Play 2012

patiirc

Well, as some on here have attended Replay over the past 2 years I thought I'd start a new topic on it.

This years event is going to have a new name (not yet decided), a new venue (somewhere in Manchester) and a new date (12th-14th October)

I'm not particularly happy about the move away from the seaside ( It doesnt have to be Blackpool, could have been any seaside it went to) because I feel it loses something by going to be held in a city away from a USP of being a retro based event in a place helping to evoke retro memories in a place where many people will have played games on holidays and so on. With that lost it will just be another 'event' that just happens to have a a focus on, but not be exclusively about retro.

The Norbreck are apparently to blame for the change of venue, as they couldnt come to a deal with the organisers over use of the 2nd room for this year (not that the 2nd room added anything much imo anyway). But there we go.

I don't think I'm going to go. I probably cant afford it and I have rapidly fallen out of love with retro over the last year anyway. Im sure that some will be interested to know what's happening though and that it might be more accessible to them

• Paid Members

I'm delighted. Manchester's obviously more accessible for me and will put on a far better show. Plus, to suggest that Manchester has no connection to retro gaming is nonsense - remember Ocean?

You can't blame them for moving it. Blackpool is a hovel. Manchester is great. It's a no-brainer if they want to expand.

I'm delighted. Manchester's obviously more accessible for me and will put on a far better show. Plus, to suggest that Manchester has no connection to retro gaming is nonsense - remember Ocean?

You can't blame them for moving it. Blackpool is a hovel. Manchester is great. It's a no-brainer if they want to expand.

I wasnt suggesting that a) Blackpool isnt a hovel, it is for many many reasons or b) That Manchester isnt Retro, it is because of Ocean, Infogrames etc etc

I was suggesting it will likely become more corporate and become less focused on retro to attact a wider audience and that the USP of being by the Sea and all the stuff goes with it has been lost. Would have been happier if it had moved to another seasidey place or even Liverpool which is at least on or near the coast and has plenty of retro connections (Psygnosis etc)

2011 had a lot less purely retro stuff than the original expo in my opinion. More Pinballs for sure, but there a bigger focus was on Microsoft Kinect, Call of Duty style gaming which took up a huge area and a fighting tourny which focused on many modern fighers inc SF IV etc. The original had elements of this with Nintendo pimping the then new Kirby, Sega pimping Sonic 4 and the COD stuff but it wasnt as prevalent. There was also less choice as to what to play, with many systems having one game on all weekend, rather than Multicarts and what not from the first expo.( which in part was due to theft, part due to not having the games available)

Obviously there is a need to attract the corporate element to make it pay for itself and help make it appeal to a wider audience, I just feel that the retro is beginning to take less of a focus. With a move to Manchester, increased hiring costs potentially (Norbreck was around 5k iirc) then either tickets will go up, and/ or there will be an increased corporate presence to make sure it turns a profit.

Manchester Central / G-Mex is probable unless they can find somewhere around Salford Quays.

Unofficial word says that "it's away from the city centre". So I'd guess Salford Quays.

Gmex is booked for the weekend of the 13/14th or at least part of it to clarifiy Gladstone's point.

Event City is free at Trafford, so Im guessing it will end up there.

• Paid Members
I'm not particularly happy about the move away from the seaside ( It doesnt have to be Blackpool, could have been any seaside it went to) because I feel it loses something by going to be held in a city away from a USP of being a retro based event in a place helping to evoke retro memories in a place where many people will have played games on holidays and so on. With that lost it will just be another 'event' that just happens to have a a focus on, but not be exclusively about retro.

Any Seaside?

Even Rhyl?

Speaking of Ocean, I had to visit Central Street today. It brough back some great memories of when they used to hand out posters and stickers of the new games to regulars. Really miss that.

Any Seaside?

Even Rhyl?

Speaking of Ocean, I had to visit Central Street today. It brough back some great memories of when they used to hand out posters and stickers of the new games to regulars. Really miss that.

I've not been to Rhyl for around 20 years, but any seaside that has the facilities to hold the event then, not bothered. I'd not be going for night life, extras and what not. I'd be going to the expo for the nostalgia hit, some retro gaming, especially Pinballs, some beer drinking and meeting up with people Fish and chips and some sea air and reminiscing about holidays. The end, the rest of it is superfluous.

Archived