People who were really over but then fell off a cliff

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Basically a thread about people you were considered proper favourites by a lot of people, but now you they aren't up to much and are pretty much unfixable. For every CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, there's a Teddy Hart and a Chris Harris. For example - Homicide. Remember when everyone used to talk him up like he was the midget, Puerto Rican version of Bruiser Brody? People used to love this bloke. "Give him the ROH belt, push him as the face of the X Division" and all that? Now he's just a fat old bloke, taking up time on ROH supercards.Actually, Mr. Kennedy is a good example as well. When he was in WWE around 2007, there was a lot of "next main eventer" talk. Then he kept getting injured, but still people thought his time would come eventually. Then they sacked him and he was swimming up stream in TNA having a good go, but now the bloke's completely fucked. He doesn't look like he's bothered anymore. Rhino as well. What happened to him? He was one of those people who everyone thought had bags of potential, but now he's just fucking about doing very little and meaning even less.Wrestling has a tenancy to cough up the likes of these every now and again. People who you think is important at the time, but in the grand scheme of things doesn't mean much at the end of it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MVP and Carlito are in that same group as Kennedy. At one point, WWE would've had eyes on all three of them becoming the next generation of stars.Elijah Burke was an odd one. He was given the star treatment for a bit in WWE, being Vince McMahon's mate and leader of the New Breed. Jakks immediately planned five million Elijah Burke toys, but he was a nobody again by the time they all came out. A lot of people used to say he was great, but I didn't see it. Then he went to TNA, was absolutely brilliant and on course to be their top man, and then he just dropped like a sack of spuds again.Ted DiBiase and Drew McIntyre are the most recent WWE examples of bright futures turned to fuck all. Wait, no they're not. Alex Riley. He was the daddy for a few weeks there, beating ex-WWE champion and WrestleMania main event winner The Miz, but then WWE lost interest and it just killed Miz rather than helping Riley.

Test. There wasnt just a time where he was being talked up as the next big main eventer in WWE, he genuinely was the next guy and was on that cusp of nailing it and then just hit a brick wall and never recovered. It wasnt like he was around for a short period of time and was just found out, he was red hot in late 1999, then again all the way through 2001. The next thing we knew he was knocking about with a wrecked Scott Steiner.

You know when on a Tuesday morning you all flick through the Raw thread and yawn when you see me getting all cross about just how much of a useless prick Jericho is?Well, in 2007, I was a million times worst with Kennedy. Fucking hated the bloke.I'm glad that wretched cretin went to TNA and got fat. He's awful.

• Paid Members

Samoa Joe is the definition of this surely?He looked awesome in ROH and for a good while in TNA and it seemed like it'd be only a matter of time before he'd be TNA's first real home grown star...and it just didn't happen. He had a shite title run, got fat and slowly became just another guy on the roster. TNA could release him tomorrow and I don't think it would make that much of a difference to Impact.I suppose you could include Matt Hardy as well. Guy was super over in the aftermath of Lita cheating on him with Edge and now all but he's burned his bridges with both major companies and probably with a lot of his former fans as well.

• Paid Members

Does anybody like Kennedy? And if so, why? Because in WWE he really was an incredibly boring and shit promo on top of some really crap and awkward matches, and I don't remember ever seeing a match of his that I liked.Last time I checked TNA he seemed to be much the same except getting people to call him an asshole.

Shelton Benjamin anyone? After the World's greatest tag team split for the first time he seemed destined for the big time as a face. He beat Triple H and was a multi-time Intercontinental and US champion. But he could never quite make that step up as a main eventer. Now he's in ROH back teaming with Charlie Haas like he was in 2002. I always thought the guy would make it big, evidently not.

Archived