The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The likes of Mayweather and Khan look at a cross over super fight with Connor and see money signs, can't blame them.

I'd love to see Khan take this seriously though and switch to MMA full time for the remainder of his fighting career, I think the interest would be pretty big.

The likes of Mayweather and Khan look at a cross over super fight with Connor and see money signs, can't blame them.

I'd love to see Khan take this seriously though and switch to MMA full time for the remainder of his fighting career, I think the interest would be pretty big.

The interest would be big, but he's not a mixed martial artist, he's a boxer. He'd come undone very easily against even the lowest tier guys who have some experience of wrestling and the ground game.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I doubt Khan's ever making the jump. And if he did he'd get fucked up because he'd come with a pretty big price tag so they'd probably be putting him straight in the deep end. They wouldn't risk throwing him in with the 20th ranked guy as a 'warm up' because let's be honest Mr #20 might well take him down and strangle him in 2 minutes.

Khan would be around featherweight in the UFC, wouldn't he? Just imagine him taking leg kicks off Jose Aldo. Or the utter misery a wrestler like Frankie Edgar would bring to him. Or a slick submission artist like Max Holloway. He'd get schooled. It's not like heavyweight where a roidmonster like Brock Lesnar can get by on pretty much just wrestling and the absolute basics of BJJ. You can get away with that to a certain point in that division because a lot of the fighters outside the top 5 are one dimensional. But featherweight is a fucking shark tank and near enough everyone in that division is well rounded.

Khan's always had an inflated ego when it comes to MMA. He come across as a nice enough guy, but he doesn't always engage his brain before speaking. In 2006, he was a guest at an MMA show in Manchester - the one where Tyson was ref and ignored the submission, and where there was a brawl outside of the arena.

In the middle of the broadcast they asked Khan about how he'd do inside the cage. Now, I wouldn't expect him to say "I'd get battered". I think the smartest and most accurate answer would be based in diplomacy. Instead, he sneered something like "I'd knock them out" While MMA's talent pool in 2006 isn't what it is today, it would still give Khan fits. Din Thomas was on that card, and I have no doubt he'd beat Khan with relative ease in an MMA bout. 

• Paid Members

In the middle of the broadcast they asked Khan about how he'd do inside the cage. Now, I wouldn't expect him to say "I'd get battered". I think the smartest and most accurate answer would be based in diplomacy. Instead, he sneered something like "I'd knock them out" While MMA's talent pool in 2006 isn't what it is today, it would still give Khan fits. Din Thomas was on that card, and I have no doubt he'd beat Khan with relative ease in an MMA bout.

to be fair, Khan said with a tongue in cheek grin on his face from what i remember. Khan knows the score, he's a fan of the sport.

• Paid Members

Edgar v Khan could be a great way to build Edgar back after losing to Aldo at 200

Irrespective of what Mike said about whether Edgar needs to be built back up, beating Khan would do absolutely fuck all for Edgar. He would be expected to beat Khan handily. Just look at Couture beating Toney, the outcome was never in doubt so it was just a formality. 

to be fair, Khan said with a tongue in cheek grin on his face from what i remember. Khan knows the score, he's a fan of the sport.

I seem to remember him being deadly serious. No hint of a smile.

My memory could be playing tricks of course. 

• Paid Members

Edgar v Khan could be a great way to build Edgar back after losing to Aldo at 200

Irrespective of what Mike said about whether Edgar needs to be built back up, beating Khan would do absolutely fuck all for Edgar. He would be expected to beat Khan handily. Just look at Couture beating Toney, the outcome was never in doubt so it was just a formality. 

Depends on the rules, surely. But yeah, if MMA rules, then anything but an Edgar white-wash would be a huge upset.

Archived