William Regal

PSF

• Paid Members

Simply put, it's too late for a title run. It'd be lovely and I'd be absolutely over the moon, but it would just be a short sited and irresponsible move on the part of the company. Part of me does think he should've had the honour of being crowned the first ever English World champion, but it doesn't mean he should have a devine right to be so. I think the honour will go to Wade Barrett in the future, possibly even this year. Infact with the Olympics coming up in the summer it wouldn't surprise me if he picked up one of the two titles then.

Back to Regal though, and should he at least have a title match with Bryan? Fuck yes! One, it's going to be an excellent match. Two, if they can pull off some sweet false finishes in front of a piped up UK crowd it could well be one of the matches of the year. Plus, it doesn't have to be the main event of the show if they're so concious about giving Regal too much spotlight ahead of other talents. I say let it happen, but it could all be done in one night rather than a full on programme or rivalry. Have Bryan cut one of his smarmy promos at the start of the show, then have his lordship appear, make the challenge and go from there.

Aside from all this World title stuff, I'd love to see more of Regal on TV doing comedy stuff, he's splendid.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have them do a short build to a Title match on TV (ideally in the UK), with Regal doing the whole "humble old bloke wants one more chance against former pupil" story.

Give them a good 15 minutes and end it with a decisive, violent, clean win for Bryan. Have him look down in disdain at Regal before walking off with the belt, leaving Regal a quivering wreck. Have Regal slowly get to his feet to a nice ovation and limp out.

Then, a few weeks later at Bryan's next PPV defense you have Regal run out after a Ref bump to "get revenge" on Bryan, only for the two to join forces and screw over whoever Bryan was against. At that point you have Regal positioned as Bryan's manager, cementing the alliance with a promo where he states that he had to give it one last chance against Bryan, and the match proved that Bryan is more vile, sadistic and violent than Regal could ever hope to be now. Bryan is the real deal and Regal wants a close-up view of all the action.

Adds to Bryan's heel character and gives Regal plenty of time on TV without having him wrestle (though he certainly could be in the odd tag match here and there). They'd make a great double act as a pair of total bastards.

• Moderators

I'd not use Regal as a heel these days, to be honest. He's at that point where people just want to like him. Smackdown's proof positive of that. The reaction he got even negated the SD Crowd Sweetening Hairdryer.

• Paid Members

I've never been the biggest fan of Regal the wrestler. I think he's a fantastic speaker and actor but a dull wrestler. However, anyone saying he can't be World Champion is wrong. To do so totally overrates the WWE main event scene right now. There's no-one who's a credible draw other than Cena and no-one with any long held credibility. Current champion Daniel Bryan was an after-thought from winning the MITB to winning the World title. Mark Henry was a smiley babyface and consistent failure a year ago. Anyone with Regal's speaking ability and back catalogue of matches with name stars could be World Champion. They could show highlight reels of Regal beating up Austin, Rock, Savage, Hogan, Sting, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Misterio, Angle, Flair, Triple H, etc. Well probably not Benoit but you get the point.

• Moderators
I've never been the biggest fan of Regal the wrestler. I think he's a fantastic speaker and actor but a dull wrestler. However, anyone saying he can't be World Champion is wrong. To do so totally overrates the WWE main event scene right now. There's no-one who's a credible draw other than Cena and no-one with any long held credibility. Current champion Daniel Bryan was an after-thought from winning the MITB to winning the World title. Mark Henry was a smiley babyface and consistent failure a year ago. Anyone with Regal's speaking ability and back catalogue of matches with name stars could be World Champion. They could show highlight reels of Regal beating up Austin, Rock, Savage, Hogan, Sting, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Misterio, Angle, Flair, Triple H, etc. Well probably not Benoit but you get the point.

Mark Henry and Big Show have turned out ot be credible draws. Fucking right, because those two are the best two workers from WWE from 2011. Cream rises to the top Rick at some point. Even if they're booked poorly, people will still give a shit if they're a real star.

Also, Rey Mysterio is a huge draw, so you're off the compass there as well. I even believe Herb Meltz said that Batista and Rey are fucking box office.

• Paid Members

I wasn't counting Rey because he's perma-injured. Same as 'Taker. I was talking about Henry with the "long held credibility". He's affected SD ratings this year I think but they've done that by properly booking him and letting his work speak for itself. He isn't someone who's always been a draw, ha and they turned him around. Never seen anything to suggest Big Show affects numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Its a real shame that he's not featuring in the main shows as much as he should be doing. Think he should become a manager for Drew McIntyre or Wade Barrett. Mason Ryan even. Something to get him back involved in storylines.

• Paid Members

Three things:-

1) That's a work of bloody genius from Regal.

2) Kaitlyn really is a marvellous looking woman. Just splendid.

3) NXT is STILL going?! What fucking season is this now? Who won the last few?

Archived