WWE Summerslam 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watching the WWE title match with the weird double submission finish.

Punk w/ the Koji-Clutch then Cena comes with a no-pressure STF, what the fuck! he has his hands on the top of Show's head!

And oh joy, he comes AJ.

Is one side of AJ's head heavier than the other?

HHH vs. Brock was good. Not MOTY or anything, but they battered shite out of each other, so I'm happy. I mean, I wanted HBK being paralysed and Steph getting F-5d in chaos, but I'm satisfied with that. Everything else was good, but left me cold. Most exciting thing up until HHH/Lesnar was Matthews' bump.

• Paid Members

Mixed feelings about this PPV, nothing was lousy, some of it was really enjoyable but most of it was average, which is a real shame for SummerSlams 25th anniversary.

The Jericho/Ziggler bout was great. I enjoyed the match but there's been something about this little feud that has just worked for me. That's what I like about Wrestling, sometimes two performers just go together like a house on fire. Jericho has been entertaining since his return (in a really understated way) and it speaks volumes about him that he can simply show up as a face and for people to really get behind him. Match of the night for me.

The Main Event was a tragic letdown. It's probably because Lesnars match with Cena brought the house down, it was something completely different and last nights match just seemed more of the same. Very disappointing.

Decent triple threat, Punk retaining is probably the most interesting possible outcome going forward.

Bryan/Kane was good, nice to see Bryan pick up the win. Still the best thing on TV atm.

The rest didn't really do anything for me. I thought they were going to completely ignore Arquette sitting there like a plank, which would have been amusing. AJs part just now could be played by a Cuckoo clock, she just pops up twice a night to announce the matches. Glad that the Divas never got an outing, right off that division just now and Kaitlin isn't attractive in the slightest, just saying.

Unless they've got something big up their sleeves I can see the next month being fairly turgid.

Thought it was a pretty good show, most people's opinions of it were soured due to the main event I feel. I think some may have expected a brutal spectacle like Lesnar vs Cena was, and thus anything else was shite. I think it still lived up to the billing of being a "fight", even as Lesnar's moveset has gone towards a pro wrestling/MMA hybrid. The constant kimura attacks were great at showing Lesnar as being a sadistic bastard, and it was logical. In brawls leading up to this, Brock's locked up the kimura in seconds to dispose of people. Why would he start fucking around and slowly work HHH down?

It was a great dramatic display in my opinion. Brock tried to exploit HHH's weakness until a weakness of his own was uncovered. I'm slightly surprised that WWE has used the "stomach issues" card as it may weaken the monster aura for the future. That said, the real life aspect had me wincing at a few of those knees, remembering the Overeem fight.

I think the end was purely designed to take the shine off Brock and place it on Hunter. When Cole said, "You've gotta wonder if we've seen the last of HHH", that thought hadn't previously crossed my mind for a moment. Just was an odd end to a very good night containing some other odd moments.

Rest of the show:

The first hour, comprised of Ziggler/Jericho, Bryan/Kane and Rey/Miz was faultless. Three really well wrestled matches, with great athleticism and convincing near falls. Vickie is starting to look quite attractive, glad to see Lawler has finally laid off the fat jokes. Kane is still moving surprisingly well for a big man who I think is about 45 now. The differences between him and Taker/Show are night and day. And hopefully the clean PPV victory helps convince paranoid fans that Miz isn't just getting buried. Nice symbolism of bringing back the inflatable AWESOME! from WM27, which technically has to be the biggest career moment of the Miz.

I thought Del Rio vs Sheamus was a hard hitting, technically sound match. Del Rio's top rope armbreaker was a thing of beauty, and Sheamus seemed seriously over with the LA crowd, which helped the match atmosphere a lot. Unfortunately, the finish was odd moment no. 1. Normally, the face/heel roles are reversed in that kind of scenario, and Sheamus kind of came across prickish by realising it and happily taking the victory. Also, where the hell was Booker T, or another referee to inform the ref and restart the match?

The tag title match was okay, nothing special. Coolest thing for me was seeing Kofi and Truth have matching outfit designs. At least they masquerade as a real tag team.

Cena/Show/Punk was my disappointment of the night. I know I'm not an agent, but I'd think the most engaging option would be to have Show briefly dominant with power moves before getting laid out for an extended time in a big spot. It's a tested formula that has worked in the past. Having Show mostly dominate the whole match before a brief comeback at the end didn't really hold my interest. Another odd finish as well, although I didn't have as much issue with this due to AJ addressing the logic hole. My real odd moment no. 2 was the match layout.

Odd moment no. 3 was having Kevin Rudolf do a shitty live performance instead of Rhodes/Cara or Sandow/Clay. I like Rudolf's music, but he didn't sound great here, first line and I left the room to submit my uni assignment.

• Paid Members

Stingersplash has gotta be one of his mates logging in to do a parody of him. I can't believe anyone would actually think "truthishly" is a word.

Ziggler/Jericho was tons of fun, Bryan/Kane and the triple threat were good, main event had its moments but fizzled out a bit. Heyman was ace, as ever. For me, though, the clear highlight was David Arquette turning up WITH A WCW CHAMPIONSHIP BELT. That's a win.

Thought it was a pretty good show. Nothing mindblowing but nothing terrible either, which has been the trend for WWE PPV's recently.

Jericho/Ziggler was MOTN, really enjoyed that. After Jericho's win, I was sort of hoping that they'd have Ziggler cash in later in the night, leading to a Ziggler/Jericho rematch at the next PPV ala Bret/Owen because I'm sick to death of the Sheamus/Del Rio feud. They put on decent matches and they did again tonight but they've basically been feuding on and off since fucking April.

The WWE Title match was good, although I didn't care for the false finish. It just interrupts the flow of everything. I guess we're gonna get Punk vs Cena at at the next PPV, which is something I am looking forward to seeing again.

Lesnar/HHH was enjoyable and had a big match feel to it, which very few can create in WWE anymore. It wasn't a patch on Lesnar/Cena but it served its purpose. I didn't expect Lesnar to win but another loss would have killed any aura he has and HHH made him look like a beast. Not a clue what is next for Trips, there's absolutely nothing left for him to do. Not expecting him to face Lesnar again. I reckon the HBK/HHH stuff is gonna lead to Undertaker getting revenge on Lesnar for them.

• Paid Members

Only had time to watch the main event, it delivered big time, for me. Really smartly worked. HHH's selling of the arm was great throughout, I liked that all the time spent working over a body-part actually paid off at the end for once. Loved HHH discovering Brock's main weakness through the desperation throw into the table, then pouncing on it, the repeated knees to the stomach looked vicious. Having HHH tap out to the Kimura does more for the hold than any amount of HBK floor-dancing could. They've got a legitimate match-ending finisher on their hands now. While Cena/Lesnar showed their cards a bit too early, I definitely think there's more to come from Brock/HHH. I'd like to see HHH get his win back in a street fight down the road. Doing it at WM would suit me fine.

Not up to the level of Taker/HHH or Cena/Lesnar, but it's comfortably in my top five matches of the year.

I didn't notice Piers once. Not once.

It upsets me that they didn't use him in an angle. Piers is great value.

They literally introduced him with his name on the screen, along with the other celebrities. You must have left the room or something for that minute.

He's posted numerous photos on his Twitter, from his seat directly behind the announcers:

A0tT6s8CYAAVs2Z.jpg

A0tVUSUCEAA9qTw.jpg

A0tiDZmCcAA3zKW.jpg

I enjoyed the show thought all the matches where good. I really like Jericho as a face should of been a face since he come back, also thought Miz has stepped his game up since doing the Marine looked like he has worked on his Physique and changing his moveset is a good move for him. Enjoyed the main event but put me in the camp that was expecting more as people have said cos of the way it has been presented and the fact hhh family was brought in to it. But that doesnt mean it wasnt a good match. Looking forward to Raw tonight

Archived