DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I watched Calvaire, part of Film4's FrightFest. In it, a low-level singer's van breaks down near a rundown, barely populated village.

It's uninspired and not worth the time. Even with the nature of what transpires, it's surprisingly forgettable.

Edited by Vice

• Paid Members

I love Calvaire. It reminds me of those nightmares where you just can't get out of a situation. The dance scene is creepy and funny at the same time.

• Paid Members

I watched Calvaire, part of Film4's FrightFest. In it, a low-level singer's van breaks down near a rundown, barely populated village.

It's uninspired and not worth the time. Even with the nature of what transpires, it's surprisingly forgettable.

Yeah, it bored the crap out of me as well. Loved the ending though.

• Paid Members

I think you watch Aliens even more than I do, Branquey!

I'll throw my hat into this too. Next to Star Wars, it's probably the film I've watched more times than any other. Even Airplane.

I was quite lucky in that I had a friend who's Mum was a bit more liberal with film certificates than mine, so I was probably only about 12 when I first saw it. Pulse rifles made of Lego, the lot.

Watched Willow Creek. It's a Bigfoot version of The Blair Witch Project, but nowhere near as good. The film's pretty weak as a narrative, the build/suspense is uncompelling, and the ending is a letdown. The two leads are decent, but it all just feels a bit half-cooked. The one scene where they're reacting to noises outside the tent has got a bit of attention and is fairly effective, but as long  takes in low-budget horror go, it's nothing compared to the one in The Battery.

• Paid Members

It should be law that people watch the original cut of Aliens before the extended edition. It's a completely different movie without the extra footage. I do love the extra stuff, but if eel if you watch that first, a lot of the mystery goes.

• Paid Members

I had a good 4 years of the theatrical cut before the Director's Cut was released (it was the first 18 rated video I bought, tedious trivia fans. I had to take a change of clothes in my schoolbag). I'd read the novel, so I knew some more of the back story and the bit with the robot sentries.

It was such a great feeling to go from "if only those bits were in the film", to "those bits are now in the film!"

• Paid Members

I watch Aliens at least once a year D-Mal. Have done since 1992 when me ma and da got me Alien and Aliens on VHS and the Terminator 2 tin box set which was savage and I sold for 3quid a few years later to buy smokes. Sad face.

It’s just a phenomenal fucking movie. My da rented it on video when it was first out and the two of us watched it. I was absolutely fascinated by it. Must have been 1987 and I was 7 and I went into school the next morning talking to everyone about Vasquez being Rambo woman.

Probably the only movie I’d get really cunty and defensive – childlike, even - if somebody was to slate it.

• Paid Members

I watch Aliens at least once a year D-Mal. Have done since 1992 when me ma and da got me Alien and Aliens on VHS and the Terminator 2 tin box set which was savage and I sold for 3quid a few years later to buy smokes. Sad face.

It’s just a phenomenal fucking movie. My da rented it on video when it was first out and the two of us watched it. I was absolutely fascinated by it. Must have been 1987 and I was 7 and I went into school the next morning talking to everyone about Vasquez being Rambo woman.

Probably the only movie I’d get really cunty and defensive – childlike, even - if somebody was to slate it.

I first watched it when I was 9. I only really rediscovered it when I was 14 though and I found it on some old tapes I was sorting through. It was then I wore the tape out rewatching it.

I haven't watched the original cut for years though. I always watch the extended cut. I just think it's better because it's more Aliens and that's it, really.