DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Okay Lokester, my thoughts on the Bank Job is - besides how short Statham actually is - that I found it to be a well paced crime thriller. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was much better than I anticipated and I even found the usually bland and wooden, Colin Salmon to be good in this.

I know it mixed fact and fiction which got a bit confusing for me at points because I wasn't sure if the Princess Margaret scandal was legit or just added for dramatic purposes, yet the whole Gale Benson sub story was pretty much bang on, and I wasn't too arsed about the obviously tacked on ending, but on the whole, a very enjoyable romp, as they say.

I was wall falling with the tiredness when I popped this on last night and it woke me right up and piqued my interest enough to warrant following it with probably one of the best crime/'gangster' flicks I've ever seen in The Long Good Friday.

Hoskins was phenomenal in it. I never once though Hoskins could be intimidating but he won me over in this (Slaughterhouse scene), and he rustled some sympathy out of me too (ending), which was a nice touch. I love a movie where I get sucked into the whole world going on around it and the scene where Hoskins is framed between the Tower Bridge - I'm assuming was an iconic shot, and if not, it fucking should be - is a great touch by the filmmaker, given the time period.

It's weird now, as an Oirishman, seeing just how horrible the IRA were and how I found myself rooting for Harold Shand at points. A fucking great movie, and one I'm going to watch again when I'm in my full senses and not trying to feed a wee lass in the midst of it all.

I didn't expect it to be as tense as it was, either.

And I would sniff the pipe clean out of Helen Mirren after she'd had a Christmas Dinner full of sprouts.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

That last shot is the bit that I always remember. The director apparently drove Hoskins round in the car and just gave him a stream of consciousness of what his character was thinking, and Hoskins did the facial reactions, then they just mute that out and put music over it and wham - incredible closing scene.

longgoodfriday460.jpg

I am really going to miss Hoskins as an actor, he had a lot to offer even in his dotage, and it's tragic to think we won't get any more of him. Considering how good guys like Caine have been in their 70s, it's tragic.

Yeah, it's a fantastic end shot, made all the better by the fact he never even filmed it with Brosnan as there was no room in the cab. They needed the camera where Brosnan was crouched.EDIT. And the music is well skill.

Edited by Keith Houchen

I've sampled the shit out of that film. Cool 70s analog synths.

You on Soundcloud, bosshog?
iTunes, motherfucker. Check my sig.

• Paid Members

Caught on some Tarantino recently:-* Kill Bill 1 - great fun for the most part. Lucy Liu is a terrible, terrible actress, though.* Kill Bill 2 - bored the crap out of me except the bits with Michael Madsen who was actually not shit for once.* Inglorious Basterds - bloody fantastic entertainment except for Eli Roth who is fucking crap and a knob. Melanie Laurent and Christoph Waltz are ace. Loved this film.

Caught on some Tarantino recently:-* Kill Bill 1 - great fun for the most part. Lucy Liu is a terrible, terrible actress, though.* Kill Bill 2 - bored the crap out of me except the bits with Michael Madsen who was actually not shit for once.* Inglorious Basterds - bloody fantastic entertainment except for Eli Roth who is fucking crap and a knob. Melanie Laurent and Christoph Waltz are ace. Loved this film.

Everything about this post is the truth except Lucy Lui being shit, i thought she fit the role perfectly. My biggest problems with Inglorious Basterds is the Basterds themselves.

• Paid Members

Everything about this post is the truth except Lucy Lui being shit, i thought she fit the role perfectly. My biggest problems with Inglorious Basterds is the Basterds themselves.
The only of them that was shit was Roth. He could be the worst person of all time, though.Lucy Liu has only ever been good in Payback. Her delivery of those lines to the Yakuza was terrible. Tarantino should have got Michelle Yeoh.Otherwise I really liked part one. I didn't expect to. Some bits were shit but Uma Thurman's a brilliant actress. She really elevates it all. Part two is a load of boring shit apart from the fight in the caravan, the burial scene and Michael Madsen's argument with the club owner. The end confrontation between Thurman and David Carradine didn't catch fire at all even though Carradine is actually really good. Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Otherwise I really liked part one. I didn't expect to. Some bits were shit but Uma Thurman's a brilliant actress. She really elevates it all. Part two is a load of boring shit apart from the fight in the caravan, the burial scene and Michael Madsen's argument with the club owner. The end confrontation between Thurman and David Carradine didn't catch fire at all even though Carradine is actually really good.

I found the Superman speech to be cringeworthy. Absolutely awful. Hannah was pretty bad, even though she was probably told to overact, it just came off weird.Agree wholeheartedly about Eli Roth. Cannot stand him, and my opinion was cemented even further when he showed just how much of a humourless, self righteous prick he is when Tubes from Soccer AM interviewed him.

• Paid Members

Otherwise I really liked part one. I didn't expect to. Some bits were shit but Uma Thurman's a brilliant actress. She really elevates it all. Part two is a load of boring shit apart from the fight in the caravan, the burial scene and Michael Madsen's argument with the club owner. The end confrontation between Thurman and David Carradine didn't catch fire at all even though Carradine is actually really good.

I found the Superman speech to be cringeworthy. Absolutely awful.
One of the worst things I've seen in any film for ages. Absolutely awful. Quentin let himself down with that bit.

Anyone watched those V/H/S films? I've read a couple of reviews of the second one and they've made me quite keen to see it, but I've got no interest in the first and I'm wondering if there's any important overarching mythology or if I can just watch the new one.