Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

It depends on the context in which you've heard people saying it, but they might be using the term to mean "child oriented" in reference to the subgenre of British shows that are overtly aimed at kids more than adults, with the MC leading the chorus during matches to cheer for the goodies and boo the baddies, boys and girls, while the babyface stops wrestling every thirty seconds to stamp his feet and clap his hands.

Fine for their intended audience, but possibly excruciating for older fans who've wandered into the wrong show and feel aggrieved, even though it's probably their own fault.

The 'family friendly' tag as an insult really does my head in. I almost understand people ragging on the 'PG era' because there are certain things that it obstructs within storylines; for example, a few years ago Lesnar giving 'Taker the finger whilst in the Hell's Gate from SummerSlam last year would've been a memorable visual, but now it's censored on the network, which is a shame. But what's wrong with something being family friendly?? If anything, it probably means they haven't resorted to violence or 'adult' behaviour just for the sake of looking edgy.

When did "family-friendly" wrestling become a derogatory term?

When the attitude era and ECW were in full swing. Probably before that as well. It wouldn't surprise me if there were NWA fans knocking the WWF along those lines back in the eighties.

When you go back and watch Raw from 96 you can tell that they must've taped at least 4 episodes on the same night. Some months the live crowd could watch a full PPV build up in one night.  But the thing that puzzled me is that during this time their post PPV Raw would be aired as live although even then it must've been on a tape delay on the USA Network especially when they're taping another 3 episodes following that show. During those days I don't think the fans would've still been inside the arena until midnight.

I'm wrong, I assume, but....

Didn't they only do 3 at the most in one night?

Raw started at 7pm not 8pm in those days.

If it wasn't on the east coast (although it probably was more often than not) the live show would be earlier anyway.

Raw started at 9pm in 96 as Vince states many times.  Infact Raw always started at 9 while it was a 1 hour show. If you watch all Raw episodes from post IYH Good Friends, Better Enemies to the go home show for IYH Beware Of Dog you can clearly see that it's the same arena and crowd for all 4 shows. 

Edited by The Clint

You seen to be right, but I have a memory of them making a big deal of it changing time.

Probably when it changed from 8 to 9 (when it was 2 hours)

And looks like it varied between 3 and 4 episodes but seems to be 4 more often. The non live ones probably were recorded in less than an hour too I'd imagine.

Edited by The Dart

I would have loved to have seen a BritWres televised show that took on a "Hearn-style" production.

Much like the darts etc. with a season and league table and walk on girls and drunken crowds.

Barry Hearn has stated a few times that a lot of influences on his productions have come from pro-wrestling with theme music and nicknames and even fish-o-mania being named after WrestleMania. I am sure I read somewhere too that he wanted players to exaggerate themselves a bit too for the crowds.

Would have been interesting to see a Hearn type pro wrestling event.

Edited by Powerful_Fox

Raw started at 9pm in 96 as Vince states many times.  Infact Raw always started at 9 while it was a 1 hour show. If you watch all Raw episodes from post IYH Good Friends, Better Enemies to the go home show for IYH Beware Of Dog you can clearly see that it's the same arena and crowd for all 4 shows. 

That's why I will never watch that era week to week. I tend to cherry pick the episodes that were fresh to the live crowd. The idea of watching a Raw with the knowledge that it was the third one the crowd had to sit through doesn't appeal to me at all.

When did taping them in blocks like that start, actually? I could never really tell.

Apparently so. I had a look and they started doing it from Spring 93 on. I always thought the massive block tapings were something brought in when the coinpurse was really tightening in 95/96.

• Paid Members

I didn't watch NXT when he was there, so what's the story with Chris Hero? Why did he never make it? And do people think he'd have had a better shot of succeeding now that NXT has become Triple H's Indy Fantasy Federation? I know his physique played a part in them souring on him, so I wonder how he felt when Kevin Owens flew through developmental looking like such a slob.

Edited by Supremo