C (or D) Show Appreciation

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
Not sure if it can be classed as a C show in the proper sense of the word, but WWF Mania was always my 'can't miss' show of the week.

How on earth did you guys manage to catch WCW Pro? Tape trading? I don't recall that even being on DSF back in the day.

It used to air around 1991 - early 1992 up to march really early in the morning about 1.50am on a late sat/sun morning. DSF did air it as Ive a load on tape from 1993 up to end of 1996 it mainly aired on a wednesday night though.

Thanks. I thought ITV only showed Worldwide, which I never missed.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to love Heat, Trish Stratus first appeared on there if I'm remembering correctly, started to put Test and Albert together by scouting them. Also the APA having their card games and so on was great and Stevie Richards as the self proclaimed GM of Stevie Night Heat was just amazing. I'm sure Raven was soley on Heat at one point too, it was either him or Dreamer as they'd lost a loser leaves Raw match and instead of signing for Smackdown they just wrestled on Heat, I'm sure it was Raven as I always loved his character and remember watching Heat and thinking I can't miss it as Raven's only on there.

Also Velocity had those immense Paul London vs Akio matches, I think there were three of them in total.

Metal was pretty cool for the different jobbers, I remember AJ Styles on there and also some guy who used a magic carpet I think, may be getting a bit confused there though.

Oh yeah Worldwide was great with the Batman style editing, Friday's were so good, I couldn't get the signal for Channel Five in my room and everyone else would be downstairs watching Coronation Street so my brother and me would watch Worldwide and Battledome in my Mum and Dad's room. Then we'd tape Raw (old school tape on a VHS recorder and ask whoever turned the TV off before going to bed to put it on the right channel for Raw) and then watch it on a Saturday morning. There were a few times when I was very pissed off that someone either turned Sky off or they'd not set the tape properly. Great memories though and Battledome was actually a fun little show too, I've tried unsuccessfully to find old episodes of it on YouTube.

• Awards Moderator
Maybe, I'm sure there was a jobber did it once or twice on one of the C shows before Daivari was even part of the main roster though.

I remember this too, and Wikipedia tells me Daivari was used as Local Talent as far back as 2003, so it might well have still been him - the magic carpet thing definitely pre-dated his time on the main WWE roster.

Daivari definitely used a magic carpet in his match against Tommy Dreamer on an episode of Heat, before he signed a contract. Think he ended up getting DDT'd on the carpet for the finish, but I might be mis-remembering that.

I loved Heat too. 2001 had some fun Alliance stuff with guys who just didn't get on the main two shows, although the matches tended to be way shorter than B-show matches these days - if a match went seven minutes it would be pretty noteworthy. The Stevie Night Heat era was great, and I dug 2003 as a whole - Maven vs Triple H was pretty great and went a long time, and there were some really fun tags involving 3 Minute Warning against guys like Tommy Dreamer, Spike, Maven et al, 2002 looks like it was a lot of fun too, but I didn't see a lot of that as it wasn't on TV over here and I hadn't figured out torrents at that point.

Seeing an earlier post, I actually remember the show mentioned there as the moment I saw Christian do that springboard to the outside, and thinking this was so much better than WCW. Don't know why because I had seen all the cruiserweights up to that point, but that really sticks out.

I remember that! I also remember it was in the run up to the Royal Rumble, and somebody (Kevin Kelly?) saying "Christian will HAVE to eliminate that move from his arsenal when he competes in the Royal Rumble...."

I've always loved C and D shows. In fact I still prefer them to the main shows in some respects, always easier to watch. NXT is my favourite WWE show ATM. I used to love metal around then end of 98 onwards, we didn't get cable until September 1998 and by that point I'd gone off wrestling for a few years and knew nothing of the Montreal screw job or Mike Tyson at Wrestlemania. However as we didn't have the sky sports channels included I had to resort to metal and the likes for my WWE fix on a Saturday, recapping the weeks Raw alongside matches between a pre APA Bradshaw, Steve Blackman, DOA, The Job Squad and Tiger Ali Singh. Absolutley loved it and it's when I fell in love with wrestling again. I remember a young Hardy's having a Metal feud with Too Much. Bradshaw having a bit of a winning streak until Steve Blackman messed all that up! And a random 4 way tag featuring the Acolytes, DOA, LOD and Job squad. Thankfully parents got the sports channels by Survivor Series 98 and the rest is history. So thanks C shows, if it wasn't for you I probably wouldn't be watching!

• Paid Members

The Battledome boys (or the "Battledome queers" as Buff Bagwell called them) had interaction on both the Battledome show and WCW programming. WCW had a connection with Battledome via Midajahs husand who was one of them. It was a cross promotion type thing. Actor Terry Crews was one of them called T-Money.

What I remember about it was the WCW fans really got into it. Bagwell, DDP, The Cat and Rick Steiner came out and got in their faces and it was pretty cool. This was when very little was getting over in WCW, so this was a refreshing change. I (probably the only one, mind) associate the Battledome angle as the period when WCW started getting better. Russo fucked off, Johnny Ace gained more power, DDP returned. Things were on the up. I think it was also the "Nitro with blue ropes" era, which was quite shit.

Midajah's husband Mike O'Hearn liked it so much he still has a page dedicated to it on his website 13 years later.

http://www.mikeohearn.com/videos/battledom...e-stars-vs-wcw/

Looking about, Mike O'Hearn is/was actually a personal trainer for Steve Austin, Scott Steiner and a load of others over the years. Wrestling is a small world.

Not sure if it can be classed as a C show in the proper sense of the word, but WWF Mania was always my 'can't miss' show of the week.

How on earth did you guys manage to catch WCW Pro? Tape trading? I don't recall that even being on DSF back in the day.

It used to air around 1991 - early 1992 up to march really early in the morning about 1.50am on a late sat/sun morning. DSF did air it as Ive a load on tape from 1993 up to end of 1996 it mainly aired on a wednesday night though.

Thanks. I thought ITV only showed Worldwide, which I never missed.

Its sorta yes and no. WCW Pro aired around 1.50am up until the end of march, then the following week I noticed it had been moved to a Saturday afternoon about 2pm I think. So I tuned in thinking it would be Pro and Jim Ross was on his own as he brought out Jesse Ventura and that was the ITV debut of Worldwide.

In a way I've always preferred the B/C shows. Even now I never miss an episode of Superstars.

Back in the late 90s when for some reason Superstars and Shotgun would show the same matches with different commentary I'd still watch both - just in case there was an extra match on one. Even when I go to see WWE live I usually get more excited about seeing the undercard guys, don't know why. I miss seeing Heat and Velocity live.

I watched an episode of Heat from 2004 earlier today - Maven vs. Chuck Palumbo, William Regal vs. Stevie Richards and The Hurricane & Rosey vs. Jobbers.

Archived