I fell in love with a Video Nasty

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my luck I get a duff copy that goes to shit in the finals 7 minutes of the doc. Loved what I watched though and it perfectly captured the sheer absurdity of the era.

Mental that it wasn't that long ago that horror films were being smuggled like drugs. I had actually forgotten how valuable certain films could be.

Graham Bright is one of the most punchable looking people I have ever set eyes on.

EDIT

Disk was just a little smudged.

• Paid Members

I love Kim Newman, his intros are excellent. Stephen Thrower too, I just bought his book Nightmare USA - an absolutely massive tome devoted to old exploitation films.

That's a splendid book — I did some work for FAB Press' UK distributor, and met up with Harvey Fenton a couple of times, with him recommending it to me, so I got a massive employee discount. Thrower's stuff is all great, really.

• Paid Members

Kim Newman is a british gem. If you are ever lucky enough to be at a horror festival where he is, go and have a chat with him. Within minutes you are old friends. He can talk the balls off a bull, but it's so interesting, you don't notice the time just dissapear.

I had no idea that Thrower was an author, I just know him as an ex member of my fav band Coil and now a part of Cyclobe. I'll give some of his books a read, Nightmare USA looks awesome but it's bloody expensive, just like all his Coil work.

It's worth the cash, a massive amount of research and passion has gone into. There's plenty of information in it that you just won't find anywhere else. Every print run sells out too, so the value goes up.

Heard FAB are doing a new print of Thrower's Fulci book too, which I can't bloody wait for.

He's just written a book about Jess Franco as well. I may have to invest in Nightmare USA as I love these films and it would be great to get more of an insight on them.

Is the Franco book out? He was a terrible, terrible director, but I'm still obsessed with his films.

Looks like it's out March in the UK, the US release is next month. Full title is "Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of Jesus Franco".

• Paid Members

He's just written a book about Jess Franco as well. I may have to invest in Nightmare USA as I love these films and it would be great to get more of an insight on them.

Is the Franco book out? He was a terrible, terrible director, but I'm still obsessed with his films.

Looks like it's out March in the UK, the US release is next month. Full title is "Murderous Passions: The Delirious Cinema of Jesus Franco".

tumblr_nasrksTnq01qf9csoo1_400.gif

Ta very much — that's going on my Christmas list.

• Paid Members

Right, I thought I'd bump this thread as I wanted to share with you fine people that I just watched Island of Death after Sky+ it on the Horror channel. All I can say is WOW! What a marvellously fucked up film that was. A couple going on holiday to a Greek island going on a killing spree. Add some bestiality, rape, and inventive killing methods and you have yourself a classic horror film. I'm interested to know if anyone else here has seen this film and if so, what did you make of it. I've also ordered the Video Nasties set that IanDrewDiceClay posted originally. Really looking forward to it.

Batshit crazy film. The lead woman is hot as hell in a girl next door way. Very offensive in the best of ways.

Someone in here will surely know. On the Horror Channel or SyFy or something, years back, maybe about 2008, there was a zombie film on. I can't remember what it was called, but what I do remember is there was a scene where one of the zombies pulled a man/woman's tongue out with his hand, and I'm sure someone got their head crushed by a forklift or similar vehicle. It looked old, maybe 70's, 80's. Any idea?

Sounds like Zombie - Creeping Flesh to me.

Edit - sorry guys. For some reason the above posts were showing as recent in my iPad for some reason.

Archived