DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I quite liked Rampage, I didn't expect much from it. The last half an hour is great and Jeffrey Dean Morgan is quality. I'm expecting more from Skyscraper though.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I quite liked Rampage, I didn't expect much from it. The last half an hour is great and Jeffrey Dean Morgan is quality. I'm expecting more from Skyscraper though.

This surprises me. The trailer looks bloody awful

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Everyone says that about The Rock's next film. And they're almost always wrong.

Hmmm, I suspect you hold his output in higher regard than I do.

• Paid Members

In fairness, Rampage is the first Rock film in a while I've really not liked too much. For all it's flaws, Baywatch has it's moments and Zac Efron. I think Hercules was the last one where I came out regretting wasting the time.

I thought the Skyscraper trailer looks alright. The Rock does Die Hard; sold!

• Paid Members

Plus, it's a trailer, do people really still judge what a film's going to be like from those? Rawson Thurber's a fun director, Central Intelligence was another everyone said would be shit and it absolutely wasn't. I'll be really surprised if this isn't a bunch of fun like most of The Rock's films.

• Paid Members

I don't think people judge what a film's going to be like purely from the trailer. I'm sure there's lots of examples of  good trailer/crap film & vice versa but the trailer's meant to make you want to part your cash. The Skyscraper trailer looks like a generic, mindless Die Hard clone which seemingly shows you the big finale (another bug bear). It might end up being great but I'll be amazed.  Looking at The Rock's filmography he's had a lot more stinkers than good.

• Paid Members

Nah, The Rock's record over the last 5 years or so especially has been largely great. He's probably the most bankable and reliable action star around now.

• Paid Members

I have to assume you didn't see San Andreas, Baywatch, GI Joe, Hercules or Snitch? All shite. Jumanji was good fun, I've not seen Moana but heard it's great & I liked Pain & Gain more than most. I've no interest in anything Fast or Furious related.

• Paid Members

Posted on here about it before, but Moana's really good. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and The Rock turns in a superb performance as Maui, both acting and singing.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

I have to assume you didn't see San Andreas, Baywatch, GI Joe, Hercules or Snitch?

I've only seen San Andreas and Snitch out of those, I didn't like the former but I did like the latter. Plus I did say "largely".

I decided to watch the film 9/11 that was released last year starring Charlie Sheen and Whoopi Goldberg. I may receive some backlash for this but I didn't actually hate this film. I thought it had some decent performances in it and was an easy watch considering the theme of the film.

Although was reminded after watching this film that Charlie Sheen has his own theories on how the Twin Towers went down...

Watched Anon earlier staring Clive Owen and Amanda Seyfried, and written/directed by Andrew Niccol (Gattaca, Simone, In Time, Lord of War).
I like Owen and Seyfried and the film has some interesting ideas and visuals, but on the whole it is not a particularly good film. It's a really basic and generic sci-fi thriller (without any thrills), that moves really slowly though its 90-minute runtime towards a lackluster ending. You feel that Niccol thought he was making a timely movie containing important messages, when in reality he made a really average sci-fi movie that would have been better as something like a Black Mirror episode.