Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I've watched Rumble 95, Wrestlemania XI, Rumble 96 and Wrestlemania XII this week.

I'd have to agree that 1995 was a shit Rumble match, in fact both of the 95 pay per views were awful. The change in style between the two years is so evident it's crazy, I can't begin to image such a style shift happening in 12 months now.

On the subject of random thoughts though, before his match with Bundy at Wrestlemania XI, McMahon says that the Undertaker is undefeated at Wrestlemania. This is going into his fourth Mania match. Made me wonder at which point they decided there was going to be a streak because if they were already mentioning that early on, it could have been way back then but they only started making a point once he'd racked up a few wins.

Also: What was with Dick Murdoch being in the 95 Rumble and Dory Funk in the 96 one?

Edited by Au

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, Pete Gas bouncing his throat off the bottom rope while trying to get in the ring was ace.

Au - think they started acknowledging the streak around the time he beat Flair at WrestleMania X8. Taker even held up 10 fingers after the match to signify 10-0. I can't remember it being referred to much really before that.

Edited by wandshogun09

The first time I remember them making a big thing of the streak was when Taker was going for his 10th win against Flair at WM18

Re: Murdoch and Dory, I suppose it was just a case of anyone can show up in the Royal Rumble. 97 had Mil Mascaras, Latin Lover and Omari in it. Did kind of go against the whole new generation schtik though

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I thought the Royal Rumble matches from 1993, 1995 and 2000 were the worst ones ever. But that 1995 Rumble was just awful. Infact the whole PPV was horrible.

The '95 one still got a lot of play (well pausing, rewinding, then pausing again) in my house. Admittedly it was just for the Pamela Anderson bits.

It's like Vince even knew that Rumble was going to be shit, so he had a new guy entering every minute in a 'let's just fucking get this over with' way. Shite like Mantaur, Ron and Don Harris and Duke Droese cluttering up the ring. It was the 'fastest Rumble match ever' but it still seemed to drag somehow. Shawn and Davey Boy were great throughout though. And Pamela (I could swear I could make out nipple outline through that dress).

Yep it was the first thing i had noticed. She had nothing on under that dress. Her ass looked amazing in that dress too.

• Paid Members

I actually liked the 1995 Royal Rumble. Yeah, it was filled with crap, but it was still a good bout. The undercard’s great too: 123-Kid & Bob Holly vs. Bam Bam Bigelow & Tatanka was better than it sounded on paper; Jeff Jarrett vs. Razor Ramon was a good heel showcase for Jeff; Undertaker vs. IRS was passable; and Diesel vs. Bret Hart was a good big man vs. little man match, although that does drag a bit only to end in a draw.

And Pamela Anderson is just the icing on the cake.

Edited by Your Fight Site

All four matches on the 95 Rumble card lasted almost 30 mins each. Did people really want to see Taker Vs IRS last that long?

Taker/IRS didn't even last for half of that time. It wouldn't even have taken that long for the whole segment itself. It was shite, but it was relatively quick. The other three matches (of which only Bret/Diesel went anywhere near half an hour) were great and easily redeemed the show imo, in addition to Pam and the LT angle.

The rumble match itself was crap, but I had no probs with any of those gimmick wrestlers mentioned above being in it. They were all big, new, made for decent eliminations, and were perfect fodder for that kind of match. I'd also have thrown Man Mountain Rock in for those same reasons instead of just playing guitar. Take out some of the pointless tag teams like Bushwhackers and Well Dunn, make it more star studded by replacing with some of those bigger names who already had a match (and Hakushi), create or continue some stories/ feuds, and you wouldnt have been a million miles off a good rumble match.

Mania XI indeed, was utter horseshit though. Probably the worst from all the years I followed. I just read an article the other night about Zebekiahs Wrestlemania weekend that year in which he thought it was a pretty decent show. I figured he'd be a good read with lots of funny and interesting tales, but surprisingly he was pretty boring.

Edited by Reznor

All four matches on the 95 Rumble card lasted almost 30 mins each. Did people really want to see Taker Vs IRS last that long?

Only the WWF Title match went near 30 minutes, the rest of the undercard didn't even go over 20mins. Even the Rumble only went 38mins bell to bell

You seem to be on 'Bret Hart Time'

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Taker/IRS didn't even last for half of that time. It wouldn't even have taken that long for the whole segment itself. It was shite, but it was relatively quick. The other three matches (of which only Bret/Diesel went anywhere near half an hour) were great and easily redeemed the show imo, in addition to Pam and the LT angle.

It's been that long since i had watched that PPV so it seemed like they were all half hour matches. Either way i have no plans to watch it again. When i feel like watching back to back Rumble events i always skip this one. Boring on every level.

Edited by Lemon Juice

It's been that long since i had watched that PPV so it seemed like they were all half hour matches. Either way i have no plans to watch it again. When i feel like watching back to back Rumble events i always skip this one. Boring on every level.

It's understandable with that match alright, it would've felt like it. That whole Taker v Corporation feud never had one single minute of entertainment. it was one of the worst extended feuds/angles they've ever done and it lasted around two-thirds of a year! Fortunately, it was practuically done by the time we actually got RAW over here

• Paid Members

They stopped the blading when they switched to PG. Yes i know they bladed a couple of times while it was PG in 1997 but it seemed to have been banned full stop since the PG switch in September 2008. They stopped the chair shots to the head to reduce the number of concussions.

Was just reading an Observer from Feb '96 whete they printed a letter Vince sent to Ted Turner. What a difference a few years make:

McMahon also wrote a letter, sent fed-ex, to Turner, on 2/8 which read: "Dear Ted: Since there has been no response to my repeated request and you and your pro-wrasslin' company stop the practice of self mutilation, I can only assume based upon the last two weeks of Nitro that the practice of self mutilation (slicing oneself with a razor blade) is not only condoned but encouraged. As you know, Hulk Hogan has been bleeding all over the place the past two weeks. There have been numerous references on your wrasslin programming that this weekend's double cage match will be so violent that one opponent will be "bleeding to the point of no recognition." This encouraged practice of self mutilation is disgusting, violent, potentially infectious and completely contradictory in everyway to your testimony before Congress in June of 1993 and contrary to your 1995 participation of "Voices against Violence." Notwithstanding numerous unprecedented predatory practices against the World Wrestling Federation, if you continue to promote self mutilation, I hope your stockholders hold you accountable for this unethically, guttural, potentially unhealthy practice."

Loved it on the 3rd episode of the Monday War series when Vince was talking about the time Turner called him up and said "The only reason why you're starting to beat us it's because you show the tit" Couldn't stop laughing at that one. Especially the way Vince said it.