DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Enter the Dragon on Blu-ray turned up from Amazon today, so that's my day sorted.

It's only on for an hour and a half.

EDIT:- I wrote a load of stuff about Xmas and realised I should have probably put it in the Xmas thread, which I have now done.

There's a few hours of extras on it though and being me I'll watch the majority of it.

• Paid Members

I rewatched Enter The Dragon recently and it really is a fine film, isn't it? It's not just some martial arts film, it's a really good film by any standards. I remembered almost all of it from my million viewings as a kid as well.

• Paid Members

The sight of Bolo effortlessly breaking backs sticks with me to this very day.

Unfortunately, by the time i saw my first Bruce Lee movie (Big Boss), i'd already seen four of five contemporary Jackie Chan films and so, despite his obvious innovation, it felt really dated. Then i saw Enter the Dragon. Despite all that followed, few films have ever done the tournament format more justice in terms of one man's journey through a series of increasingly tough, yet unique challenges.

It's hard to watch knowing what it could have led to and the incredible films which could have followed.

I'm really out of touch with the modern martial arts movie scene. I've seen some of Donnie Yen's more recent stuff, is there anyone out there making good kung fu movies these days?

Jeff Who Lives at Home must be about two or three years old, isn't it?

Aye, it's not on the list I just confusingly made it seem so.

I didn't realise that it was that mucky sod Howard in Cloud Atlas. I'd probably have had more enjoyment if the film was just Jim Broadbent getting up to shenanigans in a nursing home with Irish Tom Hanks somehow making an appearance.

• Paid Members

American Hustle : Really isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe I went in with my hopes and expectations far too high, but it didn't deliver what I'd hoped it would have. I was never a fan of Jennifer Lawrence - at all - but she is magnificent in this, and has shrugged off the Zelwegger stigma she had with me after this. Cooper didn't really do much given the scope and potential of his character and seemed a bit miscast, but Bale was absolutely tremendous. At points, he bordered on overacting, but he's always been that way. I think it's his mouth and the way he pronounces the word 'cage'.

Saving Mr.Banks : Probably the worst movie I have had to sit through, since Open Water.

• Paid Members
Watched Milk today on Netflix. Thought it was tremendous, Sean Penn steals the show throughout.

Not to be pedantic, well actually I am but he plays the title character, how can he steal the show? It is superb though so agree on that one

I obviously meant in the sense that he out-acts everyone else in the film.

Yeah, I went to see Anchorman 2 yesterday and it really didn't impress me. I sort of knew from the fact that they were doing one in the first place, plus the trailers, that it wasn't going to be that great, but it was actually worse than I'd thought. A sequel for the sake of a sequel with cameos for the sake of cameos... everything just felt like the creators were going "AND LOOK! We did this that you'll like too! Isn't it funny?!? ISN'T IT?!? LOOK AT ME!" for an hour and forty.

• Paid Members
Yeah, I went to see Anchorman 2 yesterday and it really didn't impress me. I sort of knew from the fact that they were doing one in the first place, plus the trailers, that it wasn't going to be that great, but it was actually worse than I'd thought. A sequel for the sake of a sequel with cameos for the sake of cameos... everything just felt like the creators were going "AND LOOK! We did this that you'll like too! Isn't it funny?!? ISN'T IT?!? LOOK AT ME!" for an hour and forty.

It kind of just made me pine for another Christopher Guest mockumentary, where the improv and dialogue are actually funny and clever, plus there was far, FAR, too much Steve Carrell/Brick.

Kids and people who like Mrs. Browns Boys would be the kind of people I reckon to find Anchorman 2 hilarious.