UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

Yeah I think I've voiced my opinion in this thread in the past about going to see nostalgia / past their prime acts but this one is pretty tempting. Del is the biggest draw though and I did see him with automator doing deltron when they were touring the second album so I don't think this would top that..

Someone has uploaded the entirety of The Hip Hop Years, the Channel 4 documentary from 1999.

I taped this at the time, and absolutely rinsed it. It's as important to me developing such a love for rap, as the music I listened to. We absolutely worshipped this documentary. 

Of course, 25 years have passed since, so it's a bit dated now, and some of the stories are well told, but they weren't when it first aired. 

From seeing Run DMC talking about all their mates laughing at them for Walk This Way, to Kool Herc outside on Sedgwick Avenue and telling about the first jams, to the Charlton Heston/Ice T battle (second episode is probably the best) it's fantastic. 

It was originally in 3 parts, but all in one hit here. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Brother Ali has a new album out. I'm enjoying it so far; first listen now... (There's a track with aesop rock on it @SuperBacon )

Nice! I'll check that out.

Nothing really new to report my end. Been listening to The Blackout! album a lot recently. Still think it's one of the most fun rap albums ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to most of the new Ghostface walking back from the school run, and it sounds great.

This especially sounds lovely this morning, and I'm sure when he made it, he imagined a 39yo white man with an overpriced flat white walking along in rural Hampshire bopping away like I did, so he's done well.

Skits can, as always, go away though.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

I just had a first listen to this album and went looking for this thread to post about it.

I can only imagine you wrote that post within the first 10 tracks and didn't realise how long the album is because it takes a sharp nosedive in to complete garbage that I'll definitely never listen to again. I will listen to start of the album again though, some nice stuff in there.

I did find it funny that ghostface has clearly taken advantage of Kanye's plummeting stock to bag a feature off him. Carny that he is. (Kanye's verse is dogshit, if anyone is wondering)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 2 weeks later...

25 years ago Soundbombing II was released. Man we're old. 

I don't think its over emphasis to say that listening to that as a 14yo was mind blowing and shaped so much of the rap music that I loved and still love today.

I probably only bought it for the Eminem track (one of his very best still) but I discovered so many artists, every track is wicked (The Bahamadia one is a bit weak) and the Beat Junkies kill the mix.

If you've never heard it, listen to it. Not on streaming though. Lame.

https://m.soundcloud.com/selectabwoy/rawkus-presents-soundbombing-ii-1999