WWE Extreme Rules Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

Maybe it's the perfect way to use Brock. Have him totally dominate the match but lose. That way fans get to see him be the beast he is, he gets to destroy people but WWE's longterm stars get the win so when he pisses off everythings stronger.

I'd agree having him lose was daft if he was back full time for a few years but thats clearly not whats happening.

The promo afterwards was just confusing.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure none of it matters because Cena/Rock apart WWE seems determined to make sure nothing matters long term but Alverez is right even if he has gone into hyperbole about it. Why would you pay someone millions and millions of pounds and then beat him straight away? Makes no sense, surely you want to make him losing matter as much as possible and for that to happen he has to win a load.

How many Lesnar losses would matter more than one against wrestling's biggest star John Cena in big Brock's first proper wrestling match in eight years? Lesnar acts too good for wrestling and he made out the WWE's top man would be an easy win for him. If he'd won and thus vindicated himself, it makes wrestling and Cena look inferior. As it is, Brock came back with a wave of hype and had a match that made Cena -- and consequently, wrestling itself -- look more legitimate and on his level.

Personally i wouldn't have done the match at all right now. I don't think Cena or lesner needed to lose at a B PPV. You say yourself Cena is wrestling's biggest star why not save the match for Summerslam or even Mania? As it is we have had less than a month? of build and already Lesner has lost whilst Cena is fighting the GM because he had nowhere to go after sunday.

And let's be honest, UKFF, every single one of the divots going "waa they've blown money, Lesnar should have had a Goldberg streak" is really just trying to put a new ribbon on the same anti-Cena, anti-WWE turd they've all been pushing out of their arsemouths for years. They're upset not because of their impeccable knowledge of how to draw money in wrestling (the CM Punk flop has shown they haven't a clue), but because John Cena, the guy they hate, won. And they would only be happy if Heyman-guy Lesnar lost to one of the pullpud-approved "workers."

Give it a rest. These boring cliched insults about people who like different wrestling to you are as shit as those who rave about Davey Richards and hate John Cena. There are lots of ways to skin a cat but wins and losses do matter hence why Cena wins a lot. Lesner shouldn't have lost not because his friends with someone but because they have given him a huge deal and to get the most out of him you want loads of time to build him up to a proper money match at Mania.

Now let's say Lesnar came in and had the undefeated streak that the wankwanks want him to have. He has four or five matches over the course of the year. He crushes Cena, Triple H, Orton and Sheamus and goes to WrestleMania to fight The Rock. Now it's debatable as to whether those four wins would make any odds to the buyrate anyway (as it'd largely be hyped on UFC megastar vs Hollywood megastar regardless of wrestling win-loss records), but what kind of long-term sense is there in a part-timer crushing three or four of your full-time stars, including the face of the company, just to build up to a match with another part-timer? It cuts both ways. There are arguments to be had about most wrestling booking, including the Extreme Rules main event, but making out it's a full-stop fact that (lolSuper)Cena winning is bad business is the sole preserve of the dirtsheep retards
He gave an opinion just like you give yours. Traditionally(i'm sure there are exceptions) wrestlers draw more money if they don't lose so i can see totally why he feels that way. Myself i would have saved Lesner and Cena for Mania and had him fued with Triple H for 6 months which because of his dates would have probably mean 2 matches and then do a super long build to mania where Cena has to defend the WWE.

And dirtsheep retards? fucking hell i didn't realise there was a cooler way to like wrestling. Maybe i should post figures of my massive figure collection to show how cool i really am. That fiver a month i pay to F4w could be better served on figures of Yoshi Tatsu.

So let's just be honest and admit that we're happy or sad because the guy we were rooting for won or lost. Don't make out it's because WWE has failed in some objective "Booking 101" (give him a manager, push the cruisers) class. For me, the finish was perfect. It was a fantastic climax to the match, made perfect sense within the story, and was redemptive, compelling and surprising. And it upset a load of thick, smelly virgins.

13949024_display_image.jpg

It was a fantastic match with a climax has ensured they will now spend the next year trying to make us all forget so they can rehab Lesner.

Personally i wouldn't have done the match at all right now. I don't think Cena or lesner needed to lose at a B PPV. You say yourself Cena is wrestling's biggest star why not save the match for Summerslam or even Mania?

Because they just had one of their largest pay-per-view audiences ever and wanted something to sustain the momentum and keep people interested, rather than to placate internet spackos who think Booking 101 dictates that "B" pay-per-views shouldn't have big matches on them. And/or because Brock Lesnar signed a one-year contract that would culminate at WrestleMania next year and you'd have to be a real fucking spastic to not start him the night after this year's WrestleMania.

Give it a rest. These boring cliched insults about people who like different wrestling to you are as shit as those who rave about Davey Richards and hate John Cena. There are lots of ways to skin a cat but wins and losses do matter hence why Cena wins a lot. Lesner shouldn't have lost not because his friends with someone but because they have given him a huge deal and to get the most out of him you want loads of time to build him up to a proper money match at Mania.

But it would take a really, really full-on idiot to think that Lesnar's drawing power was huge before Extreme Rules and miniscule after. Cener shouldn't have lost not because his friends with someone but because he is their biggest star and to get the most out of him you dont want him to lose two money matches in a row to part timers.

And dirtsheep retards? fucking hell i didn't realise there was a cooler way to like wrestling. Maybe i should post figures of my massive figure collection to show how cool i really am. That fiver a month i pay to F4w could be better served on figures of Yoshi Tatsu.

I never mentioned any cooler ways to like wrestling, did I? I like how you did though, bit Freudian. Blindly doing the anti-Cena gimmick and pretending it's backed by completely factual business reasoning and objective Booking 101 (LET HIM WRESTLE, clean submission wins) laws isn't about being more or less cool. It's about how much of a mindless spanner you are.

The Yoshi Tatsu figure instead of F4W would be a wise investment. A few weeks away from Alvie and Dave and you might not even hate wrestling or be a mong, though you might be too far gone already. You'd only get the Yoshi in Musawa tights for a fiver, though. The one with the dragon tights and orange tassles would cost at least double that.

It was a fantastic match with a climax has ensured they will now spend the next year trying to make us all forget so they can rehab Lesner.

he is ruined now wwe sux shud be mre like roh n not pg lol

Also, it's Brock Lesnar. You fucking dimwit. He's that big a star you don't even know the cunt's name. No wonder he lost.

Unbeaten people have always mattered in wrestling. How fucking idiotic do you have to be to not know this? The entire career of Goldberg was a love letter to making big, strong, scary guys undefeatable, and a lesson to be learned in why - when that person eventually does lose - you pick the time and place very carefully.

Doesnt matter that Brock has many wrestling losses then? Unbeaten, my arse

I conveniently left it out because conveniently Brock Lesnar hasn't even been in pro-wrestliing in the last four years, let alone been the biggest draw in the business. Unless I'm forgetting something?

Is Georges Saint Pierre the second biggest draw in pro-wrestling over the last few years?

Alvarez was clearly saying that in the last four years, Brock Lesnar has been the biggest draw in pro-wrestling and MMA. There is clearly a crossover between wrestling and MMA as Brock Lesnar is concerned. It would be foolish to suggest that at least some of UFC's draw during Brock's stint wasn't due to the intrigue of wrestling fans.

As witty as they no doubt are to some, the remarks to Manchester United and David Beckham spectacularly miss the point.

Because they just had one of their largest pay-per-view audiences ever and wanted something to sustain the momentum and keep people interested, rather than to placate internet spackos who think Booking 101 dictates that "B" pay-per-views shouldn't have big matches on them. And/or because Brock Lesnar signed a one-year contract that would culminate at WrestleMania next year and you'd have to be a real fucking spastic to not start him the night after this year's WrestleMania.

Nothing to do with Booking 101. B level shows never draw as well as Rumble, Summerslam or Mania.

When did i mention not starting him the night after Mania?

But it would take a really, really full-on idiot to think that Lesnar's drawing power was huge before Extreme Rules and miniscule after. Cener shouldn't have lost not because his friends with someone but because he is their biggest star and to get the most out of him you dont want him to lose two money matches in a row to part timers.

Nobody has said it's miniscule just that it would increase if he was kept stronger for longer.

I never mentioned any cooler ways to like wrestling, did I? I like how you did though, bit Freudian. Blindly doing the anti-Cena gimmick and pretending it's backed by completely factual business reasoning and objective Booking 101 (LET HIM WRESTLE, clean submission wins) laws isn't about being more or less cool. It's about how much of a mindless spanner you are.

Your original post was laced with insults. And yet again your putting words into peoples mouths. You deserve some back as a grown man collecting actions figures is just as sad as a grown man liking a different form of oiled up men pretending to fight than you.

The Yoshi Tatsu figure instead of F4W would be a wise investment. A few weeks away from Alvie and Dave and you might not even hate wrestling or be a mong, though you might be too far gone already. You'd only get the Yoshi in Musawa tights for a fiver, though. The one with the dragon tights and orange tassles would cost at least double that.

I don't like japanese wrestling or wrestling figures so i think i'll stick to my subscription thanks.

he is ruined now wwe sux shud be mre like roh n not pg lol

Also, it's Brock Lesnar. You fucking dimwit. He's that big a star you don't even know the cunt's name. No wonder he lost.

You have me on the spelling i'm a prick for it . But i'm afraid i don't watch ROH and i don't care about PG.

To put it simply, if Brock were to walk during this undefeated streak, their product would look like a joke. If they have even one match where they can say 'well, our top guy beat the former UFC champ and toughed it out with him', their product looks good.

It's not so much about whether Cena needs the win or not. It's about making their product look good. WWE don't want to get burnt again.

Yeah, I agree with King Pitcos here. I was about to reply to say that they want the momentum of Mania to carry on through the rest of the year. The money matches at Summerslam or Mania are going to draw because these are the events all wrestling fans know are the big ones. They know they'll get something special at these events. Kind of like how The Rock and Cena teamed at Survivor Series, didn't draw particularly well, and still did great business at Mania. They've done record numbers for Mania - now they just need to get the B level shows to have higher buys. That video on Raw showing the highlights of the match might make people think 'fuck, I missed out there' and they might start a trend of getting people to part with their money for those events.

Actually no, it shows Lesnar was more hype than anything else. That's the entire point of having him run through guys, so all the talk and the hype is legitimated and so when the guy is eventually beaten your guy beat a guy who's proven to be a bad ass.

Lesnar was already a proven bad ass. And JC just beat him.

... uh... but WWE booked that angle. So if it flopped - logically - you've just said WWE don't have a clue? Which is fine if you think that but I get the impression you meant something different.

Booking a pay-per-view storyline exclusively for people who stream pay-per-views was stupid. Thinking it was going to turn wrestling around or spark a new boom period, clueless.

Unbeaten people have always mattered in wrestling.

And Brock Lesnar hasn't been one of them for nearly ten years. Cop yourself on, good lad.

Why did it have to be Cena this month? It doesn't matter who beats Lesnar in the end, really, it can be whoever they want. The Rock's just the guy who's been reported as the plan right now. The whole idea is you have him beat numerous top guys in preparation for [insert top guy here] to beat him at a convenient date down the line.

Already explained why Cena and why this month in my prior post, you'd have to be a berk to not understand it, and I suspect that cap fits you well. So, in your "mind" is it an unchallengable fact that A) a Brock Lesnar vs The Rock match requires Lesnar to be undefeated (which has been impossible since late 2002) and B) that you should sacrifice the full-time stars for the sake of one match between part-timers who are already famous outside of wrestling?

Why don't you try listening to what they say first and then decide whether or not you agree? Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. But in this scenario they're almost 100% correct because big guy booking is the single easiest thing in wrestling, it goes the same way every time, and it always, always works provided the big guy is able to make the audience believe in them (as Brock Lesnar can). See Goldberg, The Ultimate Warrior, the mega push Mark Henry - of all people - got a year or so back which somehow made him a star. It's pathetically easy and it always works and always draws money.

Have a word with yourself, he's not Ryback, for fuck's sake. Brock Lesnar is neither a debuting greenhorn or a long-term midcarder with a few failed main event pushes behind him. He's back in WWE on a part-time megastar contract after a big run in real fighting, with aura and backstory to the gills. It's not the start of his career needing to win over the audience. He's already money, and every match he has is a rare special attraction. Unless you're special needs, you already know that. And that's why it's obvious that the bellyaching is all just loosely-veiled "SuperCena won again booo" sentiment.

I'm sure you say the same every time Vince Russo does retarded shit that drives people away from whatever product he's associated with in droves.

Wow, an anti-Russo reference from a newzsite devotee.

You're a twat. Who cares what you think?

Your mum and Richie Freebird.

I’ll say it again. Lesnar vs. HHH at SummerSlam, or whatever Lesnar’s next match is, will be very big. He’s not going to be “just another guy.” He’ll always be Brock Lesnar and people will always be intrigued to see him wrestle.

Say it again? I can't remember him saying it once on the Extreme Rules review podcast. Maybe he said it in the post-Raw podcast. What I heard was him saying that Lesnar is just another WWE wrestler. I'm sure he said it more than once too. And he's changed his tune about it being the dumbest finish ever as well, which obviously it wasn't. Now he's saying it's in the top 5, which I still don't think it was.

Your original post was laced with insults. And yet again your putting words into peoples mouths. You deserve some back as a grown man collecting actions figures is just as sad as a grown man liking a different form of oiled up men pretending to fight than you.

Agreed. But collecting "actions figures" or enjoying various kinds of oiled up men pretending to fight is a different matter than crying because a wrestler you hate won and then pretending you're crying because you know how to make money in wrestling better than Vince McMahon does and he's doing it wrong.

they booked him as if he was just another guy on the roster.

The only people who would genuinely believe a statement like that either didn't watch the match or are paedophiles. It's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, and completely exposes your cluelessness. Lesnar was booked nothing like just another guy on the roster, anyone of sound mind who watched the match could tell you that.

Archived