Why drop it casually over twitter when they had the perfect opportunity when Aries took advantage of the rule? Hogan could have thrown it out at the time in anger saying it was too easy for people to take advantage of. Nobody would have moaned at that

Suppose I shouldnt complain too much really as it is a good call I am pleased with

• Paid Members
THE LATEST INSANE TNA MOVE

By Mike Johnson on 2013-08-22 10:08:06

Over the last few weeks, there's been a lot of talk circulating around AJ Styles, who's been with TNA since day one and is one of the most celebrated talents over the course of their 11 year run. Initially we did not report the rumor but as more and more people within the company are talking about it, it's become a story we have to address.

The story making the rounds is that Styles' contract is up in September (which is just a few weeks away) and that the two sides have yet to come to a new contract. There's also allegedly been very little attempt by TNA to get a new deal done.

Obviously, this would not be the first time TNA has let a valued talent's deal expire (Samoa Joe, Devon, Bobby Roode both come to mind) before attempting to lock them up again.

However, what is insane about all this is that Styles has been the TNA poster boy since the company launched in June 2002. He was the nucleus of the original X-Division and grew into one of their best, most loyal performers, including taking part in the Styles vs. Joe vs. Chris Daniels bout that is considered the best TNA match of all time. Styles is one of a select few branded as a "TNA guy" similar to how Sting was seen as a "WCW guy" a generation ago.

The idea that TNA hasn't locked him in with about a month to go in his current deal is strange on a lot of levels - Styles' WWE counterparts would have been signed well before they were close to a deal expiring. The idea that they could put themselves into a situation where WWE could come in and swoop him up sounds ridiculous on paper, but all signs are that's the position TNA is putting themselves in.

Even odder is that TNA is in the midst of a big storyline with Styles, which will culminate on tonight's episode of Impact Wrestling.

This is the interesting test for TNA, because unlike the Hogans and the Stings, AJ Styles is someone TNA pays for in house. This is going to be an interesting one, because he has no leverage with WWE, so he's sort of in a "take it or leave it" situation. AJ in New Japan would be fucking awesome, though.

I still reckon this will get sorted eventually, but what a lack of respect on there part, eh? After all the service he's gave them.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Not that I want to sound like one of those "TNA will be dead in 6 months" types, but I sincerely hope they are. Completely selfish on my part, but the TV show has been appalling for years now with only brief moments where it's not. Plus I reckon a lot of the TNA talent would get a good look at from WWE and the others would do just as well on the indies or in Japan.

It's shocking how they treat people though, whether it's wrestlers or employees or even fans. They're so amateur. My main reason for wanting them to go under though is to finally get So Cal Val in the unemployment line. Of anyone in any top promotion in the last decade or so, she has the least reason for having a job anywhere. She does nothing! She does less than JTG or Yoshi Tatsu.

I actually think Styles could find his way into the WWE if he was so-minded. He's got six years on RVD, anyhow, and if they fast tracked him through the farm, then they'd have a more than capable mid-card, enhancement talent on their hands who, with little effort on their behalf, would be super over in certain towns (like New York or Chicago).

He could take Christians spot for a few years.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I still reckon this will get sorted eventually, but what a lack of respect on there part, eh? After all the service he's gave them.

I reckon he should give WWE a go if they came knocking... granted, I dont see him going far, but he could be good on the undercard. Give him a decent US or Intercontinental title run, to rehabiliate the titles, and maybe a non title WHC win before coming up just short to a cocky heel champ when it matters.

• Paid Members
Not that I want to sound like one of those "TNA will be dead in 6 months" types, but I sincerely hope they are. Completely selfish on my part, but the TV show has been appalling for years now with only brief moments where it's not. Plus I reckon a lot of the TNA talent would get a good look at from WWE and the others would do just as well on the indies or in Japan.

On what basis do you state that the TV show's been appalling? For my part it's an entertaining two hour show for most weeks at least, and has been for quite some time. Raw's been pretty rotten for substantial time periods, do we all want the good ship WWE to go under as well?

The WWF was hardly a utopia when it was the only national company running the USA.

• Paid Members

I think there's no chance they'd take AJ Styles. There's just to many things going against him. The fact he's been in TNA for 11 years is a big one. He's pretty much Mr. TNA. That's all well and good if you are a Sting. But AJ Styles isn't a star. He had the potential to be one, but they destroyed him years ago. He also sounds like Jamie Noble's thicker brother. He's called "AJ", so he isn't coming in with a previous identity (and to be honest, he'll probably get "AJ Styles" chants when they venture into smart arse territory). They just set up a farm system, so fast tracking someone through to the main roster (aged 36) wouldn't be sending out the right message. Bobby Roode I can see. James Storm I could possibly see. Magnus for sure. Not AJ Styles, though. He should have joined them in 2004 when there was a developmental contract on the table for him.

Also, AJ Styles isn't known as someone who has much of a clue. He isn't a CM Punk or a Daniel Bryan or even a Samoa Joe. You plug him in and he'll believe whatever shite you are selling. He probably still thinks TNA is on par with WWE, like he said a while ago. He's drank so much koolaid, its probably dripping out of his ears.

On what basis do you state that the TV show's been appalling? For my part it's an entertaining two hour show for most weeks at least, and has been for quite some time. Raw's been pretty rotten for substantial time periods, do we all want the good ship WWE to go under as well?

The WWF was hardly a utopia when it was the only national company running the USA.

To clarify, over the past 12 months you'd consider TNA's weekly output to be about on a par with WWE's?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Nothing ever happens to be fair. When something happens, nothing happens. Standards are so low on TNA, there isn't any major storylines going on. Its hard to watch something when you are waiting for it to either get stopped or a spanner to get thrown in the works or the angle to get cancelled. Like last week when we were promised a Texas Tornado war between the two factions and Mother Goose turns up and says Kurt Angle's in rehab so we best wait another week. They've just spent a year building up Hulk Hogan vs Bully Ray and that's not happening now. Cheers lads. Brooke Hogan has just been sacked and she took up so much TV time, so thats off as well. Its just a mess of a show, filled with wrestlers desperately trying their hardest for it not to be shite.

This might not be the most popular opinion but I think Styles leaving could end up being good for him and good for the show. If the 'E take him. I've said it before but Styles is pretty spent in TNA. He, more than anyone, is one of those people I see in a match when I tune in and think "god, not this again," even though I barely ever watch the bloody show. There just doesn't feel like there's much left to do with him. If he went to the 'E or NJPW or wherever at least he'd have some fresh scenarios.

Although I imagine Styles being a bit difficult to work with. I can see him having certain expectations of how the 'E should treat him, and while Punk seems to have the same and get's treated really well there I don't think AJ has anywhere near the same upside that Punk had. If he's lucky and they bite, and he goes in with the right attitude, then he might luck his way into a midcard spot doing the job for guys. IF he goes in with ideas above his station I don't think he's goign to get anything out of it.

He probably still thinks TNA is on par with WWE, like he said a while ago.

Wrestlers speak in two languages, kayfabe and hyperbole. He's not going to turn round and say "Actually, we're a bit shite, but keep watching. We've got Hulk Hogan. And Eric Young has a silly beard."

• Paid Members
He probably still thinks TNA is on par with WWE, like he said a while ago.

Wrestlers speak in two languages, kayfabe and hyperbole. He's not going to turn round and say "Actually, we're a bit shite, but keep watching. We've got Hulk Hogan. And Eric Young has a silly beard."

It wasn't hype at all. Hype would be promotion. Coming out and saying "I'm glad I dont work there, everyone is miserable, their shows suck" and all that gummings isn't promoting TNA at all. There's a difference between hyping the promotion you work for and slagging off the bigger company because you stupidly reckon TNA will be around forever.

I think its a shame that AJ hasn't had the opportunity to have decent feud with Jeff Hardy as that had to be considered a dream match at one time. I'd like a Styles-Aries program too which I think TNA have been daft to hold back. Other than them things I can't see a lot for Styles in TNA now to be honest, not much that'd cause

much excitement anyway as he has done everything multiple times.

It would be a shame for TNA to fuck him off though and I can't see it happening as according to Magnus' FSM column, hasn't Samoa Joe been offered a new deal? Joe and AJ have to be of the same worth to TNA really and I can't see Joe being the more favourable of the two amongst management.