DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Missed Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so picked it up on 3D BR. Really enjoyable stuff. With this and GOTG Marvel have been on a roll after the luckluster Thor 2. Nice and tense, cracking action set pieces and Jim Robinson himself, Alan Dale!

• Paid Members

Snowpiercer. 2 hours of my life that I will never get back. I can put up with ridiculous premises, but when not a single thing in the whole film makes any sense at all, it just seems like a pretentious waste of time.

• Paid Members

Snowpiercer's one of the best films I've seen this year. In fact, I think it's only second to Under The Skin. Enjoyed every minute of it, especially Tilda Swinton's Margaret Thatcher / Su Pollard crossover impression.

Going to do a double header at cinema tomorrow. Guardians Of The Galaxy followed by the new Sin City.

I've never read any of GOTG comics, so hopefully it'll be accessible enough, whereas I'm a huge Sin City fan. It's had a shocker of an opening in the US, only taking $6.4m by yesterday, which is 78% less than the first film 9 years ago, made all the worse when ticket inflation & 3D ticket prices factored in

• Paid Members

Not going to give Mulholland Drive a bash then, eh thunder?

Loved Mulholland Drive, all the clues are there for you to work the puzzle out. Snowpiercer just didn't work for me. Tilde Swinton was excellent, but not enough to save it for me.

• Paid Members

Well that's as clear as mud.

Watched Eyes Wide Shut on Saturday. Amazing film. Aside from Fear & Desire, all of Kubrick's films were very good to all-time greats. What an amazing career he had.

• Paid Members

I think he was comparing 2 films full of subtexts, which I can understand.

Just finished Sharknado 2, the second one. Just trash, but loads of fun. Cameos a plenty.

Mulholland Drive is one of the most accessible David Lynch films. I can understand people not getting in to Lost Highway or Inland Empire but Mulholland Drive doesn't belong in that group of Lynch headfucks. That's not to say it's not a bit mental but I wouldn't call it a pretentious waste of time.

• Awards Moderator

I've never read any of GOTG comics, so hopefully it'll be accessible enough

Hardly anyone has read them. They're pretty obscure yet I've heard nothing but raving about it.