DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Finally got around to watching Nightcrawler last night, I've had it sitting on my shelf since the day it came out on DVD.

I thought it was excellent, I love the noir setting and it's just a really great story overall. Fairly unrealistic I'd assume but it was a great movie to get lost in for two hours. Jake Gyllenhaal is increasingly becoming one of my favourite actors and he delivers here once again.

Yeah I caught Nightcrawler recently too, very enjoyable stuff.

Watched the original Mortal Kombat movie on US Netflix last night as it randomly popped on the line. Can't believe that film is 20 years old now. It's still utterly awful ofcourse, but movies adapted from video games always are

• Paid Members

Watched the original Mortal Kombat movie

I have a real soft spot for that film, did you know Cameron Diaz was cast as Sonya but had to pull out because she got injured?

Also I've posted this in another thread before but this short video about the making of Goro's animatronic suit is great. Advanced practical special effects from just before CGI took over.

I read when having a look through the trivia on IMDB. The film cost around $18m to make, which is absolute peanuts in today money. A mate of mine at school fucking hated it, think he had visions of it just being the game brought to life rather than a film based on it. I think the film came out over here after MK3 had come out and so Sub-Zero had been repackaged and he hated than in the movie Sub-Zero was in his old costume and he hated that Raiden had long white hair. Like I say, not really sure what he was expecting from it all.

ThAt Goro effects video is awesome. I get that CGI is a much quicker process for everything, but just look at the work that went into that animatronic

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Myself and my mate, during the winter of 1995 just watched Mortal Kombat, Friday, Surviving the Game, Strange Days and Street Fighter 2 – Animated Movie on repeat. The latter two of which had scenes that unearthed an ignorant amount of sperm from me, personally.

For a fifteen year old who was obsessed with the game itself, the flick was fucking world class.
I still have a real soft spot for Mortal Kombat, and its ludicrously lazy but somehow apt score by George Clinton. Easiest money Clinton ever made (or will make) was during the Johnny Cage / Goro fight where he’s just papping an open e on the bass for the whole thing.

But the movie was perfect for its time, and for its target audience, I found.  Sheepy’s mate note withstanding.

Plus, Christopher Lambert was a few shades of quality.

• Paid Members

Wait, you were wanking over the Street Fighter 2 animated movie? May I ask why, I've never seen it.

Mortla Kombat is a pretty shit film but it's definitely the best film based on a game ever and probably the best we're ever going to get. It actually pretty much captures the spirit of MK 1 and 2 perfectly, looks good, great score, some of the set design is fairly spectacular and it has a couple of good fight scenes to boot. It's also Paul WS Anderson's best film ever by a long shot. Not that that's paticularly hard considering what a talentless cunt he is.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I still have a real soft spot for Mortal Kombat, and its ludicrously lazy but somehow apt score by George Clinton. Easiest money Clinton ever made (or will make) was during the Johnny Cage / Goro fight where he’s just papping an open e on the bass for the whole thing.

You know it's not the same George Clinton right?

The Street fighter II anime was indeed great, I don't remember wanking to it though.

• Paid Members

Wait, you were wanking over the Street Fighter 2 animated movie? May I ask why, I've never seen it.

If you haven’t seen the Animated Movie, you should watch it Goosher. It’s a good 15’s rating full of violence, bad language and Chun Li naked in the shower. The soundtrack is tremendous and the plot doesn't patronise the fanboy/gamer in any way, which is nice at that age.

I freely admit I’m in the minority in that I’ve pulled the stomach out of myself to what’s essentially a drawing, but it was Chun Li after all, and you’re dealing with someone who used to pause SF2 on the Megadrive to partake in same when she did a spinning bird kick as a kid.

But on the flip side, it’s a magnificent movie. Truly, one of the best, most surprising animated movies that I have ever seen. It holds up well too, as I only watched it about a month ago. Although the shower scene was lost on me now which obviously means a saddening decrease in my testosterone.

It's also Paul WS Anderson's best film ever by a long shot.

Event Horizon. You take that back!!!!!

EDIT - I'd like to think myself as musically proficient and sound, but I believed for the past twenty fucking years that it was Parliaments George Clinton that did the score. Fuck me, Bellers, something new every day!

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Watched Boyhood finally. Just staggering, absolutely stunning. I actually think it may be my favourite film of the last 5 years at least.

It's inspired me to start writing about films again.

What did we all think of it?

• Paid Members

I just watched John Favreau's Chef.

It was shocking, I'm genuinely surprised that it seems to be so acclaimed, it was dreadful- nothing more than a fat bastard's fantasies. I could tolerate the first bit but as soon as he went on his big adventure it started to get way too sickly, the sentimentality was so cloying and the last act was ridiculous for loads of reasons, it felt like a parody it was so stupid.

• Paid Members

Watched Boyhood finally. Just staggering, absolutely stunning. I actually think it may be my favourite film of the last 5 years at least.

Amazing concept, expertly filmed, needed more plot. Well acted

• Awards Moderator

I absolutely loved it, far and away my favourite film of last year. I think the lack of conventional plot was a big benefit - not to sound pretentious but life was its plot and that worked perfectly - it just washes over you and then you realise three hours have passed. I wrote a fair bit on it last year here singing its praises, but yeah, I love that film.