People who were really over but then fell off a cliff

IANdrewDiceClay

Shelton Benjamin was never going anywhere. He was a shitehawk devoid of personality. The 2003ers plugged the "He's a rookie with potential, future world champ" line for about ten years, but it was never going to happen. Like MVP, he had a week or two when he first went to Raw where it looked like it might, but then he was useless at everything except jumping and he became the shittest Intercontinental champion ever.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kofi Kingston.His feud with Randy Orton, when Kofi boom-dropped through a table in the crowd, he was so over. His new edge made it seem certain he was about to break through to main event territory, but he very quickly went back to the midcard and doesn't look like leaving.

• Paid Members

I know he left the business for 'family reasons' rather than 'falling off a cliff', but there was a time when loads of people thought Monty Brown was going to be big time. I thought he had it in him, then, suddenly he disappeared from TV and was never seen again.Apparently he's back on the indy circuit- anyone know what he's up to?

Also, Shelton Benjamin was never over.

The idea of Triple H or Shawn Michaels getting beat, or nearly getting beat, by someone outside of the accepted main event sect was over with the crowd but when you chucked Shelton Benjamin out there with someone on a similar, or lesser, level to him the crowd couldn't give a shite.

People who's opinions are clouded by how high people jump, or the illogical spots they can do in ladder matches, will tell you that he was a fantastic wrestler who suffered from being poor on the mic and lacking character. The truth is that whilst technically he was solid, in that he could perform the moves satisfactorily, his wrestling lacked charisma as much as his acting. There was no character to his wrestling, his matches never told stories or had a binding narrative or purpose, there was just a pretty athletic guy doing a bunch of stuff. Some of which was impressive.

says on wikipedia hes wrestling in Sault Area Wrestling,what about petey williams was on a major push and then they lumbered him with the Maple Leaf Muscle gimmick poor sod must of thought how he pissed russo off

Elijah Burke was an odd one. He was given the star treatment for a bit in WWE, being Vince McMahon's mate and leader of the New Breed. Jakks immediately planned five million Elijah Burke toys, but he was a nobody again by the time they all came out. A lot of people used to say he was great, but I didn't see it. Then he went to TNA, was absolutely brilliant and on course to be their top man, and then he just dropped like a sack of spuds again.

Same when he went to TNA. He was treated and looked like a star, The Pope thing seemed to work, all the Impact Zone people were loving it but then it was all but forgotten about in a matter of weeks.

Kofi Kingston.His feud with Randy Orton, when Kofi boom-dropped through a table in the crowd, he was so over. His new edge made it seem certain he was about to break through to main event territory, but he very quickly went back to the midcard and doesn't look like leaving.

Yeah, he's went down a bit, but hardly fell off a clip. People do still genuinely care for him and for a midcarder he easily gets the best reactions of them all.

• Paid Members

Elijah Burke was an odd one. He was given the star treatment for a bit in WWE, being Vince McMahon's mate and leader of the New Breed. Jakks immediately planned five million Elijah Burke toys, but he was a nobody again by the time they all came out. A lot of people used to say he was great, but I didn't see it. Then he went to TNA, was absolutely brilliant and on course to be their top man, and then he just dropped like a sack of spuds again.

Same when he went to TNA. He was treated and looked like a star, The Pope thing seemed to work, all the Impact Zone people were loving it but then it was all but forgotten about in a matter of weeks.
Yeah, that's what Pity said, no real need to repeat it.

• Paid Members

Harold Bishop from Neighbours.I'll echo the suggestion of Rhino. He was reasonably over in WWE, looked pretty damn decent and could go on the mic, yet never went beyond the midcard. Sadly, my main memories of his tenure are watching him break his neck on the ringpost, losing to Batista in 3 minutes and being released after breaking a plant pot. :/

• Paid Members

Well it didn't help that in his first 3 months of being a heel he was first battered mercilessly by Stone Cold, then beaten by The Rock the next month and then on the third month was chokeslammed off the Hell In A Cell into a truck full of sawdust by The Undertaker. How we was supposed to get over as a heel from all that I don't know. The Racism shit he came out with didn't help either.

X-Pac had to be one of the biggest ones. He was getting lots of TV time, shifting merch during his DX run, when DX ended he was still one of the most popular guys on the card getting his run with Kane, he got the "go home" segment at the UK No Mercy PPV getting to be the last one in the ring with Austin (& while we're on the UK PPV's he got the title match in 1998 to test the waters) yet then he went backwards, got injured & disapeared and fell to the bottom of the pile and ended up one of the most hated guys on the roster even as a face.

Well it didn't help that in his first 3 months of being a heel he was first battered mercilessly by Stone Cold, then beaten by The Rock the next month and then on the third month was chokeslammed off the Hell In A Cell into a truck full of sawdust by The Undertaker. How we was supposed to get over as a heel from all that I don't know. The Racism shit he came out with didn't help either.

The thing that did it for me was that he came for his first big ppv match as a heel dress up in a dress intended for a fat pregnant women. I honestly think wwe dropped the ball with heel rakishi.

• Paid Members

Nexus? I wasn't watching at the time but wasn't they red hot?

They were, but it was never the kind of thing that was going to make a set of guys instant bonafide main eventers. There were too many people involved for everyone involved to come out of it as a legit star. Also, the heat they ammassed was more to do with that amazing debut, which was unlike anything that had ever been done on WWE TV before. It just felt anarchic and dangerous, and turned 8 no-marks into guys who were a massive threat to anyone and everyone in the company.What Nexus did achieve was to give multiple guys something to do for a while whereas some of them might have fallen off the radar otherwise. Granted, it fizzled out into the New Nexus and Corre rubbish, but Wade Barrett's recovered fairly well and his big matches against Cena will have set him up nicely for performing on the same level in the future. Otunga's doing alright too.It is kind of funny, though, that the guy who was only in Nexus for a week was the first one to win a world title. Course, that has more to do with who he is and how amazing he's been at running with whatever WWE gave him.

• Paid Members

Does anybody like Kennedy? And if so, why? Because in WWE he really was an incredibly boring and shit promo on top of some really crap and awkward matches, and I don't remember ever seeing a match of his that I liked.Last time I checked TNA he seemed to be much the same except getting people to call him an asshole.

In fairness to Kennedy, he had a cracking feud with Angle when he first joined TNA. Genuinely great heel work (as well as Angle dragging him to the best matches Anderson will ever have), then TNA suddenly decided they wanted to push him as a Rock/Austin hybrid not long after that. He's been rotten ever since then, bad at everything.The Pope is an interesting one. TNA did a grand job of pushing him, then got cold feet and he went the same way as Anderson.

• Paid Members

Ted DiBiase. Towards the end of the Legacy run it seemed he was being groomed to become a big future star, and they often teased a DiBiase face turn against a heel Orton. During all this, Cody Rhodes was an after thought for me. Now, Rhodes is a high profile star on the cusp of the main event, improving every week whereas DiBiase has done absolutely nothing of note for over two years.

Archived