The Weird and Wonderful World of WCW Nitro

Forrest

Larry just couldn't seem to stand women in wrestling and sometimes in general and on occasion would spout odd poetry on commentary.

"Darwinian Man / No matter how well-behaved / Is merely a gorilla / Well shaved."

That's just a touch too highbrow for most of the yokels watching the 'rasslin.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know what number episodes they were? All episodes on the network are numbered with the exception of 29/12/1999 which is 'Nitro Millenium Special' and is a general Best of Nitro from when it started in 95

I've tried googling Hogan tribute episode Nitro and reboot episode and I'm not getting any results. Not sure of the episode numbers. I found the Hulk special on an old VHS quite a few years back (then end was missing though) and was wondering if that was part of the official Nitro listings or whether it was just a one-off special episode. Also I'm trying to think of the airdate of the reboot episode. I found snippets of that on a tape too, I think Tony hosted it and they were playing clips of the big moments in WCW history and talking about WCW going on hiatus for a few weeks or something. Whether it was when they thought Bischoff's Fusinet deal was going through I don't know. But I think I'd date it before then, so maybe 2000 some time when Russo and Bischoff tried to co-exist together.

• Paid Members

The week before the April 10 2000 show, Madden and Tony sat down and did a best of special, talking about how great Bischoff and Russo were going to be as a team. The Hogan special was in late 98 when he was running for president. I dont think its on the Network.

The week before the April 10 2000 show, Madden and Tony sat down and did a best of special, talking about how great Bischoff and Russo were going to be as a team. The Hogan special was in late 98 when he was running for president. I dont think its on the Network.

Yep that's the one, thanks. The time frame for the Hulkster show makes sense too and yeah that was when he was kayfabe running for president. IIRC he announced it on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

• Paid Members

I'm up to Episode 6 and the main note is how many boos Hogan gets.

There is a look on Lugers face when Sting calls him a fanny which is priceless, he looks like he's genuinely about to cry. In the same promo sting cuts Savage off midway through stealing the heat like a trooper too.

Interesting booking here too, there's two matches no one wants to see, but if luger and savage win we get might get the match people do want to see. It could build beautify to something, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

The lasting image though is of Crispin Wah. They big him up on the mic and then show him getting out of a limo in an ill fitting suit with the worst barnet on earth. The fucking state of the man.

Edit: A general point but when does big show stop the full front bump with the chokeslam? It looks a billion times better then anything he's done in years, except perhaps getting punched in the face by Floyd on that no way out.

The lasting image though is of Crispin Wah. They big him up on the mic and then show him getting out of a limo in an ill fitting suit with the worst barnet on earth. The fucking state of the man.

"So this is it? Where the big boys play" And then doesn't appear for the rest of the episode. Classic WCW

Those early Nitros really are great viewing though. It was much more fun to watch than what was on Raw at the time

• Paid Members

If you take Hogan and Bitchtits Beefcake out the mix it's a great little show. That said nothing kills the 'cool factor' quite like Zodiac sticking out the sunroof of a monster truck, like a dog enjoying a ride in the car.

It's hilarious in retrospect though.

• Paid Members

You need to go back and watch old episode of Worldwide from 99. Beefcake had been given his walking papers by this point, so during his matches Scott Hudson just rips the piss out of him. Hudson on commentary introduces him as "Dizzy Brutus Boulder The Beefcake Zodiac Booty Butcher Barber Disciple Yes/No Man With No Name The Amazing Leslie." Then starts commenting on how he was once called "The Man With No Man", even though he has more than anyone.

The Amazing Leslie also begins dressing as Brutus Beefcake near the end of his WCW run. No idea why.

• Paid Members

February 7th 2000. I started watching 2000 era Nitro's recently oddly enough. Ed Ferrera comes out with a doctor who he claims did Madusa's tits and she batters them both. Madusa's boobies look fucking ridiculous. Like they are props from the warehouse to get a cheap laugh. She doesnt look comfortable at all.

Debra McMichael must have had a personality transplant when she joined the WWF, because her run in 97 was amazing. I completely forgot how great she is in her role as the gossip queen. "You didnt hear this from me, but when God was handing faces, Woman thought she said cases and said 'I'll have a leather one please'." What a line that is.

Yeah, I managed to track it down on DDT Digest. Madusa got quite a bit of T.V in late '99 thro' Feb 00. Unfortunately for her, not too much of it was wrestling, though that was pretty much the case for most on the roster at that time. Having been part of Savage's hot mess entourage for 2 or 3 months in the middle of '99, following a 2-year period off screen, she held the Cruiserweight Title for a short spell, before the much criticized Oklahoma angle kicked-in. I'd forgotten she came out as La Parka a couple of weeks later. Literally didn't know what she was doing from one week to the next.

7b59c2494021655.jpg 0bd306494021660.jpg

I've just finished 1995 Nitro's and PPV's on the network.

Echo the above about Hogan getting booed silly. Starcarde 95 was fun though with a random WCW Vs New Japan thing, which wasn't heavily promoted on TV, barring the main event matches.

WCW at this time is a mixture of pure wrestlecrap (Dungeon of Doom stuff) and them really trying to be inovative/different, with new guys debuting almost every week, you really do get a sense of WCW trying to bring in "young/Fresh" talents.

Archived