The Weird and Wonderful World of WCW Nitro

Forrest

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to love when the cameras were at the commentary table and he'll just up and leave to pose to the crowd.

It was great really how those drunk crowds kept themselves going when nothing was happening. Sometimes Nitro would start and all I could think was after the title music for the live crowd you've got just ten minutes of dead air as recaps are aired and the commentary team go over the entire landscape.

If that happened nowadays the crowd would have invented their own Vogon language to hurl abuse with by the time the first match went out.

Larry Z trying to get "new world ouder" over on Nitro in 96 was equivalent to the dentist drill. He must have said it fifty times every week and it never got a reaction out of Schiavone

You would assume so but wasn't the WCW video library in a right state? Wouldn't be shocked if a lot of footage is lost.

They definitely have some Thunder as they have been used in docs and stuff over the years.

If they can source the missing/damaged Thunder episodes from somewhere I reckon it will be added eventually. If the 'lost' episodes are of things like Power Hour, Saturday Night, WCW Pro etc I don't think they'll bother

• Paid Members

I'm working my way through from nitro ep1 to the last one with ppv's.

I'm about 5 or so in and its surprisingly good. In retrospect I can enjoy the Dungeon of Doom vs Hogan as the camp shite it was, although at the time it must have been painful, but even then there's some great stuff going on elsewhere on the books.

Watching back the London Nitro from Nov 2000 & some classic WCW booking with the London Lethal Lottery.

4 'randomly drawn teams' created, 2 semi finals then a final.

The final winners will then face each other on Thunder with the winner getting a shot against the World Champion......

.....as World Champion Booker T is named as one of the 8 entrants.

Awesome! (Yes, he's in it too

• Paid Members

Larry Z did my head in. I know it's an unpopular opinion but I just can't stand him.

It really shouldn't be. He was wank.
Yeah I think the opposite is true - that everyone knows Zbyszko was a boring, insufferable cunt on commentary. Spoiling the outcome of storylines to come off like the smartest man in the room and the endless repetition of "Mexican Jumping Beans" and the already mentioned "New World Odour" for about 3 years. He was fucking shit.

Out of curiosity is the Hogan tribute episode included where they showed his best matches on Nitro, time frame is when he was "running for president". Think there's also a reboot epsiode too of the best Nitro matches when they brought back Bischoff to work with Russo & Ferrera. Unless they just showed those to the UK & International viewers.

Archived