Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Moderators
Eurosport used to show Wrestling Challenge back in the day when it was also on Sky, and that was after Eurosport left the Sky family. I wonder if they somehow count it as not relevant to UK exclusivity -- it does look like it's on all Eurosport, not just the UK feed.

Still don't know if it'll be up to date episodes, but Eurosport are also showing WWE This Week, which presumably has to be up to date.

Yeah, Eurosport have been carrying WWE across Europe for quite a while now. Just find it odd that WWE has carriage on British Eurosport now all of a sudden. Hopefully Eurosport will do what they did when they had the short lived rights to TNA Impact and dub in their own awful commentary.

Chris Daniels is a 3-time PW world champion.

Also, the British woman who fronts Eurosport's WWE coverage on the continent is obscenely fit. Hoping we get more of her.

Off Topic: But is Eurosport 2 going for more of a US Sports feel now? NFL, WWE, College Ball...

Edited by PowerButchi

Got me a double with Duggan and Studd. They didn't really make clear if the ones they showed for the Hogan films were the only suggestions, but my third answer was The Ultimate Weapon which I can't believe got mentioned by anyone.

Aren't the rules, cinema release only and no cameos? If cameos counted, wasn't he in Spy Hard 2?

Got me a double with Duggan and Studd. They didn't really make clear if the ones they showed for the Hogan films were the only suggestions, but my third answer was The Ultimate Weapon which I can't believe got mentioned by anyone.

Aren't the rules, cinema release only and no cameos? If cameos counted, wasn't he in Spy Hard 2?

Needs to have received a credit for it to count.

No such film as Spy Hard 2. He was in Spy Hard though.

Unless you meant Spy Hard too, of course.

Edited by The Dart

Has there ever been a better pairing together than Slick and Akeem? Maybe Jimmy and Honky, Hennig and Heenan, but its all close.

I think WWE should use real music for the odd competitor and not theyre usual shite. If u look how much it adds to punk, and how much it added to hogan with eye of the tiger and rotunda and spivey etc.....like when raw first went to raw is war and it used marilyn manson - it added so much. someone should come out to tina turners simply the besy, like eubank used to, get a decent sing song on the go, especially over here on the tours.

Tama from the Islanders had the best big splash ever, is he rikishis uncle or some relative, or samus.

Hart versus Kid and Samu from early raws are quality matches. I know austin mentioned it on his podcast bu i used to spot it as a kid, the way barry windham used to get in the ring was one of the most graceful things ever.

If Brock had have beat hhh at mania last yr and remained fearsome since then then maybe he might seem a threat as a possible opponent of taker at mania, but i could never suspect he would beat him after losing to hhh last yr - thats if they do fight, unless they show clips of his 2003 cage match and say takers never really got the better of him.

I cant buy into Heyman as a great great manager like most, i think his vocabulary and points he makes on interviews are brilliant, but i dont think he would piss the average sothern redneck off as much as jimmy hart with a megaphone or the king insulting their local football team, maybe heymans the thinking mans wrestling fans best manager....

• Paid Members
If Brock had have beat hhh at mania last yr and remained fearsome since then then maybe he might seem a threat as a possible opponent of taker at mania, but i could never suspect he would beat him after losing to hhh last yr - thats if they do fight, unless they show clips of his 2003 cage match and say takers never really got the better of him.

Hang on.... you won't think Lesnar has a chance of beating Taker.... unless they show clips to remind you of a match that you appear to already be aware of??? How does that work?

Incidentally, the Cell match you're thinking of was 2002 not 2003, the Hitman match you're thinking of was against Fatu, not Samu.

Edited by air_raid

Has there ever been a better pairing together than Slick and Akeem?

Boss Man and Slick were better for my money. Little back con man and a bully of a prison guard. I can only imagine the back story of how they came together.

i cant argue with that, the twin towers intro before the main event is one of my favourite things ever. All 3 were brilliant. I always thpught Bossman brought an edge to Slick what Martel and Akeem didnt. But I just loved slick dancing with Akeem and Martel. Slick is glorious. One of my favourite moves ever is bossman getting punched while sitting on the top turnbuckle and leaning right back as though he was going to fall of it but bending back up. Him and Barbarian had a great match at rr 91 i think.

Sure it was samu bret fought and not fatu - bloody nose match?

• Paid Members

You can be as sure as you want, you're wrong. Google it, YouTube it, whatever you want.

In fact, I'll save you the trouble. The whole episode of Raw is here, and it's the first match -

• Paid Members

WWE.Com have an article up discussing and listing what they reckon to be the 15 Best pay per views ever - http://www.wwe.com/classics/15-best-pay-per-views/page-2

This is what they consider to be the top 15:

15- Survivor Series 1995

14- Heat Wave 1998

13- Backlash 2009

12- Bash at the Beach 1996

11- Extreme Rules 2012

10- IYH - Canadian Stampede

9- No Way Out 2001

8- One Night Stand 2005

7- SummerSlam 2013

6- Great American Bash 1989

5- WrestleMania III

4- Spring Stampede 1994

3- Royal Rumble 2000

2- Money in the Bank 2011

1- WrestleMania X-Seven

Thoughts?

• Paid Members

Looked at it for 10 seconds and my first thought was that Backlash 2000 was better than the Royal Rumble 2000.

No Way Out 2001 was such an overrated pay-per-view at the time. I cant see it getting better over time either. I remember the 4 way was fantastic and main event between Rock and Angle was brilliant if you watch the match on its own, but after the 4 hour Austin vs Triple H marathon was I wasn't up for much more after that. It was just a really dull brawl which seemed to go on forever. Survivor Series 95 was a really good PPV, but for me you have to go above the call of duty to make it a all-time great event. There was one great match, one exciting opener and the Wild Card match was enjoyable, but they were what they were, more than they are what they are. There's no way that was better than Backlash 2000.

Also, Survivor Series 98 not being in the top 3, let alone the top 15, is tearfully criminal. Its my favourite PPV.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

You can be as sure as you want, you're wrong. Google it, YouTube it, whatever you want.

In fact, I'll save you the trouble. The whole episode of Raw is here, and it's the first match -

Ok, .nice find, havent seen it in a while, would love read some raw write ups from feb 97 when they went to raw is raw with the titan tron etc.... enjoying the rest of your reviews. Best thing on the forum.

• Paid Members
Thoughts?

Interesting. Most of that 15 would definitely make my top 20. I honestly haven't seen Backlash 2009 all the way through, so I won't make comment. I'm thrilled to see Survivor Series 1995 make the list in comparison to some more talked-about shows, it's definitely a perfect blend of good wrestling and entertainment for me from start to finish (one of my favourites actually), opener, Wildcard match and big time main event especially. I think for "start to finish" entertainment I might have found a place for SummerSlam '98 or '91 and I think Backlash 2000 and Fully Loaded 2000 would be more worthy of inclusion than No Way Out 2001, which is fairly divisive on here over whether Austin/HHH is great or boring - I loved it personally - and despite a cracking main event, just wasn't as good start to finish as a lot of 2000's PPV efforts.

Bash at the Beach 1996 is a really tricky one - the main event has massive historical significance but honestly as a PPV on the whole, it's not very good, and I don't think it would make my cut. SummerSlam 2013 probably suffers a bit of "recent bias" despite having two excellent and one very good match/matches. I also somewhat question the positioning of Mania III - yes, it has an outstanding wrestling match and an epic marquee main event, but it also has a lot of boring dross, and a few matches that provided good "moments" but weren't actually particularly good matches. Also while I like to look back at Heat Wave '98 as one of ECW's best shows, definitely best PPV, and a good "something for everyone" show, I think some matches are remembered as being better than they are, especially Sabu & Van Dam v Shinzaki & Hayabusa, which is very messy at times. I think a lot of people will dismiss One Night Stand as being pure nostalgia, but that doesn't take away - personally - from the fact it's really enjoyable from start to finish and gets dug out for the occasional rewatch.

On the whole though, it's a very good list, and very close to what my own 15 would look like.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Backlash 2000 and SummerSlam '91 among others like WrestleMania X and SummerSlam 2002 are in their honourable mentions. No mention at all of Survivor Series '98 i'm afraid though Ian. Backlash 2000 and SummerSlam 2002 would definitely feature highly in my list and are the big omissions for me. There's barely a weak point on either, outstanding top to bottom shows and Raid is right with Fully Loaded too. 2000 was stacked with banging ppvs and although Royal Rumble is tremendous it's always suffered for me from the actual Rumble itself being pretty rubbish.

Agreeing with Ian on No Way Out 2001 too, don't see how that could be classed so highly, as enjoyable as elements of it were. King of the Ring '93 would place for me too.

WWE.Com have an article up discussing and listing what they reckon to be the 15 Best pay per views ever - http://www.wwe.com/classics/15-best-pay-per-views/page-2

Thoughts?

Interesting to see Spring Stampede ranked so highly, never was a WCW guy so I'll have to check that out. No. 1 is a no-brainer, No.2 is one I'll need to watch as well, I've seen the amazing Cena/Punk match from that show, but unsure if I've seen the rest. Mae Young's baps aside, I loved the 2000 Rumble. Wrestlemania III can't hold up to the others as far as in-ring awesomeness (Steamboat/Savage aside, obviously), but the spectacle makes it for sure.

Going down the list- Summerslam 2013- the top two matches delivered, but the rest was just there. I thought Payback in June was a much better overall PPV. One Night Stand was magical, I remember going to a little PPV party at a mate's, eating chicken schnitzel and screaming "Holy shit!" during Awesome/Tanaka. I'm actually halfway through watching No Way Out 2001 at the moment, but having seen Austin vs HHH before, I recall enjoying that far more than Ian did, didn't drag for me whatsoever. Agree with Extreme Rules 2012 making the list, every wrestler worked their ass off like it was Mania.

Ones I would have included: Summerslam 2002 (glad to see it mentioned), Fully Loaded 2000, Unforgiven 2006, Wrestlemania 23 and Backlash 2007.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2