by Magnum

Also why the Stark girls have different accents to the boys, although was that already explained somewhere?

Although it's not something I can ever see them referring to specifically, I reckon it's something to do with the way girls have been schooled in the ways of 'being a lady' (likely including proper enunciation and the like) by their septa from an early age, whereas the lads education has focused more on swordplay and the like.

Doesn't explain Bran's accent, though. Maybe something as simple as whether they were closest to Ned or their mother?

I've read the schooling explanation before (maybe on here), is that from the books or is it just a way of trying to explain it, and really the accents are the way they are purely because of casting? There must be some thought put into the voices, because Liam Cunningham plays a Geordie for some reason.

The accents are all a bit weird all round in that show. Pretty much everyone from Westoros speaks in a British accent, but Jack Gleeson who plys Joffrey is really very Irish in his normal speaking voice. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau who plays Jaime Lannister is Danish and speaks with a Scandinavian accent. Whenever I see interviews with the actors I tend to get thrown off a little bit with the actors speaking in their normal accent.

• Paid Members
Whenever I see interviews with the actors I tend to get thrown off a little bit with the actors speaking in their normal accent.

Rose Leslie/Ygritte being the best for that, I'd say.

I've read the schooling explanation before (maybe on here), is that from the books or is it just a way of trying to explain it, and really the accents are the way they are purely because of casting? There must be some thought put into the voices, because Liam Cunningham plays a Geordie for some reason.

It's not something I've ever seen mentioned in the books, though there is more emphasis on that kind of 'finishing school' tutoring that Sansa and Arya have to go through. It's purely speculation on my part (beyond the possibly more likely explanation that they're willing to trust the older actors with accents more than the youngest ones).

Liam Cunningham's accent is specifically a Boro/Teeside one, btw, and a very good one at that. I'm not sure of the significance of that, other than to mark his background out as someone who came from a deprived area and doesn't really fit in with the other lords and knights (though his accent isn't one that seems to have come from King's Landing, where he supposedly grew up).

• Paid Members

Give up with the accents. Robert, Renly and Stannis sound nothing alike despite being brothers. If you try to explain that with Robert going off to Jon Arryn as a young man, how come neither Robert nor Ned Stark grew up sounding anything like a man of the Vale i.e. Ser Vardis, who Bronn killed in Tyrion's trial by combat? Just forget it. It will never make sense.

Great episode this week, once it got to the wedding. It's a strange show structurally, where you'll just have a scene with Rickon Stark almost at random and then you'll see Stannis for a couple of minutes. But man, what an ending. I knew it was coming because of that knob that posted spoilers last year in this thread, but it was so well executed. Joffrey was such a glorious, cruel prick that you wonder could a poisoning be sufficiently gruesome and painful. It was. Fair play to Jack Gleeson, he's played a solid contender for best TV baddie ever.

Edited by King Pitcos