NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Awards Moderator

Thought the opener was great. It's the most I've ever enjoyed Emma. Or Asuka for that matter.

Ā 

Add me to the people who were deflated when Enzo & Cass didn't win. I guess they're never getting the titles :(

Ā 

Wasn't too bothered about Crews and Corbin.

Ā 

Bayley and Nia got better as it went on, and had pulled me in by the end. Bayley did kick out of a lot, but I think that was fine when Nia was being so lacklustre in her covers. Her overconfidence was her undoing. Bayley's faith in her friends is hers.

Ā 

Sorry, Star Wars on the brain today.

Ā 

I thought the main event was absolutely excellent. Contrary to a couple of posts above, I felt this was the first time Finn's 'got' the idea that he should act a bit differently when he's the Demon, and Joe is (dare I say it) getting back to his best. Great match.

Bayley and Nia got better as it went on, and had pulled me in by the end. Bayley did kick out of a lot, but I think that was fine when Nia was being so lacklustre in her covers. Her overconfidence was her undoing. Bayley's faith in her friends is hers.

That's pretty what I took from. You can do about the scrubs who are still finding their feet at the performance centre, but Bayley is a step above all of them and the reigning champion will has thought to achieve her dream, and her heart really shone through showing how she isn't going to let that slip away so easily. Like I say, it delivered much more than I thought it would

I find the Triple H thing irritating and weird too. Was that actually on the broadcast? And on the subject of Balor I saw bags of poise, presence and star quality in him last night - totally convinced me that he has "it", moreso than Joe, who I also really like. Plus Joe's more likely to be booked horribly if he does make the main roster.

Finally home after a long couple of days. We did the Def Leppard, Whitesnake, and Black Star Riders show in Manchester on Tuesday. Then headed down to Wembley for the meet and greet gimmick before Takeover. Me and the Mrs were 2nd row ringside, so can't complain about the view at all. Such a great show to be in the arena for. Crowd were hot, and most of the matches were pretty great. the HHH thing didn't bother me all that much. I guess i just see it as him trying to use his own star to say NXT is something special. I liked the fact he waved off the "Triple H, Triple H" chant that started in the arena. And i don't think he overstayed his welcome. I'm a big Uhaa fan, but it wasn't a great showing from him. To be honest, he seemed a step off from the moment he hit the stairs. Definitely seemed more legit and not a work. Great effort by Corbin throughout, easily the best he's ever looked.

• Paid Members

One thing from that show that I absolutely loved watching on the Network over the course of the last couple nights, quite simply the lighting of that arena was wonderful. The ring gloriously lit the first few rows in ambiance, and the rest pretty much darkness. Had a real old school look to it, the type of lighting Austin raves about every other podcast. Just had a great feel to it solely down to the lighting.Ā 

Ā 

More of this WWE.

Ā 

A good show that with opener being my fave match of the card by a long way.

One thing from that show that I absolutely loved watching on the Network over the course of the last couple nights, quite simply the lighting of that arena was wonderful. The ring gloriously lit the first few rows in ambiance, and the rest pretty much darkness. Had a real old school look to it, the type of lighting Austin raves about every other podcast. Just had a great feel to it solely down to the lighting.Ā 

Ā 

More of this WWE.

Ā 

A good show that with opener being my fave match of the card by a long way.

I really liked it but thought maybe just a tiny bit too dark during matches because of the ridge at wembley. When they zoomed out and put the lights up a bit so far away looked almost black and white I thought it looked fantastic

Ā 

Ā 

Oh great, those "hey! we want some Bayley!" cretins are back this week.

it's a New Day inspired chant, inspired off a 2 Live Crew track. I'll take it, it sure beats 'tater tots' or 'Justin Bieber'
I understand what it's derived from, but they're chanting "we want some Bayley" and yet she's directly in front of them trying to work a match. It's another example of "chant for the sake of chant". It's probably me making a mountain out of a molehill as much as anything, but sometimes you do wish that they would just shut the fuck up. I'm sure we've all been to shows, gigs or whatever where we've ended up next to someone or a group who are acting a right bunch of twats

And I'm still none the wiser as to what tater- tots are

Darts springs to mind straight away for chants at PDC events. It's gone stale now as no new ones have been created during actual play. It's always the Yaya and stand up if you love the darts bore! One song I can't make out. It sounds like the crowd are saying "boring boring Neville" If so, that sums Gary to a tee!

Ā 

I'm thankful that the London crowd at NXT sung at least a different one to the usual Full Sail crowd chants for Bayley. The same song that Tony O Shea used at the Grand Slam of Darts for several years. Can't wait to see the brand grow in the UK for years to come. The new Monday Night Raw

• Paid Members

Darts springs to mind straight away for chants at PDC events. It's gone stale now as no new ones have been created during actual play. It's always the Yaya and stand up if you love the darts bore! One song I can't make out. It sounds like the crowd are saying "boring boring Neville" If so, that sums Gary to a tee!

It's "Boring, Boring Tables", sang by the people in the tiers towards those on the tables on the floor when they aren't doing much.

Ā 

All of the chants/songs heard at Takeover have been BritWres staples for a couple of years now, just with names switched etc. There's definitely been a shift in that direction at the "bigger" BritWres shows (PCW, PROGRESS, RevPro, ICW) towards more of the traditional, fun British/European sports atmosphere over the past few years, and away from the old "US sports" style chanting that was just copied from what we saw on TV. In fact, it's been organic with those British promotions helping to create a British wrestling 'identity' instead of, again, just being a copy of US TV products. Takeover was like the pinnacle of that so far. Watching on TV it sounded exactly like a big BritWres show, only with improved production and star power. It was great.

Ā 

I love it - people criticising it for 'singing to the point of ignoring the match' completely missed the point. All of the singing and chanting was based entirely on what was happening in the match at that time: bad guy has the heat? Give him a chant to mock him. Good guy does something good? Give them a song to show approval. Good guy getting beat up? Sing at them to encourage them to fight back. It's exactly the same in a match as the generic clapping or chanting you get in any other US match, but just the unique British way of doing it.

Ā 

I only hope it doesn't lead to the "We Are Awesome" wankers thinking they have to try hard to 'create' that atmosphere in the future instead of it happening organically and missing the point of WHY it was good. That would be forced shit.