The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

Anyway, I love the fight. Garbrandt's the most interesting contender at 135 and it makes sense to strike while the iron's hot like Chunk said. Better to do it now before Garbrandt suffers a momentum-killing loss, and if he does lose to Cruz, it's easily chalked up to inexperience and he'll get a chance after some more seasoning. Actually, Garbrandt potentially losing to Cruz would be somewhat reminiscent of Cruz's loss to Faber years back.

yep, it's the fight i wanted. TJ Dillashaw has the right to be pissed, but if they wanted to go with momentum, buzz and think of it from a promotional standpoint Garbrandt was the one to go with. If Garbrandt somehow defears Cruz you then get Garbrandt/Dillashaw which ties back into the Alpha Male feud. Pretty sure Garbrandt was one of the most outspoken about that whole mess. Dillashaw needs to go out and cement that next shot in the meantime though, Dillashaw/Lineker sounds good to me.

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Ultimate Fighter doesn't really have a place in today's UFC. The format was run it's course and been overtaken by the growth of UFC and MMA in general.

It was fine back in 2005-2010, when UFC didn't have a live 6hr event on every other weekend and the chance to see MMA fights on TV was a novelty.

Plus, there was the feeling that there was all this unknown worthy talent out there fighting for a rare chance to join UFC. It was a way of introducing new names and making new stars (and it was the reality TV elements as much as the actual fights that did that job). Now, UFC has that many events and that many hours to fill that chances are any half-decent fighter is going to be picked up by UFC anyway if they put a decent little run together on local shows.

With TUF now, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be interested in watching even more fights than I already am, featuring guys who aren't even seen to be good enough to be already filling out Fight Pass prelims...

• Paid Members

I'm sure there are still things that can be done with TUF, playing with the format and whatnot. I really liked that idea that Luke Rockhold supposedly suggested to Dana that got shot down, i.e. that the UFC build up Rockhold vs. Weidman with a New York vs. California middleweights season.

They've used plenty of gimmicks in the last few years, so unless they do a celebrity one it won't matter, FS1 are happy with the ratings, as they have nothing they can put in it's place that does better ratings (besides right now with MLB Playoffs and they only happen for a few weeks a year.)

• Paid Members

Yeah, TUF is as dead as a stamp collector's sex life these days. I'd genuinely rather rewatch old TUFs than watch the new ones at this point.

Even that NY vs Cali idea Rockhold suggested, yeah it sounds alright on paper. But once the show started you'd soon forget that. It's not enough of a thing to carry a season, is it? I do actually think Rockhold could be a good fit as TUF coach, in the same way Frank Mir was, because he's a prick who it's so easy to root against. But I wouldn't be all that arsed about Weidman opposing him. And I like Weidman. He just doesn't do much for me as a TUF coach.

If we must persist with TUF and Rockhold ends up coaching then I'd rather see a Team Bisping vs Team Rockhold season, leading into their rubber match. Yeah Bisping's been on TUF loads but that's because he's fucking perfect for it. And him and Rockhold could be a real throwback to glory days of TUF coach rivalries IMO.

There's not much that I would get giddy about where TUFs concerned anymore. Conor McGregor and Joanna Jedrzejczyk are legit two of my favourite fighters by far right now and I barely even took notice when they coached TUF over the last year. Outside of a Nick Diaz coaching opposite McGregor or Bisping, or a Rousey vs Cyborg season, I'm pretty much completely done with TUF. I loved it dearly once upon a time, then we grew apart, it was difficult but now I'm over it and ready to move on.

In defence of TUF, my 58 year-old mum - who doesn't watch any sports otherwise - watches every episode and maintains an ongoing interest in fighters she recognises from the house. She would have paid for a PPV in the hopes of seeing Claudia beat JJ, she hated Joanna so much; and she still roots against Ronda to this day. But put her in front of the TV of two fighters who have never even been near the show - even if they're GOAT contenders - and she'll likely be fiddling around on the iPad rather than watching attentively.

Unless you live in a world where every UFC fighter has the ability to build a character like McGregor did, TUF has a hook for casual viewers that's hard to replicate.

• Paid Members

Faber has announced his fight with Brad Pickett will be his last, capping off a heck of a career.

Yeah, a bit like Hendo really, the only thing that eluded him in his career was that UFC title. He had a great run though. A real pioneer for the lighter weight classes and he was THE poster boy for WEC for years. It's a shame some of those dream fights escaped him over the years. Fights with BJ Penn, KID Yamamoto and Miguel Torres around the mid-late 2000s would've been tremendous.

Fitting that he's going out in Sacramento. And I honestly think he crushes Pickett so he's likely going out on a win as well. I like when fighters announce their last fight like this. I hope we see more of that rather than guys clinging on for that 'one more run' which always ends badly. Hendo's retirement was a cool moment (although I don't think it's going to stick). Chris Lytle bowed out in a similar way as well in 2011, when he announced his fight with Dan Hardy would be his last. I think Faber's going to be one of those ones that sticks to it. I was half expecting him to retire in the cage when he lost the trilogy to Cruz, to be honest. You just knew at that point that that was his last shot at the gold.

37 is a good innings for a lighter weight class fighter though. He's been at high level for a long time. It's only been the last couple of years I've thought he's kind of lost a step but it's not like he's a shell of himself or embarrassing himself or anything. It's refreshing to see a fighter recognise he's slowing down and being honest enough with himself to hang the gloves up before he gets to Bigfoot stage.

I know they usually only show the entrances for the main event on the FOX shows but I hope they make an exception and air Faber's final walkout for this fight. It's going to be some moment when 'California Love' hits for the last time in Sacramento.

• Paid Members

I'm shocked, to be honest. As wand rightly typed, Faber seems to have lost a bit of something, or the competition is better, but he's still one of the top fighters in the lighter weight classes. This is no Bigfoot-style decline here. I think he's maybe realised his days of becoming UFC world champion are over, or is such work that he feels he can't commit to it.

Fair play to him. Not often you see a fighter get out when they're still as good as Faber, particularly with money still on the table.

• Paid Members

Gunnar Nelson is injured and out of his fight with Hall. Mousasi steps in to replace him in the main event for Fight Night Belfast

Not to be a dick but I think that news was broken a few days ago. I like both Nelson Vs Hall and Mousasi Vs Hall to be honest. There's nobody higher ranked for Mousasi to really fight and he wants to keep busy. Hall makes sense because it gives him chance to avenge a recent (freak!?) loss.

Gunnar Nelson is injured and out of his fight with Hall. Mousasi steps in to replace him in the main event for Fight Night Belfast

Not to be a dick but I think that news was broken a few days ago. I like both Nelson Vs Hall and Mousasi Vs Hall to be honest. There's nobody higher ranked for Mousasi to really fight and he wants to keep busy. Hall makes sense because it gives him chance to avenge a recent (freak!?) loss.

Was it? It must have passed me by I just saw the Ufc advertising it on Facebook this morning. There were quite a few people complaining in the comments saying he should be fighting a higher ranked fighter but like you said he wants to keep busy and everyone else is tied up, Mousasi even mentioned fighting Hall again after his last fight so hopefully he can avenge that loss

Archived