Eating Out

Loki

Thought I'd break this out into a new thread, as it'd be bloody useful and I know the Mods aren't very good at splitting threads... ;)

I reckon there's a thread in this - good places to eat in London and environs.

I was recommended an amazing Taiwanese place called Leong's Legend Continues, in Chinatown. Fucking great food, not that pricey and not somewhere you need to dress up for. Definitely recommend.

Found a great place near Oxford Circus tube station called the Cape Town Fish Market. Great food, great prices and something a little different to your usual steak and chips. Try the potjiekos - it's gorgeous.

We went there for my little sister's birthday, it's great. You can get a pretty decent deal there if you book it through Top Table.

Also, part of my current job is researching restaurants in London, and, in some cases, writing the odd review. There's a place call Flat Iron Steak in Soho which is awesome. Sorry for the shill, but here's hoping this helps (and any feedback on my writing wouldn't be bad, either):

What

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Also, check out my mate's blog - he's been reviewing quite a few new places recently. His writing doesn't really go beyond basic description, but it gives you an idea of the quality and what to expect. Also, his pics are pretty good:

Wilkes 888

• Moderators

The best sushi I have had in London was at a place called Yashin in Kensington. Really amazing stuff. It's not cheap, but they do those assorted tasting plate type things for a decent price so you can try a bit of everything.

It's a small restaurant so it's worth calling ahead.

• Paid Members

Finding good sushi for a decent price is becoming increasingly more difficult in London, so thanks for the tip. The best sushi I've ever had was at Umu, a mega-elite place in Bond Street - a friend and I went there just to try as a one-off a few years ago, and it's exorbitant. Astoundingly great sushi and sashimi, but we ended up paying

• Paid Members
Somebody please take advantage of the topic title and they fact sushi is mentioned...

:laugh:

By sheer dint of your post, you've done that.

META AS FUCK

• Moderators

They've got quite a few branches these days. Quality control is pretty decent - It's still been very nice at every outlet I've been to. Their selection of tequilas has gone a little downhill though.

Somebody please take advantage of the topic title and they fact sushi is mentioned...

Right now on the main page, next to Off Topic it says:

"Eating out

Chest Rockwell"

• Paid Members
They've got quite a few branches these days. Quality control is pretty decent - It's still been very nice at every outlet I've been to. Their selection of tequilas has gone a little downhill though.

Yeah, Wahaca and Chipotle have been buying up all the smaller chains around central London.

If you want a great selection of tequila, then El Camion in Brewer St is a pretty cromulent place to go - their basement houses The Pink Chihuahua, a Mexican-themed cocktail bar run by Dick Bradsell, who apparently was the world's top cocktail barman/mixologist at one point. He runs this now in semi-retirement, and does an amazing rum-shack punch.

They've got a really wide selection of drinks - cocktails, batidas, gringas, plus lots of tequilas - Ocho, Tapatio, Patron, Corralejo - of all types, including Ocho's esoteric curado (smoked) tequila. And, to top it off, they've got a pretty good line in mezcals as well.

I went to Wahaca last time I was in London, I enjoyed it, the food was good and they had a decent vegetarian selection for anyone who would want to know that. I tried cactus for the first time, it was interesting...

• Paid Members
If you're after steak I recommend The Bountiful Cow in Holborn.

What's it like, price-wise? And is there any particular cut you'd recommend?

• Paid Members

Price wise it could actually be better. You're looking at about twenty quid for a t-bone and chips. But, it is so far the best t-bone I've ever had. I've also had their rump, and that was about fifteen quid with chips, and again it was really good.

Theres a great pub in Euxton (The Plough) that has an exotic meat menu and you cook it yourself on a boiling hot stone slab. Only had it once but there was Wildboar, Springbok and Bison on it which I had.

Many people have objections to eating veal but for me theres no greater taste than it being used in a Wienerschnitzel.

Nice, one of the people I work with went their for their birthday just after Xmas, said it was good, shall add it to the list. Having said that ,the amount of good food pubs around here is verging on the ridiculous anyway. Here is just a small selection

In no particular order :-

The Plough at Eaves, Woodplumpton

Ye Horns Inn

Three Fishes, Mitton

The Fence Gate Inn, Fence

The Parkers Arms, Newton in Bowland

The Inn at Whitewell, Whitewell

Three of the above made it into the independent 50 Best Country Pubs of 2012 in The Independent

Chuck in further places like The Hospital Inn, Bamber Bridge, The Derby Arms, Longridge, and The Clog and Billycock, Blackburn as well as others, truly spoilt around here!

Ill chuck this in the elsewhere as should have a place here

Also in London, can recommend Brixton Village Grill, in Brixton Village

Archived