WWE Summerslam 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

Might be added, could be Smackdown spoliers, so I've put in tags

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Expect Sin Cara vs. Cody Rhodes to be added to the WWE SummerSlam card on Sunday. As noted before, Damien Sandow vs. Brodus Clay is also penciled in.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rey vs Miz, Ziggler vs Jericho, Bryan vs Kane, Truth and Kofi vs Prime Time Players makes a cracking undercard on paper. Headlined by Cena vs Punk vs Show, where Cena and Punk have great chemistry and Show works fantastic in triple threats for big spots, and HHH vs Lesnar, which is an epic battle higher than Rock vs Cena for me- because I've been a huge Lesnar mark since '02.

In all honesty though. I'd love to see someone logically critique the card and have a negative view of it.

• Paid Members

Most of the matches have been done before on TV and don't have much appeal to anyone other than people who buy every PPV. Hardly any match has any momentum going into it. Its just a bunch of blokes wrestling each other. In that sense its a one match card, and thats Triple H and Brock Lesnar. It will be a good PPV, but its not must see. Especially now Raw has longer matches on it, you can see this sort of action on Monday nights. Extreme Rules has been the best PPV so far this year, and I cant see that changing. Kane isn't going to do Daniel Bryan any favours, because Kane is quite rotten these days. Orton vs Bryan would have been worth seeing.

I actually expect Sin Cara and Cody to have a really good match. I think Cody's the right man to work with him.

EDIT: If the Sin Cara match is official of course. I thought it had been announced.

• Paid Members

Ian hits the nail on the head. There's no debating the undercard has the potential to produce some very good matches but it doesn't mean people aren't going to be pissed by how it has been booked. Kane vs Bryan, Rey vs Miz, Sin Cara vs Rhodes, PTP vs Truth & Kofi, Sandow vs Clay, between the lot of those you'd be lucky to find 5 mins of footage of any sort of build. Yes, they look good on paper but are you really all that bothered by the outcome of them? We're used to seeing this type of lacklustre booking for WWE's smaller PPVs, it's just really unfortunate that their 2nd biggest PPV has been thrown together the same way. Still, I'm paying for it because I reckon HHH vs Lesnar will be a belter and I'm sure I'll enjoy the undercard whilst I'm waiting.

I think Ian's bang on. There's nothing wrong with the card on paper, but there's nothing there that has any emotional investment for me. I have no doubt in my mind that it will be an enjoyable night, with a load of good matches, simply because WWE have hit a rhythm where every PPV is good, but generally mean nothing in the grand scheme of things (which they have been doing every time from last year actually).The problem is they have done absolutely nothing, outside of the pretty underwhelming HHH-Lesnar build, to earn our money, and that's not really something we should ever be saying about the second biggest PPV of the year.

• Paid Members

I'm not happy that they've thrown the last two weeks of the Lesnar/HHH build under the bus so they could put the focus on Shawn Michaels, yet again, but I'm 95% certain that the match itself will be fucking awesome, so I'm looking forward to it, in spite of the awful build.

• Paid Members

My brother in law has ordered this for my nephew and I'm not in work until late on Monday so I'm going over to watch it for free. To be honest the days of paying for wrestling are over for me. There's too many other ways to watch and I'm not arsed enough about this to fork out.

Lesnar vs Triple H is where my interest is in this but I expect the triple threat to be good. Cena, Punk and Big Show should be able to put something enjoyable together. Rey vs Miz could be decent and I really like what I've seen of Daniel Bryan in WWE so far. I was a bit surprised just how over he is these days, I hadn't seen him since the ROH days.

Most of the matches have been done before on TV and don't have much appeal to anyone other than people who buy every PPV. Hardly any match has any momentum going into it. Its just a bunch of blokes wrestling each other. In that sense its a one match card, and thats Triple H and Brock Lesnar. It will be a good PPV, but its not must see. Especially now Raw has longer matches on it, you can see this sort of action on Monday nights. Extreme Rules has been the best PPV so far this year, and I cant see that changing. Kane isn't going to do Daniel Bryan any favours, because Kane is quite rotten these days. Orton vs Bryan would have been worth seeing.

I actually expect Sin Cara and Cody to have a really good match. I think Cody's the right man to work with him.

EDIT: If the Sin Cara match is official of course. I thought it had been announced.

On a personal level, I'm probably lucky in the sense that I don't watch every minute of WWE programming anymore, so to me the matches are all fresh (besides Rey vs Miz, which I think I saw on a Raw last year for the interim WWE title or whatever). As for Raw showing better longer matches, it seems that while we've had a couple of good longer matches (Sheamus vs Bryan and Ziggler/Miz/Y2J), most of the extra time is used on elongating segments and more ads. In regards to Kane, he's still capable of a good performance when he's motivated for it, his match with Orton at Mania was the pleasent surprise of the evening. I agree that Orton vs Bryan would have been much better, but Orton's gotta serve his extra punishment after the suspension by missing that Summerslam payday unfortunately.

So yeah, I think the final product of the PPV will be the thing people remember ultimately, even if the buildup for the overall card hasn't been great, it could be must see if executed correctly. Personally I think the build and payoff for HHH/Lesnar makes it must see on its own, but to each his own. I think it'll do better than most recent WWE PPVs buyrate and performance wise.

• Paid Members
It's not the second biggest show of the year anymore. It hasn't been for years.

Fair enough, Royal Rumble might get more in terms of PPV money in recent years but I'd say that's predominately people paying solely to see the actual Royal Rumble. In terms of "regular" PPVs, surely to WWE and fans alike Summer Slam is still considered number 2. WWE shouldn't expect fans to buy in to 3 months of Wrestlemania and it's build-up and then expect us to stick with it for another 9 months of shite booking? With a little bit of work, using the same card, they could have built this in to a very interesting PPV, they've missed the bus and are selling it on one match. First, second or twelfth biggest show of the year, they've shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Archived