John Cena's 50 Greatest matches

The Natural

• Paid Members

One thing I like about the list is that it has Cena vs Undertaker from Orlando in 2004 in the top twenty. It's nice to see it recognised, as it never gets brought up (aside from when I do). I was there for it live and it was the first time I ever saw Cena as being a top guy. He put on a cracking babyface performance, and had the majority of the crowd on his side. How many other guys have been able to say that during matches with Undertaker since then? Very few.

Check it out. It's a brilliant match!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That list just cements to me how brilliant Cena has been. I'd disagree that the RAW match wasn't as good as Mania 23, but it still doesn't deserve to be as high as it is. I'd also disagree that Cena/Edge was better than Punk/Cena, but it definately had historical value for Cena as it was the biggest match in the fued that really elevated him to being the outright #1 guy in WWE.

Thanks for splitting this into a new thread

Michaels vs Cena WM23 being seven places behind the vastly inferior Raw borefest is a joke

The Raw match is miles better. It's in the best 5 matches either ever had. Bloody superb.

Agreed. I've always preferred the RAW match to the WrestleMania 23 match. Cena/Michaels wasn't the match of the night at WrestleMania 23 either, Batista/The Undertaker was.

Out of the top ten the WWE has come up with, the only match I'd lose is the Iron Man match between Cena/Orton at Bragging Rights 2009 but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with. I would change the order on some of the matches in that top ten as well. Haven't watched the TLC match between Cena/Edge at Unforgiven 2006 in years. The feud between the two remains the best in Cena's career.

My fave five John Cena matches:

1. John Cena vs. CM Punk. Money in the Bank 2011

2. John Cena vs. Umaga - Last Man Standing match. Royal Rumble 2007

3. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels. RAW, 23rd April 2007

4. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar - Extreme Rules match. Extreme Rules 2012

5. John Cena vs Triple H. WrestleMania 22

Matches which should have made the list but didn't:

John Cena vs. Randy Orton at No Way Out 2008 is one of the best matches of the Cena/Orton feud before a divided crowd and one of the best DQ finishes I've seen.

The RAW Elimination Chamber match from No Way Out 2009. I'm guessing it wasn't included because Cena doesn't last long in it but it's one of the most important runs in any Elimination Chamber match. I also think it's the best ever Elimination Chamber match.

John Cena's matches against Bobby Lashley at The Great American Bash 2007 and The Great Khali at Judgment Day 2007. The former was easily Lashley's best ever match. The Great Khali match might be Khali's best match as well.

Looking at it like that really hammers home the fact that Cena has had some tremendous matches over the years.

It`s hard to argue with the number 1 spot, Edge v Cena was probably a career highlight for both men and they produced some tremendous angles and matches.

I also agree with calls for the Umaga match to be placed higher and I`d certainly have his Wrestlamania bout with Shawn Michals in place of their Raw scrap. Other particular highlights for quickly scanning that list were his I Quit match with JBL at Judgement day, that was a very entertaining match.

Pleased to see so much of his Kurt Angle feud has been included, it was this feud that really kicked off the boos and audience split for Cena, slightly surprised the triple threat between Angle, Cena and Michaels from Taboo Tuesday isn`t there. I`d certainly card that above the 2008 Rumble match which was memorable only for Cena`s monster pop.

• Paid Members

Because I didn't watch all that much wrestling for about 5 or 6 years before the Punk v Cena feud last year, I really need to catch up with some the matches that Cena had that I missed during that period.

If some kind bugger puts together a DVD listing kind of deal of his best matches from 2005 to 2010, that would be bloody ace.

Also:-

John Cena v Alberto Del Rio - Last Man Standing - Vengeance 2011

Cena v Del Rio v CM Punk - Hell In A Cell 2011

Two absolutely excellent matches that get practically no recognition.

A countdown of John Cena's 50 greatest matches on wwe.com:

http://www.wwe.com/classics/john-cena-50-greatest

John Cena's best ever match was either against Umaga at the 2007 Royal Rumble, Shawn Michaels on the 23rd of April 2007 RAW or his match with CM Punk at Money in the Bank 2011.

Does anyone have this in list form? I'm not going through fifty pages with a match each..

Off topic but WWE.com is one of the worst websites around. You can't even read results of a show without clicking next 20 times and usually getting pop ups. Watching their videos is a pain as well. They make you watch a 30 second ad to see a 10 second clip. I hate the internet.

On topic my top 5 Cena matches are

v Umaga

v HBK (London)

v Lesnar

v The Rock

v Edge (unforgiven)

Special mention to his match with Rey Mysterio when Cena beat him for the WWE title. I loved that match. Cena is so good on the big stage!

• Paid Members
The Raw match is miles better. It's in the best 5 matches either ever had. Bloody superb.

Can't see it. It's two guys being told to kill 45 (or 90 depending who you ask) minutes, and they wrestle like it, there's little structure. They just wrestle for ages til the SCM hits and it's all over. I love the WM23 match. I'd have it in the top five for either man, and possibly in the top five 'Mania matches ever, definitely top ten. To save me sucking it off again I've just copied and pasted an old post here..

Vs Cena WM23. Amazing match. The final 10 minutes is maybe my favourite finishing stretch ever, so many great counters and CONVINCING near falls that still suck me in even when I'm re-watching it already knowing the result. It's just put together perfectly, there's so many brilliant aspects to the match, Michaels schooling of Cena early on builds up some great Cena comebacks, the highlight being the one where after HBK hits the post/buckle and comes back bleeding, a hurt Cena instinctively senses the blood and pounces on him with tremendous fire. Michaels is great in the wily veteran role, and Cena's tremendous trying to will and fight his way through the challenge. The match also features the greatest/most organic looking ref bump in history when Cena ducks at the very last second of a SCM attempt, leading to the poor ref getting SKELPED clean in the face with a Superkick! Cena ends up taking a sick looking (and sounding) piledriver on the steel steps at some point as well, the entire match flows and builds up to the closing stretch wonderfully, and once there, they cement the match as a classic.

They had another Raw match that I liked more than the London one, too. I think it was around the time HBK was working for JBL.

• Paid Members

I did love that Sabu match - I enjoy re-watching it even now. Carry-jobs are always enjoyable, and Sabu did an excellent job of carrying Cena that match.

As to the Mr. PPV tag, if we're going from the entirety of wrestling history, as opposed to current guys, I'd have to disagree - that's got to be HBK. But Cena's definitely the Mr. PPV of all current guys, and not that far behind HBK, I think.

They had another Raw match that I liked more than the London one, too. I think it was around the time HBK was working for JBL.

Pretty sure it was a Wrestlemania Rewind episode of RAW.

Can't see it. It's two guys being told to kill 45 (or 90 depending who you ask) minutes, and they wrestle like it, there's little structure.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense. There's so many matches of that length where you could accuse guys of just killing time but this wasn't one of them.

Yeah, they did. That's my favourite Cena vs Michaels match, I wasn't fond of either of their spring 2007 ones.

• Paid Members

I don't know how you guys remember the names and dates of each PPV but for someone not fond of Cena's matches I enjoyed the one against Show (were he ended up in a big light).

• Paid Members
I don't know how you guys remember the names and dates of each PPV but for someone not fond of Cena's matches I enjoyed the one against Show (were he ended up in a big light).

Yeah, that was actually Cena vs Edge in a Last Man Standing match at Backlash 09. It was a cracking match and I loved that finish.

Christ, that was three years ago. Feels like last year.

Archived