Nostalgic for the 2000s?

Warrior

I've become a bit hooked on watching WWE stuff from 2000 to 2006ish. Watching Wrestlemania XX right now and can't remember enjoying it so much at the time. The fans are cheering Cena, and I'm even enjoying Flair in the Evolution/Rock & Sock match!

With the exception of 2000-01, which is obviously brilliant, what else about this decade do you buzz off?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a fair bit when I think about it but I loved the Kane and Shane O'Mac feud in 2003, Kane looked like a real monster and Shane O'Mac is probably my favourite McMahon anyway as I enjoyed his character in the Corporation and pretty much all of his feuds were great, his one with Angle being another but I must say my favourite Shane feud was his one with Kane.

The Bischoff and Stephanie rivalry was another good one with the Billy and Chuck wedding/ceremony being a brilliant high point in it.

Brock Lesnar's debut and destruction and then culmination in Brock vs Rock at Summerslam.

There's actually a lot I like when I look back at it, but there're just some I can remember at the moment.

There is a fair bit when I think about it but I loved the Kane and Shane O'Mac feud in 2003, Kane looked like a real monster and Shane O'Mac is probably my favourite McMahon anyway as I enjoyed his character in the Corporation and pretty much all of his feuds were great, his one with Angle being another but I must say my favourite Shane feud was his one with Kane.

The Bischoff and Stephanie rivalry was another good one with the Billy and Chuck wedding/ceremony being a brilliant high point in it.

Brock Lesnar's debut and destruction and then culmination in Brock vs Rock at Summerslam.

There's actually a lot I like when I look back at it, but they're just some I can remember at the moment.

I also really enjoyed the Shane vs Kane feud. The only Shane feud I never enjoyed was him vs Orton, but otherwise Shane O'Mac never disappointed me.

Great shout on Billy/Chuck as that was a great segment. Bischoff as a whole was utterly fantastic as Raw GM. A small moment in the 2000's i enjoyed was Jonathon Coachman's heel turn. Came out of nowhere and was quite fun.

One thing I certainly didn't enjoy was them getting rid of the Intercontinental title, that left Raw with only the World Heavyweight Championship and the Womens Championship. Glad it's absence only last 6 months

• Paid Members

I know this is meant to be for thing you liked but 1 thing i really didn't like was Shawn Michaels matches.

Not all of them but from re-watching 02-05 ppv matches i find him so over the top it's just ridiculous.

• Paid Members

I miss Sable, Torrie and the really good wank material they were putting out in the mid-2000s. They had some real cross over level hot birds back then. That was a plus. I miss Hogan popping up every now and again to job out the latest flavour of the month obviously. That was always fun. Bischoff as the GM of Raw was awesome. He has a real unlikable way of going about his character. He was great in the role of GM. I definitely miss to daft characters they would bring up in the mid-2000s. Even if some of them were shit, they at least had a go. Like MNM, Deuce N Domino, The Boogey Man, The World Largest Love Machine, the early Hornswoggle. Even Super Porky was on one or two episodes of Smackdown. I wish they would throw more shit at us in 2012 like they did back them. Character based wrestling has always been their best direction.

I also miss the idea of things that could happen. You know? Like "oh, if Bret came back imagine how that would be?" Well thats happened and it wasn't much. Or "Austin and Rock might happen at WrestleMania?" but that's a long gone pipe dream. There was far more options to either bring back old stars to pop the promotion or put on a dream match back then. That's the sort of stuff I miss. Apart from Austin coming back (and thats probably never happened and wont happen this year because he's just had major knee surgery), what else is there to do on that front? Brock came back, Rock came back. They've done almost everything on that front.

• Paid Members

There's only really Batista out there that could still come back and get people excited. I've pretty much given up on Goldberg now. The return of Bill was one I was really hoping would happen, along with the 'one more Austin match' pipe dream. Looked like something could have been worked out a year or two ago, when Goldberg said he quite fancied one more match as his son had never seen him in action.

As amazing as it is to still be saying this in 2012, a return of Hulk Hogan would be brilliant. Ric Flair would be welcome too.

• Paid Members
Ric Flair would be welcome too.

I really don't want Ric back, as much as I love the guy I can't see having any use outside a manager and I can't see any one he would help without overshadowing them.

• Paid Members

It pains me to say this but I miss a good old chair shot! I realise it will probably never return but now a wrestler will pick up a chair and it just doesn't add any drama to the match as you know where its going.

Evolution and Hollywood Rock. I was gutted when Rock did the Rock Concert this year without the sunglasses and leather jacket combo.

Good shout there, I absolutely loved Evolution. I remember the first Raw that was done over here was in Manchester and I went to it and I couldn't wait to see Orton and Evolution as Orton had broke away from them by then and was feuding with them. I know some fans at the time said they didn't like face Orton after Evolution had turned on him but I thought it was brilliant. The stand out point being when they tried to get him stuck in the cage and beat him up but he managed to escape. The actual turn on him was brilliant too with him ontop of Batista's shoulders and Triple H giving the thumbs up only to slowly reverse them into the thumbs down and Orton's face going from smiles to concern as he realised what was happening, then Batista just dropping him onhis back. Awesome.

• Paid Members
Ric Flair would be welcome too.

I really don't want Ric back, as much as I love the guy I can't see having any use outside a manager and I can't see any one he would help without overshadowing them.

I would love him back in any non-wrestling on-screen role. I don't give a fuck who he overshadows, Batshit mental Flair ranting away is 100% more entertaining than anything you ever get on Raw these days.

Edit: Further to above posts about Evolution, that would be a perfect vehicle for bringing Flair back onto WWE TV. No need for him to be physically active and he could do what he does better than just about anybody in the business- strut around in a suit with a bunch of lads bragging about how good they are.

• Paid Members

Evolution was so enjoyable because the people in it were fitted to it.

Orton and Batista got a nudge from HHH and flair and looked better for it without seeming like lackeys, Flair had some one he could strut about with without it looking daft and give a rub to while entertaining and HHH had some one to fit with during a bit of a transition for him.

It was the right people at the right time.

• Paid Members

Thats a bit misleading. Raw had Goldberg, Michaels, Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Evolution, Bischoff and Austin. Also Kane was pretty awesome at the time. The best performance of 2003 was still Shawn Michaels showing in the 5 on 5 bout at Survivor Series 2003. He was incredible that night.

• Paid Members

The return of Evolution as a super group is one of those rare things Ian was on about that I really want to see. Orton and Batista are bigger stars now and Triple H and Flair are still good to go. Why not one last tour before it's too late, they did it with DX.

Fuck it, nWo v Evolution. Done well, we'd watch that.

As others have alluded to, the biggest thing that I miss about the 00s is the star power they had. Fair enough, the product was rank at times but they always had names you somewhat cared about.

Archived