The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You just know that would've been Fedor vs Kimbo if Kimbo was still with us :(

Now I'm dreading the possibility of fucking Meathead beating Fedor. And the sad thing is I could see it happening. I've never rated Mitrione too much but he'll be a lot bigger than Fedor, he's younger and he's got power. And Fedor's never been known for having a good defence. Bad feeling about it.

Bellator's heavyweight division doesn't really have one fight I'm into where Fedor's concerned. I'd rather see him fight some of the 205ers they've got like Rampage, Sonnen and even Tito. I think a Fedor vs Chael fight could be big for Bellator, even though Fedor's way past his prime and Chael's schtick has gotten old. It could still be fun and it's a fight I could see going either way. I'm sure Chael would meet Fedor at a catchweight or something, if Fedor doesn't fancy cutting to 205.

Rizin is the place for Fedor in 2016. The Cro Cop rematch is there. There'd still be interest in a Pride dream match against Wanderlei Silva as well. And they can always feed him Akebono for a laugh.

Meatheads only two years younger than Fedor. I think it's a pretty fair match up. If Fedor can't beat Meathead, then he really shouldn't be back doing this.

I can see Mitrione winning for some reason, though. The fact that he's been competing at the top level until recently, and fedor had so many years in the wilderness.

I'm never watching MMA again if Meathead knocks out fucking Fedor.

• Paid Members

Only 2 years? For some reason I thought there was more of a gap than that.

Yeah, I wasn't saying the fight was unfair. But who's fucking interested in Meathead as an opponent for Fedor? Fedor's at the stage in his career where he should be fighting other names or sitting at home eating ice cream in his jim jams and comfy slippers. When there's the likes of Cro Cop, Wandy, Sonnen, Rampage and Tito knocking about...why Matt bastard Meathead? The sand timer's running out on Fedor's in ring career, and it just seems like a waste of one of his last fights.

I get it from Bellator's POV. For them either Fedor wins and they can promote a bigger fight for him. Or Mitrione wins and they can try to use that to boost him and inject some kind of life into their shitty heavyweight division. But I don't know why Fedor would go for it. It does nothing for him really and even if people say 'well the payday', surely Fedor vs any of the names I listed brings him more coin than the bloke whose cheese fell off its cracker?

Strange one.

• Paid Members

Just goes to show what signing with Bellator can get you, you can't fault guys for moving over.

Mitrione was a fringe top 10 fighter, probably past his best, now he goes to Bellator probably gets paid more, lands a dream fight with Fedor on national tv, cleaning up on sponsorship, is commentating for Bellator kickboxing (and did a very good job of it) and likely lands a World Title shot in 2016. You can't fault fighters for making the move.

• Paid Members

Bisping on wanting to fight at UFC 206...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=eYip1iSLG3Y

I particularly loved this bit on potential fights with GSP or Nick Diaz;

"These are two of the best fighters in the world. But I will fight them right now. I've just had a fucking cookie, I've been on the piss for two weeks, I don't care I'll fight them...get me another cookie, get me a round of beers, give me two more weeks of sitting on my arse and I'll still fight at UFC 206. Against either of them."

Bisping's been on fire this year. I know is blasphemy around here but I actually think he's been the best interview in MMA this year on a consistent basis, and that's including McGregor. Bisping's been quality. I love McGregor but the 'I'm loaded, you're broke' thing has kind of become his thing and it's getting a bit tiresome for me. Of course, when he's got something to work with he's gold, like the first Nate Diaz fight (gang signs and animal balloons etc). But for me, Bisping's been the man of 2016. In the cage and on the mic. I never thought I'd be saying that this time last year. In fact, I'd more likely have predicted Bisping retiring after getting his head kicked in by Anderson Silva rather than the fairytale year he's actually had.

Anyway, what's the UKFF feeling on Bisping fighting someone else (other than a genuine top 185 contender) at UFC 206? I doubt the GSP fight is on the table now but I'm sure the Diaz fight can be sorted. I know after already facing geriatric Hendo in his first title defence, a lot of people are going to complain about Bisping possibly fighting a welterweight who hasn't fought in nearly two years. I understand that. But fuck it. I'd be well on board with Bisping vs Diaz in Toronto. And for shit's sake 206 needs something like that!

The way I look at it, we've got that mini tournament going on at middleweight currently, haven't we?

Weidman vs Romero - November 12th

Rockhold vs Jacare 2 - November 27th

And I guess you can even chuck in Mousasi vs Hall 2 (Nov 19th) if you like. In the event the winner of that four man tournament gets injured, pops for PEDs, gets abducted by aliens or whatever.

So one way or another, November is going to sort out definitively who the true #1 contender at middleweight is. Bisping's on about fighting at UFC 206 on December 10th, so just a few weeks after all these contender fights.

So to me, Bisping vs Diaz at 206 would be a bonus. And it shouldn't really effect when the winner of the little 185 tournament gets their shot anyway. Timing could work out nicely for Bisping to defend against whoever that is in the first quarter of next year.

It wouldn't have to be a title fight. I would be up for it. I think it's a good style match-up for Diaz.

GSP sent out a video the other day where he addressed the Bisping fight. He said that he would take the fight, but his conflict with the UFC won't allow it. 

• Paid Members

The thing is, it's not even an either/or situation. With all the top contenders fighting in November, whoever comes out of that as #1 contender wouldn't be getting their title shot until probably February or March at the earliest anyway. Doing Bisping vs Diaz in December doesn't block that. So we still get the middleweight situation come to its natural and correct conclusion but we could get Bisping vs Diaz thrown in as a little bonus.

Like Jim says, Bisping vs Diaz doesn't even have to be for the title. A fight between those two doesn't necessarily need a title to spice it up anyway.

It wouldn't have to be a title fight. I would be up for it. I think it's a good style match-up for Diaz.

Theoretically Bisping could put the title on the shelf until October of next year if he wanted, as other champions have taken a year from defending the title.

That would allow him the time to get some money fights in before Rockhold, Weidman or Jacare fuck him up most likely.

• Paid Members

Speaking of titles being on ice, featherweights a right bloody mess now isn't it? I can't see McGregor going back down and Aldo's saying he wants out of his UFC contract. Edgar just got completely shut down by Aldo. Mendes' chin looks like it might be going all Bigfoot on him.

Hopefully it works out because 145 was quickly on its way to becoming the deepest and most exciting division in the UFC. But now everything's so uncertain and up in the air. You've got Pettis in the mix now which is a boost and Holloway has been a favourite of mine for ages. Their upcoming fight should be great. But man 145 is in a shambles at the moment.

Archived