Eating Out

Loki

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

When I was in England over Xmas I had a lovely dinner at Magdalen Restaurant by London Bridge. Had an excellent main course of confit duck, one of the best I've had. Interesting mix of traditional English meets French cooking there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Felicitations!

I desperately need to book a table in town for me and the missus tomorrow night chaps and I’m far too busy today to spend ages researching somewhere online. I would basically welcome any suggestions. Main condition is it needs to be within close proximity to the Central Line, ideally central/eastwards. Nothing too avante garde, although I don’t mind spending a few quid on my special lady. If you can throw in a cool bar nearby for pre/post-meal drinks, I’d probably send you a video of my awkward lovemaking later in the evening.

Thanks in advance.

Bifkin

The steak place I reviewed that's mentioned in the first post is near Oxford Circus station.

Cigalon near Chancery Lane is also good. A little pricey, but good quality French food, with a nice and classic atmosphere.

The Giaconda Dining Room is very near Tottenham Court Road, has a great rep, has been around for years and has a lot of music industry celebs like David Bowie as its regulars, if star-spotting's your thing. The food is excellent.

The Drunken Monkey is a good dim sum place, about five minutes walk from Liverpool St.

If you want Italian, Caravaggio in Bank is pricey, but pretty good.

Those are the first that spring to mind, anyway. If you want some more options, I can look some up for you.

• Paid Members
Cheers man, I'll take a look at a few of these at lunch. I looked at the steak place, looks great but with no reservations, am I likely to be waiting ages for a table given it will probably quite a busy night tomorrow?

I've never had to wait particularly long - at most five minutes - and I went on Fridays. Service is pretty fast, so their turnaround tends to be also. Obviously, I wouldn't guarantee it, but I'd wager they'd be able to accommodate you quite sharpish.

EDIT: Ooh, also - check out the Cape Town Fish Market that freaky mentioned in the first post as well. It's also just round the corner from Oxford Circus, and it's superb.

• Moderators

Well if you like the idea of steak then there's a real good place called Buenos Aires* in the triangle between St Pauls / Bank / Cannon Street.

There's quite a few pubs and bars around there too. Including a nice rooftop cocktail bar on top of the One New Change shopping centre that's well worth a visit... though I've only been there in the summer, I'm sure they've got heaters and canopies and stuff.

* I haven't actually been to this branch. They've got 4 restaurants and the original one is down south near me, so I've been going for a few years and it's my favourite steak place.

• Paid Members
I think he was alluding to the fact that it's Valentines tomorrow. Going anywhere without a reservation is probably not a risk worth taking..

Fair enough. The other places I mentioned do reservations, anyway.

• Paid Members

For what its worth, I thought for VFM Chipotle was pretty good actually.

Thanks to Taste Card I discovered Steak Exchange near Liverpool St Station. Sounds cheap and nasty, actually rather posh and the best steaks Ive had in the UK. Their chateaubriand is outstanding. About

• Paid Members
Bifkin, would she not appreciate the genteel surroundings of an Angus Steak House then?

I suppose it depends just how concerned she is about helping crime gangs dispose of their bodies.

Archived