Nostalgic for the 2000s?

Warrior

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

The 2000s were dire to be fair. Sitting through 2003-2007 (Raw in 2002 as well actually. It was Herb Abrams levels of shite) was such a chore it beggars belief.

I'd honestly say that my favourite part of the 2000s was the repackaging of ECW into the best hour of wrestling in a long time. It became a superb show when they fucked everyone off but Tommy Dreamer, and he was having an Indian Summer himself. Fantastic show.

i too fell off after 05/06. Only been getting back into things recently. Stuff like The Dicks, The Gymini and the Bashams were killing what i used to like about tag teams wrestling. London and Kendrick helped it a little bit with their reign. But some of the other combos around that time were really bad.

Yeah, I think of them when I think of the shit of that period. I didn't care for Batista's reign at the time either. I missed most of the Triple H/Batista feud though which I've been assured was very good.

Were Kenzo Suzuki and Rene Dupree still going in 2005? I might download the full WWE ECW. I only caught the end of the programme really.

• Paid Members

I think palmer cannon left because JBL tried to bum him, I liked him for some reason, he went on to be not very good in mma from what I remember.

The best thing about WWE in the 00s for me was Brock on smackdown in 2002-3, I always cite this as my favourite period in wrestling, Angle and Brock are my 2 faves and seeing Brock as the champion & focus of every show was great for me.

I also think I like this period because that's when I was most into wrestling, I can tell from my friends that there's still loads of stuff to like in wrestling now if you care but I find it hard to watch every raw & ppv now, ten years ago I couldn't get enough.

Also of note is HBK (another one of my fave five)'s great second run.

Plus my 2 favourite matches of all time - Brock/Taker HIAC & Orton/Foley happened in the first half of the decade.

2006 was just such a mental year, it's great. In that Wrestlemania to Summerslam stretch, there's so much going on. DX got back together, ECW was exhumed from the grave for good, Flair and Foley were fueding, Edge was turned into a main eventer as he and Cena battled for months, Kane was followed around by an impostor Kane and tormented by visions of his new movie bombing and Vince McMahon lost whatever shreds of sanity he had left as he took on GOD in an actual match and was generally humiliated by Shawn Michaels and Triple H for months on end while Jeff Hardy, Johnny Nitro, Carlito and Shelton Benjamin killed themselves for a midcard title.

And that was just Raw! On Smackdown, you had Rey Mysterio living the boyhood dream, King Booker ascending to the throne, Benoit, Regal and Finlay knocking the absolute shit out of each other on a monthly basis, Batista destroying everything that moved, Khali being portrayed as the scariest fucking man alive, the wrestling god JBL retiring and taking his rightful place behind the microphone, Bobby Lashley being a shit-hard motherfucker. London, Kendrick and Gregory Helms effectively battling off the entire Smackdown roster by themselves, Mr. Kennedy stinking up the airwaves and a man who ate worms as a gimmick in the midcard, while Kurt Angle generally moped around being inexplicably angry with his ECW gumshield, RVD became Mr. Tuesday Night and the Big Show became a massive heel shit again.

Apart from December 2 Dismember, every PPV was cracking and the entire product just had an entire air of "What the fuck will happen next?" that just doesn't exist anymore.

• Paid Members

The naughties were a difficult time period for me Wrestling-wise. I was regularly watching the product until the Summer of 2002 or so when I lived at home, that great Hulk Hogan return, teaming with Edge etc.

But going away to Uni that Autumn meant I couldn't really watch the product on a regular period, and when I was, I wasn't really keen. Rightly or wrongly (probably wrongly), I associate everything that happened when Raw had this set as pretty rubbish as all I was thinking at the time was 'this shite is nowhere near the Attitude era'.

I only started watching again on a regular basis (i.e weekly) from the summer of 2009 onwards, and it was great. The angle with HBK desperate to make up for WM28 was among the best i've seen, so well worked.

• Paid Members
the entire product just had an entire air of "What the fuck will happen next?" that just doesn't exist anymore.

It's funny you say that, because at the time I remember a lot of people bitching about the DX stuff, especially the Spirit squad feud, being really predictable and lacking any air of "what the fuck will happen next".

Wasn't it the main event of Cyber Sunday where big show just took a nap at ringside because he was just so shit at the time?

• Paid Members
I also miss the idea of things that could happen. You know? Like "oh, if Bret came back imagine how that would be?" Well thats happened and it wasn't much. Or "Austin and Rock might happen at WrestleMania?" but that's a long gone pipe dream. There was far more options to either bring back old stars to pop the promotion or put on a dream match back then. That's the sort of stuff I miss. Apart from Austin coming back (and thats probably never happened and wont happen this year because he's just had major knee surgery), what else is there to do on that front? Brock came back, Rock came back. They've done almost everything on that front.

Not for me, that's one thing i'm almost quite glad to see the back of. Don't get me wrong i've enjoyed a bunch of those scenarios and the anticipation that came with them. But seeing the end of a reliance on stars of the past to boost things so frequently wouldn't be a bad thing in my book. I want stars to be made so that whomever facing Cena/Undertaker/Triple H is as exciting as the scenarios that involve bringing somebody back.

There was a whole heap of shit in the 2000s but there was plenty of awesome too.

The rise of Edge, actually before he won the WWE title from the heel turn through his MITB win to his WWE title victory he was tremendous, in the form of his career. He had a blistering series with Benoit which spilled over beautifully into the World title scene and produced a great Triple threat between the two and Triple H and then an awesome Elimination Chamber.

WrestleMania 21 was tremendous, one of the best Manias. (23 and 24 were great too)

The rise of Batista

The return of deadman Undertaker

Early Eugene

Early Mickie James

The Elimination Chamber

The Spirit Squad

UMAGA!

Kanes unmasking and subsequent reinvention and being really awesome for a brief period

2005 and early 2006 Raw, just had a great balance of talent all in the right position and produced quality matches on a weekly basis

Rey Mysterios awesome arrival

The birth of the Money in the Bank concept

The rise of Eddie Guerrero

The rise of Jeff Hardy

Just a few great things that came about the noughties.

• Paid Members

Links added for everything I could find:

-Hurricane trying to chokeslam Austin and Triple H at the same time.

(it never amounted to anything but I was thrilled
).

-Hogan vs Angle. (I assume you mean this one but here's another and another)

-Rey Mysterio's feud with Kurt Angle, particularly the SummerSlam 2002 match and the buildup to it.

-Shawn Michaels returning at SummerSlam 2002 - Part 1, part 2, part 3

-Matt Hardy Version 1.0 and his entrance -

-Billy and Chuck and their entrance. - Titantron

-Hollywood Rock and everything he was involved in. - All 3 Rock Concerts (including the Cena one, but ignore that)

-The Foley vs Orton feud. The match: part 1, part 2

Archived