Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

Just listened to Daniel Bryan on Jericho's podcast. Jericho's so bad, I only caught very slight amounts of the pre- and post-interview stuff with him but it made my skin crawl. He's not as bad during the interviews but he does this cringey fake laugh all the time that puts me off. He's a gobshite as well, when he's going "guys like you, me, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart were never meant to be future world champions, but we did it on our own." Jericho had a fucking countdown clock for weeks to his first appearance on Raw and debuted interrupting The Rock! He was marked for stardom before he ever set foot in the door. It was only when he turned up, was a bit shit, and rubbed everyone up the wrong way that things looked like they might not pan out.

Bryan was pretty great on it.

To be fair, it was his work in the other promotions that got him that push. He wouldn't have been picked as a guy to put the belt on unless he'd have shown character and been a good wrestler. Like how Bryan's work around the world would have helped persuade WWE he's worth a shot after he showed character.

To be fair, it was his work in the other promotions that got him that push.

Which makes his "WWE never saw me as a star when I first signed but I made myself the champ" talk utter nonsense.

Fair enough then. I didn't realise that was said.

You thought that when wrestlers said WWE brass didn't see them as a star at first, they were referring to the day they walked out of wrestling school? Fucking hell.

I'm amazed that Jericho puts himself in that bracket. Daniel Bryan, Steve Austin, Cowboy Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels were all guys that were probably deemed to have a midcard (or tag, in Michaels' case) ceiling at first. You can understand why Jericho would lump Bryan, Michaels and Bret together. But Y2J himself had the megapush debut. His striving from the bottom fantasy struggle makes for a better story than "I came in with the big push, flopped a bit, but won the belt anyway."

Edited by King Pitcos

He's saying 'we were never meant to be world champions' because of size obviously. However, he did enough in WCW for WWF to give him the push. I know it's different to say Austin who came in saddled with a shit gimmick or Bryan who was playing a dork and they overcame their obstacles in the WWF/E, but Jericho overcame his obstacles in WCW enough for WWF to have faith in him. He's saying that someone like Matt Morgan would be touted as a future champion because of his look whereas Jericho had to work Mexico, Japan and ECW to get noticed in a top promotion and then differentiate himself enough for WWF to give him that push. It wasn't an easy route.

He's saying 'we were never meant to be world champions' because of size obviously.

Irrelevant, when he was brought into the WWF to compete with world champions. He wasn't brought in as a lower-card geek, so him pretending that WWE never saw anything in him at first is bollocks.

If he specifically said that WWE saw nothing in him then fair enough. WCW didn't elevate a lot of their younger guys to the main event so they only saw him at the level he was there. In that case, they didn't see him as a future world champion. As I say, it's not the same as WWE hiring Bryan and making him look a goon initially but he has a point to an extent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Bully Ray is great on Jericho's shows from last week, really enjoyed the interview. Jericho is just about tolerable when he's got someone else to talk to, but when he's left to his own devices he's absolutely excruciating.

Listened to Goldberg on The Ross Report too. He states yet again that he would like to do business with WWE. Really hope they give him the opportunity.

• Paid Members

Ian Rotten was great on Colt's podcast last week. Was never a fan, but a great bloke and quite humble too with some cool stories. I just assumed he'd have an inflated sense of importance, but he was pretty cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Finally caught up with the first three Austin/Bischoff podcast. It's absolutely terrific stuff. I liked Bisch more than I thought he would. he seemed open about his mistakes and doesn't seem too hung up on things he might have done or wished he'd done. What a great attitude.

I found the Bret Hart stuff especially good. I really, really want to hear Austin interview Bret for the response. Be nice if Bret was as open and honest as Bischoff was. The only slight disappointment was not hearing Bischoff quizzed on his treatment of Ric Flair.

Love Austin though. He's a natural at this. I'd love WWE to get him a show on the network doing it in front of the camera.

That question "Do wrestlers from parts unknown get their pay check in person because the company doesn't know where to send it?" was brilliant.

• Paid Members
Love Austin though. He's a natural at this. I'd love WWE to get him a show on the network doing it in front of the camera.

What sets him apart from every other wrestler doing a podcast is you forget it's interview most of the time, as it feels like you're listening into a conversation two mates are having down the pub. JR and Jericho are ok, but it's very much question and answer sessions, where as Austin often heads off into tangents after the guests brings something up during a question.

Can't wait for the Triple H and Undertaker shows he's promised in the future.

Edited by ColinBollocks