DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Deepwater Horizon was fairly intense, and not at all what I expected.
I was anticipating a 5 or 6/10 flick, but got an 8! I had a fierce hangover with a dose of the fear so that probably added to, or heightened, a relentless feeling of my ‘pots being rinsed’ once it got going. It could well be a Tony Scott movie and I think Berg is certainly the man to take up that hyper stylised approach that Scott would batter you with.

I love Peter Berg...I’ve loved him since I saw this in the flicks twenty years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQ2DAYWqxg

I didn’t see Battleship, and I don’t want to. It can ask my Fray Bentos. 

Just watched The Purge Election Year. I enjoyed this installment more than the 2nd offering Anarchy.  Although you do get the feeling that there will be another 6 Purge movies released within the next 2 years until they've finally milked the franchise to death.

• Paid Members

I noticed they're showing Deepwater Horizon in the 4D screen at my local this week and I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Wasn't sure if that was the film I'd go for to check it out (or even bother at all) but Scott's just made it sound well worth the trip!

• Paid Members

Lads, yiz know I'm a relatively simple man, on many levels but do they actually do actual movies in 4D now??

What's that experience like? Colour me intrigued...

My brother runs 4d cinemas for Disney. They are just 3D screenings with little added touches. Dry ice, snow, water spraying. That sort of stuff.

• Paid Members

Amazing, Chokey.

I can only imagine the day when it's available on a home medium and you - and by 'you' I mean 'me' - fill the side of your telly with milk and Quakers Quick Oat, then when everyone's gone to bed, pop a film on and 13 minutes later Peter North, by way of the preparation, is hitting the family portrait, the floor mat and your forehead.

Amazing, Chokey.

I can only imagine the day when it's available on a home medium and you - and by 'you' I mean 'me' - fill the side of your telly with milk and Quakers Quick Oat, then when everyone's gone to bed, pop a film on and 13 minutes later Peter North, by way of the preparation, is hitting the family portrait, the floor mat and your forehead.

• Paid Members

I went to see Don't Breath last night. It's got some cracking tense moments in it and considering there's almost zero dialogue in the middle third it's really well paced. I won't do any spoilers but there's one scene which will probably become slightly infamous in it.

• Paid Members

It's really good, isn't it?

Yeah, have to agree Chokey, if that flick had caught on more than it did, I reckon that scene would be mimicked and parodied in shit comedies for a long time.

Girl on the Train : It really isn't very good at all. Emily Blunt - even with her ridiculously attractive top lip - is very, very annoying in it, and not in a good way. I found myself rolling my eyes a fair bit throughout.

Luke Evans is one of the worst actors I've ever seen. He's the Gary fucking Caldwell of Hollywood.

• Paid Members

Lads, yiz know I'm a relatively simple man, on many levels but do they actually do actual movies in 4D now??

What's that experience like? Colour me intrigued...

My brother runs 4d cinemas for Disney. They are just 3D screenings with little added touches. Dry ice, snow, water spraying. That sort of stuff.
Something like this?

• Paid Members

It's really good, isn't it?

Yeah, have to agree Chokey, if that flick had caught on more than it did, I reckon that scene would be mimicked and parodied in shit comedies for a long time.

Girl on the Train : It really isn't very good at all. Emily Blunt - even with her ridiculously attractive top lip - is very, very annoying in it, and not in a good way. I found myself rolling my eyes a fair bit throughout.

Luke Evans is one of the worst actors I've ever seen. He's the Gary fucking Caldwell of Hollywood.

Luke Evans is terrible, he has negative charisma. There was a horror film where he was the lead on Sky and he was just dire, really don't see the appeal in him.

Yep, Don't Breath was top notch, managed to have a grimy 70s feel to it and little flashes of Panic Room. Jane Levy was lovely in it as well.

That dog going all John McClane in the air vent was stupid though. Also why didn't they just go out of the bathroom window, it had a board on it held on with one nail!

Surf, the vid doesn't work but if its not the clip from Kentucky Fried movie I'll be disappointed

Edited by chokeout