Nostalgic for the 2000s?

Warrior

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought 2006 was brilliant, it's the most I have enjoyed wrestling on a week to week basis since 2000-2001 because of....

Edge's title win.

Angle winning the WHC in a battle royal out of nowhere.

Angle vs Undertaker at No Way Out.

Edge vs Foley feud.

Cena vs Triple H at Mania.

Rob Van Dam winning MITB.

Vince's feud with God.

DX reunion.

One Night Stand 2.

Cena vs Sabu.

Flair and Foley feud.

Cena vs Edge TLC match.

Rated RKO.

There are probably other things I forgot to mention but the above are the reasons why I remember 2006 fondly.

I thought 2006 was brilliant, it's the most I have enjoyed wrestling on a week to week basis since 2000-2001 because of....

Edge's title win.

Angle winning the WHC in a battle royal out of nowhere.

Angle vs Undertaker at No Way Out.

Edge vs Foley feud.

Cena vs Triple H at Mania.

Rob Van Dam winning MITB.

Vince's feud with God.

DX reunion.

One Night Stand 2.

Cena vs Sabu.

Flair and Foley feud.

Cena vs Edge TLC match.

Rated RKO.

There are probably other things I forgot to mention but the above are the reasons why I remember 2006 fondly.

Finlay is doing a 2006 year in review for KFC, and I'm really looking forward to it because it's the year in particular. Also, worth mentioning King Booker's court and JBL on commentary on SD.

I stopped watching WWE regularly around 05/06 and I still have the idea in my mind that they were bad years. You did have good stuff in 2006 though. I think it was Smackdown that let it down. Wasn't that when you had the Junior Division and Palmer Cannon?

• Paid Members
The return of Evolution as a super group is one of those rare things Ian was on about that I really want to see. Orton and Batista are bigger stars now and Triple H and Flair are still good to go. Why not one last tour before it's too late, they did it with DX.

Fuck it, nWo v Evolution. Done well, we'd watch that.

Too right. Even done badly, we'd all watch the fuck out of it. There's still enough of the guys knocking about to do it pretty effectively too, although the odds of WWE getting Hogan, Nash, Flair and Batista all back on the show at the same time are slim to none. That's one nostalgia angle that I would get mega excited about, though. They would make a fuckload of money on merchandise alone from this. Never going to happen though, is it?

I forgot to include Punk's debut, such a unique way to enter the company at the Hammerstein with the majority of the fans going mental for him. The 'Change the Channel' chants at the same show during Batista vs Big Show were amusing at the time as well.

I wouldn't recall King Booker's reign as Champion a reason to look back fondly at 2006 though, to me it felt like they were trying to flog a dead horse after years of presenting him below the main event. Booker was a good comedy character though but I didn't think he was championship material at the time. Raw and ECW made 2006 for me.

Oh, did the Palmer Cannon thing anything resembling a pay off?

• Paid Members
I wouldn't recall King Booker's reign as Champion a reason to look back fondly at 2006 though, to me it felt like they were trying to flog a dead horse after years of presenting him below the main event.

Yet you classed the abysmal Foley vs Flair feud, ECW starting up again and DX reuniting as something you enjoyed? How is that not flogging a dead horse, but repackaging Booker T is?

i too fell off after 05/06. Only been getting back into things recently. Stuff like The Dicks, The Gymini and the Bashams were killing what i used to like about tag teams wrestling. London and Kendrick helped it a little bit with their reign. But some of the other combos around that time were really bad.

• Paid Members
The return of Evolution as a super group is one of those rare things Ian was on about that I really want to see. Orton and Batista are bigger stars now and Triple H and Flair are still good to go. Why not one last tour before it's too late, they did it with DX.

Too right. Even done badly, we'd all watch the fuck out of it. There's still enough of the guys knocking about to do it pretty effectively too, although the odds of WWE getting Hogan, Nash, Flair and Batista all back on the show at the same time are slim to none. That's one nostalgia angle that I would get mega excited about, though. They would make a fuckload of money on merchandise alone from this. Never going to happen though, is it?

Sadly, never. If ever they were to turn Cena it would be pretty spot on to do it with the nWo. Cena/Hogan/Nash/Show v Triple H/Batista/Flair/Orton, woof!

I wouldn't recall King Booker's reign as Champion a reason to look back fondly at 2006 though, to me it felt like they were trying to flog a dead horse after years of presenting him below the main event.

Yet you classed the abysmal Foley vs Flair feud, ECW starting up again and DX reuniting as something you enjoyed? How is that not flogging a dead horse, but repackaging Booker T is?

ECW was in demand at the time with the high DVD sales for the documentary and Flair and Foley were highly entertaining together and were put to good use against each other. The DX reunion was also fresh as it felt more like two main eventers uniting to take on the Mcmahons rather than harping back to the old days as the two were in their respective primes around this time in my opinion. Booker T however seemed like a guy who had the rug pulled from under his feet when the big stars were around and was just given a turn with the belt because he was competent.

As others have alluded to, the biggest thing that I miss about the 00s is the star power they had. Fair enough, the product was rank at times but they always had names you somewhat cared about.

On the note of stables I so miss the days of stable feuds, back when I first got into wrestling in a big way they had the Ministry, Corporation and the Union all feuding, then it turned to the Corporate Ministry and Union feuding and they also had the feud over the rights to DX. In 2001 the whole Alliance and WWF feud was brilliant, which was stable based on a huge scale, but I'd love to see stables come back into the main storyline, we did have Nexus in recent times which I loved but we need two big stables feuding. nWo vs Evolution would be interesting but I think it'd have to be two new stables, not two old stables rehashed as they'd already have history, creating new stables to create their own history.

I'd love to see a Punk led stable, Wade Barrett was great as a stable leader too, a Miz led stable would be interesting as would an Alberto one, maybe even have AJ gather a group around her to help her out and she could turn more into a darker character who uses her authority and has the group to keep anyone who is trying to stand up to her down. Daniel Bryan would be interesting too in the current crazy character he is presenting.

One stable I've always wanted to see though was a recent UK/Irish one, I'd love to have seen a stable made up of some of the following: Regal, Taylor, Finlay, Sheamus, Drew, Layla, Paige...

A UK/Irish one at the moment could be made up of Sheamus, Drew, Layla and Paige and managed by Regal or Finlay, obviously it doesn't sound great but bring in one or two more top UK/Irish talent and I could see a decent enough stable there, maybe Sheamus would be too big for it as it may possibly be more of a mid card one but he could be like a leader of it and have the others screwing over Sheamus' opponents as he retains the Title, because obviously a UK/Irish stable would be a heel group in WWE.

Paige and Layla could get a lot out of it too with one of them winning the Divas Title and then the other diva being jealous to the point where she turns on the one with the Title and they have a feud for it.

Could even bring back the European Title, altohg now that reminds me a storyline was kinda based on that in WWE 12.

• Paid Members

DX reunion.

Flair and Foley feud.

Flair and Foley were highly entertaining together and were put to good use against each other. The DX reunion was also fresh as it felt more like two main eventers uniting to take on the Mcmahons rather than harping back to the old days as the two were in their respective primes around this time in my opinion. Booker T however seemed like a guy who had the rug pulled from under his feet when the big stars were around and was just given a turn with the belt because he was competent.

Bull shit, Flair Vs Foley was the shits, it was the shits at the time and its the shits watching it back now. With a go nowhere, dull as tripe story and Melina shoe horned in when it made no sense at all just because she gave Foley the horn. It was a rubbish feud badly done. The match at Vengeance 2006 was a fucking disaster.

DX run in 06 produced some of the most cringe-worthy TV I've ever seen, let alone looking specifically at 2006. That bit with HHH and Candice getting sucked off is the worst bit of TV ever made. Worse than Curry and Chips, worse than Up the Elephant and Round the Castle, worse than that lesbian woman making fun of a jockeys teeth, worse than Mae young giving birth to hand, worse than HHH shagging a manikin (because at least that had a point to a feud even if it was god awful). No matter how you look at it that segment was just the worst. DX's run in 2006 was, with the very rare odd exception, far from a wrestling highlight for me because it was dire.

I didn't think much of 2006 DX, but I don't know if looking back I'd like it more, because I absolutely loved 2009-2010 DX. They embraced the lameness of it in 2009 though, which might be the difference-maker.

The stuff from 2000-2004 that I think of most fondly:

-Edge and Christian's big run.

-Crash Holly and the Hardcore title.

-Needy psycho heel Stone Cold.

-Kurt Angle before he went boring shortly after the brand split.

-The first ever Undisputed championship tournament/unification.

-Hurricane trying to chokeslam Austin and Triple H at the same time.

-The announcement of the first draft.

-The NWO coming back to the WWF (it never amounted to anything but I was thrilled when it was announced).

-Kane being pretty ace for most of the time he was around in 2002.

-Edge giving Kurt Angle those photos with the messages on the back.

-Hogan vs Angle.

-Cena's debut.

-Booker T and Goldust.

-Rey Mysterio's feud with Kurt Angle, particularly the SummerSlam 2002 match and the buildup to it.

-Shawn Michaels returning at SummerSlam 2002.

-Matt Hardy Version 1.0 and his entrance.

-Billy and Chuck and their entrance.

-The Los Guerreros skits.

-That time Jericho and Christian argued about getting chokeslammed by Hurricane.

-Hollywood Rock and everything he was involved in.

-The Foley vs Orton feud.

-The rise of Eddie Guerrero.

-JBL wearing a halo after SummerSlam 2004, and the rest of his title reign.

I'll do a 2005-2009 list another time.

Oh, did the Palmer Cannon thing anything resembling a pay off?

No. He quit during a European tour because JBL upset him, I think?

Archived