WWE Summerslam 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

I found myself feeling quite disappointed after watching this last night. Dolph vs Jericho was arguably the match of the night. Miz vs Mysterio was decent but the rest was pretty meh. Hell I even fell asleep during the WWE championship match. Brock vs HHH was alright I guess and the result went the right way. Ironically I enjoyed the match vs Cena at Extreme Rules a lot more but hated the result. This time around I didn't really enjoy the match but loved the result. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice of Piers to get out and about in LA before he's fired (CNN have announced a clear out).

The show itself was dull as fuck although Paul Heyman was brilliant. That's me done till the Rumble unless something actually exciting happens or there is a match that matters.

EDIT. I was a bit harsh - the Jericho Ziggler match was fun. Main event had barely any crowd noise. I couldn't help laughing when HHH was being serenaded with You Tapped Out. Hunter - as you keep telling the rookies it's YOUR fault if you don't get over.

Only managed to watch Lesnar vs Triple H so far. Really enjoyed it. This type of match is about as good as it gets outside the Royal Rumble - Wrestlemania period. It wasn't a classic by any means but it had that 'big fight' feel to it, which I love. With that ending it has definitely set up a rematch down the line which I can't wait to see.

Edit - Paul Heyman is fantastic. One of my favourite wrestling characters ever.

It's pretty bad when the best thing on the whole PPV was a guy walking to the back after a match, everything else was just so sterile for lack of a better word. The main problem was the set up beforehand, i didn't feel like i should give a shit about any of the matches as it was just a bunch of by the numbers fueds, sad seeing as Summerslam is meant to be such a big deal.

Only had time to watch the main event, it delivered big time, for me. Really smartly worked. HHH's selling of the arm was great throughout, I liked that all the time spent working over a body-part actually paid off at the end for once. Loved HHH discovering Brock's main weakness through the desperation throw into the table, then pouncing on it, the repeated knees to the stomach looked vicious. Having HHH tap out to the Kimura does more for the hold than any amount of HBK floor-dancing could. They've got a legitimate match-ending finisher on their hands now. While Cena/Lesnar showed their cards a bit too early, I definitely think there's more to come from Brock/HHH. I'd like to see HHH get his win back in a street fight down the road. Doing it at WM would suit me fine.

Not up to the level of Taker/HHH or Cena/Lesnar, but it's comfortably in my top five matches of the year.

I thought it had consistently great psychology throughout it. I fear it may be this that people didnt like. I dont mind a methodical match at all, I would rather see it more than an overly spotty match. I dont know if people are more tuned in to that type of thing nowadays rather than what Hunter and Brock put on but I really enjoyed the main event and thought plenty of other matches were decent to good. I havent followed the build up so went in with no expectations but was pleasantly surprised by the show.

• Paid Members

I quite enjoyed Brock vs Triple H as well. It felt like an old school match to me which I liked. I like that they're getting the kimura over as a second finisher for Brock as well. I think they will do a rematch later this year and probably with a violent stipulation to end the feud. Street Fight or Cage match maybe.

I thought Jericho vs Ziggler and Rey vs Miz were both fun matches as well. Decent enough show all in all I thought. Wish Piers Morgan would have got accidentally smacked in the face by a stray Brock punch somehow.

I enjoyed the main event and am looking forward to rewatching it later but I have zero interest in seeing this feud continue. If they only have Brock for the year, having so much time dedicated to the hardly ever wrestles, old HHH seems like a mistake.

I enjoyed the Lesnar/HHH match a lot more on a second viewing today. I think I had let my expectations get a little high on the night and was expecting something a bit more batshit-crazy like the match with Cena at Extreme Rules. It was a hard-fought and logical match (except for that weird bit where Brock tried a small package, but that just seemed like he'd forgotten the plot for a second) with the correct finish. Finish was great actually.

The crowd did seem a little quiet and I think that might have just been that they were expecting a different type of match (as I was). For anyone who wasn't watching Lesnar back in the day, they only have the Cena match to judge him on and in that match he was a crazed psycho, licking Cena's blood and taking some mad risks. I think it just took a little longer for the match to find it's place and the fans to get into it. As has been said, Heyman added a lot to the whole thing too.

Was an Ok card overall. The Three Way Title Match had a great finish which made sense, and Punk rubbing it in like a twat was good. Weird dynamic though, as Punk was the clear Face for these fans, despite being a sneaky bastard at the end.

I was hoping for a cash-in from Ziggler to liven up the 1000th ADR/Sheamus match. Boo-urns.

I enjoyed the main event and am looking forward to rewatching it later but I have zero interest in seeing this feud continue. If they only have Brock for the year, having so much time dedicated to the hardly ever wrestles, old HHH seems like a mistake.

It seemed like a definitive end to me, I dont see how or why it would continue.

It seemed like a definitive end to me, I dont see how or why it would continue.

I see it as the natural set up to Lesnar vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania.

"I destroyed 2 men you barely survived old man"

• Paid Members

I would have given the show 3 stars out of 5 but then Michael Cole used the phrase "butt kicker" to describe Brock Lesnar, that deserves at least a 1 star deduction.

Jericho v Ziggler was hands down the best match of the night, sad that was the end of their feud as I really enjoyed it. Hope Ziggler takes the belt off of Sheamus soon.

Flat show. Going into it, I didn't care much about it, bar Jericho vs. Ziggler and Triple H vs. Lesnar. Jericho vs. Ziggler delivered, Triple H vs. Lesnar was boring, the triple threat was passable, and the rest was forgettable.

Paul Heyman, though, as others have said, is great.

• Paid Members

I haven't watched the PPV yet, but I'm still reeling from the fact I had mates that thought Lesnar was going to lose. Also the booking of Ziggler to lose to Jericho, who really doesn't need a big win right now, is really odd. Ziggler to win the big gold belt real soon then.

And real random nitpick, but I just can't help it....

Mixed feelings about this PPV, nothing was lousy, some of it was really enjoyable but most of it was average, which is a real shame for SummerSlams 25th anniversary.

NO. It was the 25th SummerSlam or the 24th anniversary. An anniversary is what you celebrate in the subsequent years after the inaugural event. As in wedding anniversary. The 25th anniversary is next year, 25 years after the first. WWE made the same mistake with WrestleMania XXV, but just because they're idiots doesn't mean we have to be.

Archived