Moving to London

fugaziuk

To cut a long story short - I have been offered a job in the big smoke. I'm from Yorkshire and I have been down there a few times to see the sights, go to plays etc.

However moving down there seems quite daunting. I was wondering if any other board members have made the switch from the rest of the U.K to the captial. How easy was it to find a decent place to live, make friends and did you enjoy the experience?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I haven't actually lived in London (have always lived just outside in the home counties) but I love the place with a passion. So much to do it's insane, I've been into London hundreds of times and there is still so many places to visit and things to do. As for making friends etc, I'd have thought it would be quite easy given the amount of bars in town. Very expensive place though.

Nothing permanent, but I lived in Bethnal Green for five months then a month in Tottenham Hale earlier this year during the Olympics, and it was brilliant. If you've lived away from home before, whether at uni or otherwise then it's not really a massive adjustment. Depending on where you're working, the tube/bus/train will probably be unhealthily rammed at peak times, but that goes without saying-and be prepared to not get on a few if its a particularly busy route. But once you get used to it, you cope.

It helped that I already knew a few people who lived down there, and the people I worked with were sound. Personally the best things for me were stuff I couldn't do back in Nuneaton. Smart cinemas showing foreign language/independent stuff you just don't see in in typical multiplexes, being able to go for a run or stroll by so many great landmarks and the fact you can go for a night out and get back to pretty much anywhere on a night bus without having to pay for a taxi, plus getting to the O2 for WWE or a gig without having to factor in travel and accommodation costs etc.

Of course there are the down sides-transport as I mentioned can be grim, accommodation is ridiculously priced, you won't get a pint for less than

• Paid Members

fugaziuk, what part of London are you moving to? I've lived here all my life so know most of it pretty good.

Should be easy enough to make friends, loads of people move here to work. Just join a few clubs of stuff that you are interested in, tons of pubs/bars/music venues/uni's etc. It might be a bit daunting at first but there is such an incredible amount of things to do that you'll probably always be able to find something to interest you on days off.

Basically, London is fucking brilliant.

EDIT: You can easily find pints under 4 quid, just stay away from the central London tourist traps.

Hi thanks for all the tips. I don't start till after xmas so have been looking at house shares till i find my feet and have chance to look for somewhere else. The area i have been looking at is south kensington.

Which areas should I avoid looking at for houses?

Hi thanks for all the tips. I don't start till after xmas so have been looking at house shares till i find my feet and have chance to look for somewhere else. The area i have been looking at is south kensington.

Which areas should I avoid looking at for houses?

Personally i'd avoid living anywhere too central, especially South Ken which is full of students and tourists all year round and rents will likely be eyewateringly expensive. As previous folk have said, the tube's pretty great and you're usually never too far from the middle anyway. It'll also be much quieter, both in terms of noise and people, and tends to have more of a community feel. I lived in Aldgate for a year when I first moved down and while having Brick Lane and Liverpool Street just round the corner was convenient, the noise was constant and with so many people around it was impossible to properly relax (although admittedly we did have an amazing view of the police charging some yoofs when a protest in a nearby park got a bit heated). I moved to Wood Green when the contract was up and despite my preconceptions of it being like something out of Escape From New York it's much more serene and it's amazing how much actual houses and gardens make a difference. Still only 20 minutes into Kings Cross and regular nightbuses for a night out. Rent's also about

• Paid Members

Does anyone here work in London during the week and live elsewhere at the weekends? In my area of work there's always lots of good jobs in London. I wouldn't move there but if anything happened to my job I would have to consider it. Problem is I'm a 4 hour train journey from London.

I agree not too central is good. I'm in Crystal Palace, and just because it's not on the tube, rents are about 2/3 what they are in Brixton a couple of miles up the road. We've got the Overground here, which is essentially part of the tube network these days, and with the trains and buses, I can be in Victoria within half an hour of leaving my front door, and Kings Cross within 50 minutes.

Don't listen to all that Hackney is dangerous blah blah blah as it is a big borough with the majority of people living there being decent working people, everywhere in the country has gangs of kids up to know good and being realistic 99.9% of the time if you don't bother these people they are not going to bother you just don't go wandering into some dodgy estate that you don't know at a stupid time of night. People always say Tottenham is bad but I've lived there for almost 30 years and have never had a single spot of trouble simply because I do not go out seeking it, I live in a lovely quiet road and with the Victoria line I can be in the west end or central London within 15 minutes. London can be a daunting place if you are not used to living in a City, my girlfriend discovered this when she moved in with me 4 years ago and she is still adapting, remember there are like 8 million people living here which is a huge percentage of Britain's population so it gets very busy with transport and everything. London should be experienced by everyone as there is always just so much to see and do here, never a dull moment in my opinion.

Archived