I fell in love with a Video Nasty

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

VIDEO NASTIES

443850966.jpg

442788730.jpg

Not a thread about eating each others arms and wanking oneself off with the limb, but a thread that really needs to be done, I feel. I'm a big fan of this period in British cinema history. I just love videos in general. I still prefer to watch SummerSlam 89 on the video, rather than see it in undoubted higher quality. Its that old thing about listening to the Sex Pistols album on record, rather than on CD. The same applies here. Some film are viewed better on the worst format possible. The cover art for a lot of these films are better than the actual films. Driller Killer is a belting cover. It does what it says on the tin.

There's a fantastic documentary about the period called Moral, Panic, Censorship and Videotape, which is on the Video Nasties Definitive Guide DVD, which anyone with even a slight interest in horror should own. Its truly a great set.

Scan-101231-0001.jpg

Now you discuss it ...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I went through a phase of being massively obsessed with nasties, and this era of horror - it's cooled off a bit now, but it has left me with some awesome literature on the subject, some of which is actually worth a fair bit. I've got a couple of pamphlets, one on John Morghen (Bob from City of the Living Dead and the main bastard in Cannibal Ferox, and another on Laura Gemser (Black Emanuelle), that are worth about

• Moderators

I love the Laura Gemser films. Vox would show a lot of them as the Saturday Night Grumble about 10 years ago. The hardcore inserts are a bit odd though.

What's everyone's favourite video nasty then? Mine's Fight for your Life when the racist points a loaded gun at a baby. Ace.

While not video nasties, I also used to love the Channel 4 exploitation season about 15 years ago on 4later. The Curious Dr Humpp is a much watch.

Not VHS, but a few years ago I went through a phase of grabbing every 23rd Century DVD release I could get my hands on. Truly awful VHS rips sold mainly in pound shops.

House By The Cemetery

City Of The Living Dead

2019: After The Fall Of New York

The Beyond

Titan Find

The Marseilles Connection

War Bus

Mausoleum

Crypt Of The Living Dead

I LOVED The Marseille Connection (not really a video nasty) and War Bus was a bit of a giggle.

This was all largely thanks to ronaldo9 on here, who got me interested in these types of movies. He would occasionally pass me the free DVDs he got after reviewing them for his excellent site; www.dvdtrash.blogspot.com. Your Vice Is A Locked Door And Only I have The Key, Witchfinder General and Bone aka Dial Rat - Yaphet Kotto motherfucker!

• Paid Members

I can vouch for the quality of the Video Nasties documentary Ian refers to, it's a fabulous DVD set, too. Not just the documentary, which has some utterly amazing things in it (such as MP Graham Bright using a study that claimed that dogs were negatively affected by video nasties to back up the Video Recordings Act legislation), but the complete collection of trailers and introductions to them. It's brilliant.

In terms of owning any, I really don't aside from Last House On The Left and Night Train Killers. My problem is that I never know which versions are the complete and uncut ones to buy, but there's a pretty good guide at the fantastic Melon Farmers website as to which are the definitive versions.

• Paid Members

Emanuelle in America is a monumentally bad idea - horse wanking AND really convincing snuff footage?

I'd say my favorite depends on mood - it's either Cannibal Ferox for how stupid it is, [/i]Cannibal Holocaust[/i] for shocks, or Fight for Your Life for just being a quality movie.

• Moderators

Watching Video Nasties you soon realise just how fucking tame some of they are. Possession starring Sam Neill being a fine example. Here's a film that probably would have been banned if anyone saw it 30 years ago, even though it's dead tame - Black Magic Rites and the Secret Orgies of the 14th Century. It's shit, but it's got Mickey Hargitay in it, and a man who looks like John C. Reilly with a facial tick who gets to have a threesome with two delightful ladies.

• Paid Members
Watching Video Nasties you soon realise just how fucking tame some of they are. Possession starring Sam Neill being a fine example.

Indeed, I think several of the films on the list later went on to get 15 certificates. Many of them were banned just for their cover art, half the time the prosecutors didn't even watch them.

• Paid Members

I haven't seen that doc, but I've wish listed it - probably going to get my parents to buy it, tut about it a bit, and then send it over.

Therefore, a lot of stuff I know about nasties probably gets reiterated in there - an amusing supposition is that the well-tame Funhouse was caught up in the seizures because it was a Tobe Hooper movie, and this created a crossover with the fact that Last House on Dead End Street had a release under same title, which was also used at drive-ins in the USA.

• Paid Members

Am I right in thinking those photos are @vivaVHS collection?

Will also put in a good word for the Moral Panic DVD theres also a cracking documentary from about 12 years ago which I believe was on Channel 4 which was one during the relaxing of the banned films by James Ferman, features a lot of talking heads stuff from him and key members of the BBFC and they made some great points (and some truly baffling ones)

There used to be a box called The Video Nasty that had this in it

I want one

A lot of films did get banned because of their cover art (or explicit screen shots) The word chainsaw was at one point banned from the use in film titles. One film (i'm trying to remember which) actually just stared it out so the title made no sense. it was basically called something like ******** of death

Am I right in thinking those photos are @vivaVHS collection?

A lot of films did get banned because of their cover art (or explicit screen shots) The word chainsaw was at one point banned from the use in film titles. One film (i'm trying to remember which) actually just stared it out so the title made no sense. it was basically called something like ******** of death

I haven't watched that doc in an age, but it probably mentions this - The Dolly Parton/Burt Reynolds musical comedy The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas & World War II epic The Big Red One got seized based on the titles alone.

There's a really fantastic book by the producer of that documentary called The Art Of The Nasty that i'd recommend to anyone with an interest in this stuff. A gorgeous hardback collection of video nasty/related cover art. I was waiting for a cheap copy to come along for years since all the first editions from 1999 or so all fucking fell apart, leaving in tact versions pretty rare, but FAB rereleased it a while back.

Best of that lot for me have to be Night Of The Bloody Apes, Island of Death and Night Of The Demon. I remember when I was first getting into these films, I had a mate show me Island Of Death. Never imagined in a million years thought you'd be able to waltz into HMV one day and find it staring' you in the face alongside Caligula, but here we are. Night Of The Demon gets a mention purely for SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

the scene with Yet-Ay tearing of a biker's wang mid piss

I'm another one who loves all this stuff.

I actually wrote my degree dissertation on video nasties, moral panics and the evolution of extreme cinema. Got a bloody good grade for it too! It was great fun doing the research as there is so much written on the subject, and it was a good excuse to re-watch a bunch of the more notorious films.

• Paid Members

I've hardly seen any of the video nasties, so how many of them could actually be regarded as good films to see? The Evil Dead is obviously excellent, but beyond that I don't know if I've seen any of them. I might watch one tonight.

• Paid Members

Actual good films? Here's my short breakdown of what I've seen that's good

Axe - creepy, well directed chiller, kind of reminds me of Texas Chainsaw.

The Burning - lower budget, cheesy slasher, but glossier than most of the nasties - very American, very prime-era slasher. Lots of young future stars - Holly Hunter, Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens

Cannibal Apocalypse - Shit, it's stupid, but I like it. I like John Saxon, a lot.

Cannibal Ferox - Stupid as shit, gory as hell, and a lot of fun. John Morghen and my mate Bob Kerman seem to be having a good time.

Cannibal Holocaust - Just a blinder, IMHO. The animal cruelty is a stretch, and some of the acting is beyond bad, but as a package, it's very provocative, and Deodato was high class.

The Driller Killer - You can somehow just tell that Ferrera was talented.

Evilspeak - It's awful, but fun awful. Clint Howard is amusing. No idea how it got on this list, that must've been a big broom they were wielding (ditto The Burning).

Expos

Archived