DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Oldboy remake wasn't either good nor bad, it's purely "OK" which for me is the worst thing it ever could have been. I would so much rather have it be a total car crash or the other extreme and end up being something really special instead of something I just say meh to at the end.

The Lego Movie, is pretty good isnt it? 1 was expecting something like the cut scenes from the Lego Games, but got something much more magical. Plenty of subversive humour and nods to other films all over the shop to boot. A decent story,

Everything is awesome until you have a 3 year old who has now seen it around 20 times in a week. Then it's not so awesome. However there are so many layers, plenty still to pick up

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Was about my 6th viewing yesterday. and the horse and cart thing from a chase from Bad Cop is a nod to BTTF III isnt it?

• Paid Members

Right bought The Birds, Clockwork Orange, Unforgiven, Patton, Hamburger Hill and Chinatown on DVD today on the cheap. Which ones to watch first. Seen a few before but nee bothered. Any suggestions for my night in while I cope with sinusitis.

• Paid Members

Right, going for Chinatown. Last night's choice of film was 'The Deer Hunter', which was bloody splendid viewing (thoroughly depressing seeing a really ill John Cazale) but blindingly good. Still yet to see Spartacus (I know, I know) which is sitting on top on my unwatched pile. It looks like it lasts for days though so it's all about putting the time aside to be arsed with it.

• Paid Members
What other 80s 'Nam films should I be checking out? Cheers!

Scavolini's Dog Tags

Interesting note (I think): For some reason, Nightmares in a Damaged Brain tended to get marketed with "Scavolini's/Romano Scavolini's" above the title. My theory is that the distributors, who were mental and toted around a brain in a jar for a publicity campaign, thought that the Italian name sounded distinguished, and might make people think he wasn't just some nobody, and instead another top Italian horror director.

• Paid Members

Bat*21 is great, you don't see it mentioned much.

Go Tell The Spartans is a good one that's largely forgotten. That's from 1978 though.

• Paid Members

I watched Full Metal Jacket yesterday before Deer Hunter. Was talking to chokeout about how I hadn't seen it for absolutely years. All I remembered was the first half on 'the island'. The 2nd half of that film is just as good as the first I think, if for different reasons. Platoon is like Spartacus, waiting to be watched.