NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Decent, if uneventful episode this week. Link

Results in tags in case anyone doesn't want to know what's what...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Opening match saw Adrian Neville take on Bray Wyatt. Match gets thrown out a few minutes in when the Family interfere and start beating on A-Nev. Kassius Ohno and Corey Graves make the save. Dusty Rhodes pulls a Teddy Long and books a six man tag team main event.

Sami Zayn defeated Angelo Dawkins. Dawkins is a big black dude with a pretty average physique. It's a relatively short match. Zayn uses a turnbuckle assisted tornado DDT for the finish.

Weird Leo Kruger vignette airs. He's a pretty good character I think, his accent is great.

Summer Rae advanced past Sasha Banks in the NXT Women's Championship tournament. Summer is a great heel.

Xavier Woods backstage promo. Not sure what to make of this dude, his character is all over the place, but I enjoyed him when he was Consequences Creed. His gimmick seems to be that age-old staple of 'dancing black guy' crossed with being a bit of a nerd for all things 1990's. It needs a lot of work, but you can see that the guy has charisma. He's wrestling next...

Woods beats Jake Carter (Vader's son). Carter's got a good look, a bit like a tough version of The Miz.

Sami Zayn challenges Antonio Cesaro to a match. They're 1-1, so he wants round three.

Sylvester LeFort is chatting to his redneck pals Garrett Dylan and Scott Dawson. A real odd combination, but I don't mind it. Dusty Rhodes appears and books them into a number one contender match for the NXT tag titles next week against Graves and Ohno. LeFort is pretty good here, he's a larger-than-life cartoon character that looks and talks like something from 1989. I've no idea if he can work at all, he seems to be acting solely as manager for these guys.

New NXT champ Bo Dallas cuts a promo whilst he's sat in his car, camera-phone style. He's playing the disingenuous babyface role really well. He's mega excitable and thanks all his 'Bo-lievers' for supporting him since his victory last week. He can't be at NXT tonight because he's been too busy, but he will be back next week. He signs off by singing 'Don't Stop Bo-lieving!' It's good.

They advertise Big E for next week. I thought he'd be done with NXT now that he's finally dropped the belt and he's full time on the main roster.

Main event time. We've really been spoiled by outstanding six-main main events on WWE this year and so unfortunately this one feels plodding and drawn out compared to the outings of The Shield and Team Hell No. I don't know when exactly Ohno and Graves were supposed to have turned face, but it feels like Neville is the only established babyface in the match. He takes the fall after missing on the 'Red Arrow' which is what they're calling his corkscrew SSP now.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Must admit I loved the Bo Dallas promo. Him shooting himself on his phone in his car was a nice touch. It's always nice see the wrestlers somewhere that isn't the arena/studio.

Leo Kruger is bloody hilarious. Couldn't understand a word of it but loved the vignette especially when his wacky grin fills the screen as he's chatting shit to the sky.

mqdefault.jpg

Sylvester LeFort's equally as camp/great. Not sure about his tag team though. I'm always up for a couple of trailer rednecks and I like that one does the Hansen "HEEE!" thing but they look like a couple of boring plebs. That finishing move they used where one bloke drops a sitting axehandle from the turnbuckle looks more like his hitting a second rope ball sack drop.

Ohno's done nothing for me yet and Cory's all look and no trousers. Looking foreword to Neville, Summer Ray, Emma and Paige getting the call up.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I agree that the redneck team look pretty shit from what we've seen so far. Nothing remarkable about their size, look or ring work and that sitting axehandle drop really is a poor looking finishing move. I'd be surprised if they ever got called up.

• Paid Members

The "to prove I keep my promises, despite how busy I've been this week, I said I'd do it and I did: I went to disneyworld!" And then singing don't stop bo lieving had me in stitches. I think his official heel turn was the match he beat big E in

• Paid Members

Been late to the NXT party but its so encouraging to see its full of characters and interesting folk, rather than a roster full of lads who all look like Ted Dibiase Jnr.On that note, does the internet owe an apology to WWE regarding Sami Zayn? He's shown a boat load of personality and promise without the mask. You could always go back to it at some point, but I think Id rather see him called up as he is now..

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

Yeah, I agree that the redneck team look pretty shit from what we've seen so far. Nothing remarkable about their size, look or ring work and that sitting axehandle drop really is a poor looking finishing move. I'd be surprised if they ever got called up.

FWIW, Garrett Dylan has the "Kris Kristofferson's son" thing going for him. Might get him a shot one day.I'm really liking "That 90's Guy" Xavier Woods. Great fun, and his theme is amazing. Love a wrestler singing along to his own music, too. "Lost in the Woods" is a shit name for a finisher though, even for a goofy character. Either of the names Gail Kim's used for the move (Sole Food/Eat Defeat) would actually work really well for Woods, if they can get away with nicking one (I know TNA use "Eat Defeat" now, but I don't recall if "Sole Food" was a prior TNA name, or used in WWE. Get the feeling it was the former, and they just changed it on a whim). Otherwise, give it a name with a 90's TV reference.

I know Twitter is a minefield for wrestling spoilers, but in the last hour I've seen 3 different WWE employees spoiling the result of the NXT Womens Tournament. Renee Young, Rosa Mendes, and the winner of the tournament itself! Bad form ladies, why not wait until it's aired?!