Moving to London

fugaziuk

Cheers for the advice. I was only looking at south ken as most of the flat shares on the sites seems to be there or acton. I haven't got a huge budget and am factoring in oyster card etc - so hoping for somewhere zone 2/3 to keep travel costs down.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers for the advice. I was only looking at south ken as most of the flat shares on the sites seems to be there or acton. I haven't got a huge budget and am factoring in oyster card etc - so hoping for somewhere zone 2/3 to keep travel costs down.

If you haven't got a huge budget, Crystal Palace is probably among your best bets. It's not the best place in the world, and it's a bit out of the way, but it's probably as good a place value for money wise as you'll get in London and there's plenty of trains/overgrounds in to the centre.

Acton's pretty far out from everything

If you haven't got a huge budget, Crystal Palace is probably among your best bets. It's not the best place in the world, and it's a bit out of the way, but it's probably as good a place value for money wise as you'll get in London and there's plenty of trains/overgrounds in to the centre.

Nowt wrong with the Palace. And it is zone 3.

• Paid Members
To cut a long story short - I have been offered a job in the big smoke. I'm from Yorkshire and I have been down there a few times to see the sights, go to plays etc.

However moving down there seems quite daunting. I was wondering if any other board members have made the switch from the rest of the U.K to the captial. How easy was it to find a decent place to live, make friends and did you enjoy the experience?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Fuck off, we're full.

As tedious as it may sound, I'd suggest popping down here for a day or two of "sight-seeing" to see which of the intended Zone 2/3 areas you find appealing or ghastly.

• Paid Members
Are the norths of cities shit in other places? North London is shit and north Manchester is REALLY shit. Is anywhere else like that?

In all seriousness, North London isn't shit as a whole. It has shit areas. Most places do. Go to Crouch End, Muswell Hill, Highgate, parts of Finchley. Stroud Green Road is pretty nice before you hit Finsbury Park. Large swathes of Islington and fucking nice. Not shit at all.

• Paid Members

Indeed jobber. And those saying south is a better part of London to live in are forgetting about Brixton, Peckham, Bermondsey, Southwark, Lambeth etc. There's decent areas and utter shite at both ends to be honest.

Are the norths of cities shit in other places? North London is shit and north Manchester is REALLY shit. Is anywhere else like that?

England ;-)

Move to West London. After you go past expensive places like Hammersmith and Chiswick you'll find decent and cheaper places like Brentford, Perivale, Northolt, Isleworth. All have great bus routes, access to several tube stations (20 mins into the centre of London on average) and the price of a pint is never normally more than

• Paid Members
it just seemed to be filled with teen gangs and angry eastern Europeans.

That's London all right. I say the OP goes to London, I guarantee he'll be mugged or unappreciated.

The North end of Birmingham, I believe but I may be mistaken, has Aston, Lozells and Alum Rock and while I've only ever been to Aston myself I've never heard any one say anything even close to positive about any of the three.

Archived