New WWE Title?

ad2bad

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How so? He had a awesome reign! The ic belt was used brilliently to elevate him up the card.

But they booked him to lose nearly every match in what seems like an eternity...

They used that method with many of Ric Flair's world title reigns didn't they? Make the champ look vulnerable and have him squeak out with a win? Besides you'll be surprised how many have had a crap reign on paper but went on to be remembered fondly. The Hardy boys never had a decent tag title reign during their peak for example. And I'm not sure the rock ever had a decent wwe title reign either (though my memory is foggy on that one).

However it's not so much the win / loss record that made it a decent run IMO. The reason I liked the run primarily is that for the first time in ages, the ic belt was used to help develop someone's character.

Rhodes was obsessed with bringing greatness to the ic belt and talked about his greatness for doing so. It gave his character focus, drive and a point... Something that a lot of characters are missing these days.

Could they of handled his reign better? Sure, but between the last two mania's he had a cracking year and the belt was used as a key tool to elevate him to upper midcard level.

I was talking about the run AFTER the Big Show held it for 5 minutes. Cody got it back and they flushed everything down the toilet.

I agree on this though... That title change did seem pointless.

• Paid Members
The Hardy boys never had a decent tag title reign during their peak for example.

They are remembered for being an exciting and popular tag team. You are talking about a specific title reign being over, when it clearly isn't. If Cody Rhodes becomes a huge superstar, it will have nothing to do with his IC title reign, because it was super forgettable. If Cody Rhodes was this beacon of match quality, exciting fans nation wide, then that might be valid. But his most memorable match during his IC run was losing to Booker T in none title battles and playing second fiddle to the Big Show.

And I'm not sure the rock ever had a decent wwe title reign either (though my memory is foggy on that one).

The Rock headlined some of the largest drawing PPVs in the history of wrestling as the champion, including the domestic biggest PPV ever. I'd say his run as champion was pretty memorable.

Could they of handled his reign better? Sure, but between the last two mania's he had a cracking year and the belt was used as a key tool to elevate him to upper midcard level.

No it wasn't. The IC belt was damage control. Cody Rhodes was in a far better position on the card in 2009. And for a lot of 2010. This IC title reign was just a bloke carrying a nostalgic memory around. He'd have been better off carrying a 123 Kid Hasbro around.

Rhodes was a midcard act, having midcard matches, carrying a midcard belt, on a secondary brand.

The Hardy boys never had a decent tag title reign during their peak for example.

They are remembered for being an exciting and popular tag team. You are talking about a specific title reign being over, when it clearly isn't. If Cody Rhodes becomes a huge superstar, it will have nothing to do with his IC title reign, because it was super forgettable. If Cody Rhodes was this beacon of match quality, exciting fans nation wide, then that might be valid. But his most memorable match during his IC run was losing to Booker T in none title battles and playing second fiddle to the Big Show.

And I'm not sure the rock ever had a decent wwe title reign either (though my memory is foggy on that one).

The Rock headlined some of the largest drawing PPVs in the history of wrestling as the champion, including the domestic biggest PPV ever. I'd say his run as champion was pretty memorable.

No it wasn't. The IC belt was damage control. Cody Rhodes was in a far better position on the card in 2009. And for a lot of 2010. This IC title reign was just a bloke carrying a nostalgic memory around. He'd have been better off carrying a 123 Kid Hasbro around.

Rhodes was a midcard act, having midcard matches, carrying a midcard belt, on a secondary brand.

I wouldn't say he had an 'awesome' reign, but it was better than a lot of recent times. Ezekial Jackson for example.

Please show me a side plate with deep etched layering like this belt has.

533991_10150853311407215_725022214_9657803_1209140053_n.jpg

This is genius. I remember as a kid it was so hard to get any replica winged eagle the foam one was pretty rare and WWF magazine was still selling the plastic '86 belt until about 93. I wasn't quite as creative and have a picture in Hitman sunglasses holding up an Adihash bumbag as my winged eagle.

Agreed on bring back the Undisputed Championship Belt. I have a adult replica belt, it is a thing of beauty ok not as great as the Attitude or Winged Eagle Belt but still very nice. TV never did it any justice how big the belt is.

Archived